Rwanda - 99% victory for Kagame

gleeful

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/05/paul-kagame-secures-third-term-in-rwanda-presidential-election

After 17 years in power it is shocking that 1% of Rwandans still can't find it within themselves to support Kagame - I guess some people will never be happy!
Kagame has achieved amazing successes during his time in power. He has kept the peace, by profitably exporting war to neighbouring Congo.

The mineral wealth exported from Congo mines under Kagame control includes critical components of just about every smartphone in the world.

Hillmanhunter1

Kagame has achieved amazing successes during his time in power. He has kept the peace, by profitably exporting war to neighbouring Congo.

The mineral wealth exported from Congo mines under Kagame control includes critical components of just about every smartphone in the world.
So how on God's good earth could an entire 1% fail to acknowledge and support this benevolent Leviathan?

Catalpast

mr_anderson

It does pose an important question, if you were to rig an election, what % support would you allocate to yourself ?

Hillmanhunter1

It does pose an important question, if you were to rig an election, what % support would you allocate to yourself ?
The percentage required to change the constitution + 2 (I changed my mind, I had originally posted +1, but that would be on the skinny side)..

gleeful

So how on God's good earth could an entire 1% fail to acknowledge and support this benevolent Leviathan?
Unfortunately, Mr Frank Habineza, the opposition candidate and his party just couldn't cut it. In fact, his colleague, Mr Andre Kagwa Rwisereka lost his head.

Gin Soaked

The percentage required to change the constitution + 2 (I changed my mind, I had originally posted +1, but that would be on the skinny side)..
No, you need a credible (cooked) mandate.

So you need to be 20% ahead of any alternative result...

Mick Mac

1%

Then I'd wait to see who complained and start sending out the trucks.

Outlaw101

That is why he was trained in Tanzania and Uganda and the US before the war by the US and installed. It was much easier to access the resources by establishing in Rwanda and use it has a side door rather than try go in and hold the Congo. There are accustaions that western powers were involved in Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarimana death when his plane was shot down above Kigali airport on 6 April 1994, the event that triggered to genocide.

In fairness we needed those resources in the Congo for the new technological economy and the only way would could get them was be establishing a base in neighboring Rwanda.

If I was Maduro I wouldn't be getting on any planes for the foreseeable future. :oops:

I don't think we are allowed criticise Kegame. Well, not according to the US, Britain and the UN.

This BBC documentary below was very controversial and caused international condemnation. BBC have tried to bury it since but it survives on some platforms.

[video=vimeo;107867605]https://vimeo.com/107867605[/video]

Last edited:

gleeful

That is why he was trained in Tanzania and Uganda and the US before the war by the US and installed. It was much easier to access the resources by establishing in Rwanda and use it has a side door rather than try go in and hold the Congo. There are accustaions that western powers were involved in Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarimana when his plane was shot down above Kigali airport on 6 April 1994, the event that triggered to genocide.

I don't think we are allowed criticise Kegame. Well, not according to the US, Britain and the UN.

This BBC documentary below was very controversial and caused international condemnation. BBC have tried to bury it since but it survives on some platforms.

[video=vimeo;107867605]https://vimeo.com/107867605[/video]
There's good and bad in Rwanda. Internally its relatively functional, certainly in comparison to its neighbours. Its probably the best run and least corrupt nation in the region, if you ignore its activities next door.

What should happen is a bit counter intuitive: Rwanda should annex the territories of Congo it controls. It would then acquire not just the mineral wealth there (which it has already) but also responsibility for the people there.

former wesleyan

99% is de rigeur in more places than Rwanda. Assad and Saddam come to mind and they're - or were - lauded as secular.

Karloff

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/05/paul-kagame-secures-third-term-in-rwanda-presidential-election

After 17 years in power it is shocking that 1% of Rwandans still can't find it within themselves to support Kagame - I guess some people will never be happy!
What is shocking is the tone of praise for him in that article which only goes so far as to say he is ' a bit authoritarian'. That's the protection a genocidal scumbag gets from the 'international community' and their media assets when they are friends with London, Washington and Israel and helped open up neighbouring Congo to their corporations.

Contrast that with the treatment of Maduro in Venezuela or Gaddafi.

Karloff

Good one for a caption that. 'Hey Tony you don't stand beside me, i killed millions - nobody is in my league' Blair: 'Well i tried'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies