• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Russian FSB used irish passports

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Interesting story this. It seems one of the Russian agents returned by the US to Russia was using a fake Irish passport. More accuratly the passport or the profile of a real one were stolen from someone involved in an Irish charity working in Russia:

RT News: Russian spy passport link investigated

Might we now expect the expulsion of a Russian diplomat as happened to Israel when it abused Irish passports?

eoghanacht

Yes and lets write a stongly worded letter, because i doubt the russians give two hoots about what a tiny country on the outskirts of Europe does or says.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Yes and lets write a stongly worded letter, because i doubt the russians give two hoots about what a tiny country on the outskirts of Europe does or says.
The expulsion of a diplomatic official is not a small matter and has been done before in relation to the abuse of Irish passports recently. In terms of a statement it is much stronger than any "strongly worded letter".

I am of the opinion that we in Ireland should have a legal mechanism which is triggered by such Irish passport abuse by foreign powers. That way all sanction is automatic and applied without bias. If the government fails to act it could be compelled to do so, if it does act it has the defence of being bound by Irish law to act. Thus any foreign power abusing Irish passports would know that, if caught, there will be fall out.

It would reinforce the value that Irish passports have instead of seeing them debased for foreign intelligence services use. It does not matter what Moscow or Tel Aviv think.

seabhcan

I am of the opinion that we in Ireland should have a legal mechanism which is triggered by such Irish passport abuse by foreign powers. That way all sanction is automatic and applied without bias. If the government fails to act it could be compelled to do so, if it does act it has the defence of being bound by Irish law to act. Thus any foreign power abusing Irish passports would know that, if caught, there will be fall out.

It would reinforce the value that Irish passports have instead of seeing them debased for foreign intelligence services use. It does not matter what Moscow or Tel Aviv think.
What happens when the American's do it? We would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we tried to 'sanction' them.

Stealling a passport for use by spies is a political act - I prefer it is dealt with politically rather than legally.

niropiro

They will be shaking in their boots when we launch air strikes.

That's our entire air force by the way - there really are four planes. No photoshop tricks!

Maximus Cynicus

Reminds me of the Cold War story of the Russian "sleeper" that was strategically placed in Killarney by the KGB. One day,, they decided that they would have to use him for garnering information so they called for Ivan, his handler to travel to Ireland to brief him on his duties.

Ivan was instructed to go to Killarney and make contact with the sleeper who was called Michael O'Suilleabhan. The code words were "There is 6 inches of snow expected on Carrahntouhill this week" to which the reply was "Yes, it is bound to destroy the potato crop"

So Ivan arrived in Killarney and went into the first pub he saw. He went up to the barman and asked "Hey, comrade, could you direct me to Michael O'Suilleabhan please?". The barman looked at him and said "There's a lot of Mickey O'Sullivans around - in fact my own name is Mickey O'Sullivan. Can I help you?"

"There is six inches of snow expected on Carrahntouhill this week" says Ivan

Ah, said the barman, "Tis Mickey the spy you're looking for - he's over there in the corner"

stanley

Any one of three former FF leaders could have sold the Russians passports for money/investment, Charlie, Albert or the fav - Ahern, they all have form in this department.

eoghanacht

The expulsion of a diplomatic official is not a small matter and has been done before in relation to the abuse of Irish passports recently. In terms of a statement it is much stronger than any "strongly worded letter".

We floged passports to the highest bidders for god sake, our own governments weren't to bothered about debasing them. Why would the Isrealis or the Russian care.

It has happend before and will continue to happen, expect a lot more countries to be abusing them. Now that the cats out of the bag Irsish passport holders will probably be scrutinised more than the cursory glance that we would be used to.

Last edited:

FrankSpeaks

When the Israeli's did this there was about 500 replies by now telling us how outrageous it was.

It seems to me that P.ie is populated with an awful lot of anti-semite commies.

Ah Well

They will be shaking in their boots when we launch air strikes.

