Ryan Tubridy's JFK In Ireland

niropiro

I watched Tubridy's documentary last night about JFK's visit to Ireland in 1963 which was pretty entertaining having watched an old black and white RTE documentary on Youtube a while ago.
The documentary used a lot of rarely seen color film of the visit which really brought the era to life.
Tubridy seems to have let the mask slip and appears to be as we suspected a hopeless Kennedy phile - remember that Tubridy Tonight set with the wooden desk which looked suspiciously like Kennedy's desk in the oval office?
I think I remember Tubs released his choice of lounge lizard music collection - Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett etc two Christmases in a row?
Tubridy curiously has a part on the left side of his head and wears slim fitting suits, skinny ties, a folded hanky in the breast pocket and large white cuffs?
Does he want to be a Kennedy?
Does he think he is a Kennedy?
Must be the 'y' at the end of his name makes them blood brothers?
Tubridy's adoration of Bill Clinton and his near deification of Obama - both men whose public image is clearly an attempt to ape Kennedy - surely bears this out.
Tubridy at points got almost tear eyed especially as he fingered a set of rosary beads which Kennedy wore in his pocket in Dallas, Texas.
Does Tubridy sit at home watching endless reruns of the Zapruder film?
Has his obssession taken over his life?
But most importantly - why now?
President Kennedy visited Ireland 47 years ago.
Surely such a lavish documentary, book and color newspaper supplement in the Indo would be more suited to the 50th anniversary?

Last edited:

Tomas Mor

I watched Tubridy's documentary last night about JFK's visit to Ireland in 1963 which was pretty entertaining having watched an old black and white RTE documentary on Youtube a while ago.
The documentary used a lot of rarely seen color film of the visit which really brought the era to life.
Tubridy seems to have let the mask slip and appears to be as we suspected a hopeless Kennedy phile - remember that Tubridy Tonight set with the wooden desk which looked suspiciously like Kennedy's desk in the oval office?
I think I remember Tubs released his choice of lounge lizard music collection - Sinatra, Dean Martine, Tony Bennet etc two Christmases in a row?
Tubridy curiously has a party on the left side of his head and wears slim fitting suits, a folded hanky in the breast pocket and large white cuffs?
Tubridy at points got almost tear eyed especially as he fingered a set of rosary beads which Kennedy wore in his pocket in Dallas, Texas.
Very good post. Meanwhile his LLS turns to dust. Most noticeable thing about this programme was fact that DevilEire took exception to what Kennedy said in Dail, about Leinster House not inspiring the brighest ideas (quoting LE Fitzgerald) . Dev ticked him off about up in the Áas, and managed to have this part of Kennedy speech expunged from the record. I am amazed that this was allowed out even now by Tubs and RTE. I posted a comment about this on separate Dev site which is live at moment.

Odyessus

I think I remember Tubs released his choice of lounge lizard music collection - Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett etc two Christmases in a row?
Tubridy curiously has a part on the left side of his head and wears slim fitting suits, skinny ties, a folded hanky in the breast pocket and large white cuffs?
Tubridy's adoration of Bill Clinton and his near deification of Obama - both men whose public image is clearly an attempt to ape Kennedy - surely bears this out.
Surely such a lavish documentary, book and color newspaper supplement in the Indo would be more suited to the 50th anniversary?
Tubridy seems to have let the mask slip and appears to be as we suspected a hopeless Kennedy phile...

There was no mask. Turbidy openly declared his admiration and fascination for Kennedy.

I thought it was an excellent documentary.

niropiro

There was no mask. Turbidy openly declared his admiration and fascination for Kennedy.

I thought it was an excellent documentary.
I thought it was excellent but Tubridy's obsession with Kennedy appears to be pathological. Like Gollum and his precious me thinks.:lol:

Vega1447

Doesn't Tubridy have a book coming out re JFK's visit?

Handy to be able to promote your own book on the TV station owned by your employers...

And nice of the Indo to feature it....

Odyessus

Very good post. Meanwhile his LLS turns to dust. Most noticeable thing about this programme was fact that DevilEire took exception to what Kennedy said in Dail, about Leinster House not inspiring the brighest ideas (quoting LE Fitzgerald) . Dev ticked him off about up in the Áas, and managed to have this part of Kennedy speech expunged from the record. I am amazed that this was allowed out even now by Tubs and RTE. I posted a comment about this on separate Dev site which is live at moment.
The remark quoted by Kennedy was made in a letter written by Lord Edward Fitzgerald to his mother when Leinster House was the family home. "Leinster House does not inspire the brightest ideas."

