• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ryanair tearing up PSO route from Dublin to Kerry, cutting flights to 1 a day

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Ryanair has announced this morning that it will not be observing the PSO licence to run three flights from Dublin to Kerry as of October 31st.

Ryanair has said it is doing so because the Minister for Transpost has "refused" to honour the obligation to contribute towards increased "huge" Govt costs of servicing the route, Ryanair has namely identified the "€4 tourist tax, the 40% rise in DAA airport fees and higher ATC charges" as additional costs that under the PSO the Govt have an obligation to support.

A spokesman for Ryanair has told Politics.ie that the aircraft that is permanently servicing the Dublin to Kerry route based at Kerry airport will be soon taken off the route, and the soon-to-be once-daily service will be serviced from within the general Ryanair fleet. Ryanair has said the decision to run the service on a commercial-only basis will save the taxpayer €2m.

Ryanair, which already pays ‘out of hours costs’ of €76 per passenger to Kerry Airport (for the early morning departure and the late evening arrival) will now operate the Kerry-Dublin route on a commercial basis without any PSO subsidy whatsoever from 31st Oct thereby saving the taxpayer almost €2m annually.

The Minister for Transport has refused to honour the PSO contract which requires him to increase payments to reflect the Govt tourist tax and the Govt imposed increase in DAA and ATC charges which have added an extra €19 per passenger on the Kerry-Dublin route. Ryanair will now operate this route on a commercial basis without any PSO subsidy thereby saving the taxpayer almost €2 million p.a. Ryanair again calls for an ending to these PSO subsidies under which tiny passenger numbers receive enormous taxpayer subsidies to fund vastly inflated charges at Irish regional airports.
Stephen McNamara, Ryanair

Ryanair has said it that after Oct 31st, the airline will serve Kerry airport four times a day from Kerry to Dublin, Frankfurt Hahn, London Luton and London Stansted.”

Update @ 15.30 Ryanair's website is still advertising three flights a day after Oct 31st from Dublin to Kerry via the ryanair.com website.

I took a few dates after Oct 31st to see what the schedule was like - Nov 10th (being my birthday lest any of you wish to send gifts) still has three flights advertised for example, despite the announcement this morning.

I've asked Ryanair's PR people why the airline is still selling seats on flights they've claimed this morning to be cancelled but they've not come back to me yet.

Update @ 16.30 After a bit of chasing since just after midday, a spokesman for Ryanair has said the Ryanair website will stop accepting bookings for the three-times daily flights to Kerry after Oct 31st from this evening, but has yet to clarify what the status is of those who have booked flights already (or who will do before the flights are removed from the Ryanair website).

Last edited:

BringBackNavanMan

Something tells me that it will be Michael O'Leary who will bring this government down. Well done Michael

PSO routes are not required in Ireland when billions have been spent on improving road and rail infrastructure.

locke

So what clauses did the government put in the PSO for breach of contract?

By serving Kerry commercially once a day, it makes it very unlikely that any other airline will want to take over the PSO.

locke

PSO routes are not required in Ireland when billions have been spent on improving road and rail infrastructure.
I can see some possible merit in having PSO to Donegal given the rubbish land transport options, but when Galway is scarcely an hour from Shannon, Sligo even less from Knock, and when Knock and Kerry have a reasonable portfolio of international routes, I can't see the logic for those airports at all.

stripey cat

Basic rule of writing: don't use a TLA unless you first spell out what it stands for.

locke

Basic rule of writing: don't use a TLA unless you first spell out what it stands for.
PSO = Public Service Obligation

The government gives airlines money to run certain routes at a certain frequency to ensure regional connectivity.

At the moment, the routes covered are

Dublin-Kerry
Dublin-Galway
Dublin-Knock
Dublin-Sligo
Dublin-Donegal
Dublin-Derry

The EU has certain criteria about what can be put in. Because of that, Shannon, Belfast and Waterford are regarded as being too close to Dublin to justify air transport, while Cork-Dublin is regarded as being commercially viable.

In theory, the government could use the scheme to support international connectivity for certain regions or inter-regional connectivity in Ireland, but has never chosen to do so.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Ryanair's website is still advertising three flights a day from Dublin to Kerry via the ryanair.com website.

I took a few days after Oct 31st to see what the schedule was like - Nov 10th (being my birthday lest any of you wish to send gifts) still has three flights advertised.

I've asked Ryanair's PR people why the airline is still selling seats on flights they've claimed this morning to be cancelled but they've not come back to me yet.

constitutionus

so getting the routes off aer arann was really all about putting them out of business.

nice to see it spelled out so suscintly now.

DCon

JOD not racing his Garda driven merc up and down to kerry on a Ryanair flight must have hit profits on the route..

Mushroom

JOD not racing his Garda driven merc up and down to kerry on a Ryanair flight must have hit profits on the route..
:D

in the interest of fairness, it should be pointed out that JOD merely took over from Dick Spring as Kerry's no. 1 taxpayer-funded air-commuter.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
After a bit of chasing since just after midday, a spokesman for Ryanair has said the Ryanair website will stop accepting bookings for the three-times daily flights to Kerry after Oct 31st from this evening, but has yet to clarify what the status is of those who have booked flights already (or who will do before the flights are removed from the Ryanair website).

Mushroom

Is it true that Jackie Healy Rae uses the Pension pass on the Train - yet received Mileage for a car and does not even drive?
Not even the wonders of the FoI legislation can answer that mystery for us - it's even more confidential than BIFFO's waist size, Ivor Callely's actual residence and the Fifth Secret of Fatima.

Mushroom

After a bit of chasing since just after midday, a spokesman for Ryanair has said the Ryanair website will stop accepting bookings for the three-times daily flights to Kerry after Oct 31st from this evening, but has yet to clarify what the status is of those who have booked flights already (or who will do before the flights are removed from the Ryanair website).
I thnk you can either wave goodbye to your fare David or switch your booking to the Friday evening Smaaland to Düsseldorf (Weeze) flight.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
7 hours after Ryanair's announcement, Fine Gael have responded.....

Loss of Ryanair routes devastating to Kerry - Deenihan

The reduction in the Kerry to Dublin Ryanair routes from three to one return flight a day will be devastating to Kerry businesses as well as local tourism according to Fine Gael Tourism Spokesman and Kerry North Deputy Jimmy Deenihan.

“The affects of this decision will be far-reaching and very damaging.

“In 2009, the outbound flight on the Kerry to Dublin route carried 56,000 passengers. This will now be reduced by two-thirds. As a result tourism will be severely curtailed as will local business.

“As has been communicated to me today, there are major implications for business people who use the early morning flight. Large businesses like Kerry Group organise their whole schedules around the early morning flight and the late night flight from Dublin. From the end of next month, the service will disappear.

“The removal of the two routes will remove another selling point for Kerry to promote itself as an industrial location. The county has already been left behind in regard to industrial development and this is yet another blow.

“Alongside this, the decision could threaten the future viability of Kerry Airport as there will be now a major reduction in landing fees accruing to the airport. Kerry business and Kerry tourism will also suffer as a result.”