That's our entire air force by the way - there really are four planes. No photoshop tricks!
No, we are advised that the Air Corps "currently operates 17 fixed wing aircraft and 10 rotary wing aircraft along with two simulators"
Defence Forces - Air Corps - Introduction

But yeah, the Russkis would finish them off in 5 minutes if it came to it.

Sounds like Micky Martin & the Dept have a fun few days in store

Last edited:

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Any one of three former FF leaders could have sold the Russians passports for money/investment, Charlie, Albert or the fav - Ahern, they all have form in this department.
.. but the passport in question was one used by an Irish charity worker in Russia. The details of that legitimate passport were then used to create a fake identity, thus used in an illegitimate passport. That some of our politicians have abused the Irish passports system is no secret, but that is an Irish problem. Foriegn powers using fake Irish passports is entirely differant. Mossad used Irish passports to carry out assasinations, but sure thats okay because Charlie Hauighy sold Irish citizenship to rich Arabs? That argument sounds like bullsh*t because it is bullsh*t.

seabhcan

Reminds me of the Cold War story of the Russian "sleeper" that was strategically placed in Killarney by the KGB. One day,, they decided that they would have to use him for garnering information so they called for Ivan, his handler to travel to Ireland to brief him on his duties.

Ivan was instructed to go to Killarney and make contact with the sleeper who was called Michael O'Suilleabhan. The code words were "There is 6 inches of snow expected on Carrahntouhill this week" to which the reply was "Yes, it is bound to destroy the potato crop"

So Ivan arrived in Killarney and went into the first pub he saw. He went up to the barman and asked "Hey, comrade, could you direct me to Michael O'Suilleabhan please?". The barman looked at him and said "There's a lot of Mickey O'Sullivans around - in fact my own name is Mickey O'Sullivan. Can I help you?"

Ah, said the barman, "Tis Mickey the spy you're looking for - he's over there in the corner"
:)

Twin Towers

Good joke. Unfortunately multiculti destroys that type of cosy familiarity.

"Tis Mohammed the spy you're looking for".

Don't think so.

"Yer one in the burka", nah, too obvious.

Interista

When the Israeli's did this there was about 500 replies by now telling us how outrageous it was.

It seems to me that P.ie is populated with an awful lot of anti-semite commies.
You 'forget' that there were also about 500 replies from Israel's cheerleaders telling us that there was 'no proof' Israel was involved, despite the fact that it was clear as day that they were. If a whole string of trolls came on to this thread urging us to suspend judgement on the Russian case until it was proved beyond doubt (ie never), this thread would be just as long as the one you refer to.

stanley

.. but the passport in question was one used by an Irish charity worker in Russia. The details of that legitimate passport were then used to create a fake identity, thus used in an illegitimate passport. That some of our politicians have abused the Irish passports system is no secret, but that is an Irish problem. Foriegn powers using fake Irish passports is entirely differant. Mossad used Irish passports to carry out assasinations, but sure thats okay because Charlie Hauighy sold Irish citizenship to rich Arabs? That argument sounds like bullsh*t because it is bullsh*t.

Yes I fully realise the passport in question was stolen and then adjusted, the point I am making is 3 FF Taoiseach had no problems selling on passports for "cash", they might well say they only sold 50, but it could well have been a 1000, once they get near a bubble they inflate and rauck it til it bursts.

It is not really an Irish problem, once the passports have been sold the new overseas owners will do as they please as they have paid the piper.

gaiusc

Phoenix magazine covered the use of Irish passports by foreign intelligence agencies before stating that us turning a blind eye to it, ensured that we got access to higher grade intelligence than we would normally get.

myksav

Yes I fully realise the passport in question was stolen and then adjusted, the point I am making is 3 FF Taoiseach had no problems selling on passports for "cash", they might well say they only sold 50, but it could well have been a 1000, once they get near a bubble they inflate and rauck it til it bursts.

It is not really an Irish problem, once the passports have been sold the new overseas owners will do as they please as they have paid the piper.
And who was in power when Bob McNamara and Ollie North was in and out of Tehran using Irish passports ? Oh yes it was Garret.