It was very undiplomatic of Kennedy to repeat it to the Dail, even in jest.

I'm sure a similar quip by De Valera in the U.S. Congress would have similarly gone down like a lead balloon.

Mugabe

The one thing I learned from the documentary and then subsequently using youtube was the invitation of the Irish cadets which is still unheard of today for a US state funeral. A nice touch.

breakingnews

Kennedy was not the first Irish American president as was said on the show the other night. He was the first Irish Catholic president.

Does Tubridy enjoy the political achievements of Kennedy or the human drama, tragedy of the Kennedy family?

drjimryan2

I enjoyed the programme and will probably get the book as a birthday present(what else do you buy political anoraks for birthdays?).......

However, little was new to me as a couple of years ago a really great dvd came free with the irish times......perhaps they should reissue it....

enjoy!...

eyeSpy

will watch online.
he was on with ian dempsey yesterday morning.
i must say as one who had a deep dislike for the man he came across very well.
he was self deprecating, informed and fairly interesting.
he has a long admitted grá for all things old and american.
you have to admit the 60's, from a distance, looked fierce classy and he wouldn't be alone in his fascination with the period. and Kennedy was a major part of that period so it stands to reason he'd have an interest there too.

I cannot believe I am defending Tubridy!

RTE should have him presenting an arts review show, not light entertainment. he seems to see the people who populate the celeb sector as the empty vessels that they are and can't relate.

constitutionus

Handy to be able to promote your own book on the TV station owned by your employers...

+ one million.

dear gods lads this is all about Ryan Turbidy Enterprises.

if he'd just wrote a book about pig farming you can bet your arse he'd be going on about it for just as long.

shameless self promotiong and self enrichment.

Tomas Mor

Kennedy was not the first Irish American president as was said on the show the other night. He was the first Irish Catholic president.

Does Tubridy enjoy the political achievements of Kennedy or the human drama, tragedy of the Kennedy family?

So it was ok for our dictator to have it removed from the official record - something that was fact and existed . Please get a grip.

Highking

I wasn't aware that there was another Irish American president, what was his name?

florin

Indeed. I wonder what Tubs would have to say about electoral fraud, the Bay of Pigs, JFK ignoring black civil rights...

Goodbody

A lady called Dot Tubridy is/was the Kennedy's main point person and guide when they came to Ireland. I presume Ryan Tubridy is a relation of hers, so once again he is playing off his family connections.

Odyessus

You are correct about Irish-American Presidents, strictly speaking, but I think Kennedy was the first to openly welcome the label. His predecessors regarded themselves as simply American.

I think Turbidy said his fascination began with Kennedy's glamour on his Presidential visit to Ireland.

Ganyer

What would they be?

Odyessus

So it was ok for our dictator to have it removed from the official record - something that was fact and existed . Please get a grip.

Either this is a non sequitur or you meant to address my post. I will assume the latter.

De Valera later told Kennedy that his remark was offensive. Kennedy of course meant no offence; I am sure he wished he had not said what he did. No-one wants to offend his hosts.

Excising the remark from the official record was a sensible solution, as leaving it in would have been a permanent embarrassment to Kennedy.

There is nothing dictatorial in exercising sensible diplomacy.

White Rose

A lady called Dot Tubridy is/was the Kennedy's main point person and guide when they came to Ireland. I presume Ryan Tubridy is a relation of hers, so once again he is playing off his family connections.
Dot was (is) his mother. that's why he's obsessed by the Kennedys.

I thought the documentary was a bit boring, nothing new apart from Schlesinger insisting they put in a quote by Joyce. Tubs is flavour of the month at the moment but I wonder how long that will last. He looks bored on the LLS half the time (can't say I blame him)

Tomas Mor

Either this is a non sequitur or you meant to address my post. I will assume the latter.

De Valera later told Kennedy that his remark was offensive. Kennedy of course meant no offence; I am sure he wished he had not said what he did. No-one wants to offend his hosts.

Excising the remark from the official record was a sensible solution, as leaving it in would have been a permanent embarrassment to Kennedy.

There is nothing dictatorial in exercising sensible diplomacy.
This was a bit like dictating what Collins family could put on headstone to MC in Glasnevin, what type of material could be used, that no photographer be present,( an American tourist was present and happened to snap it) So it's ok for Dev to have official record tampered with ,even with President of US ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies