Ryanair to charge €6 for cabin bag

gleeful

ruserious

Airline dramatically reduces cost to fly in Europe.
Airline charges €6 to bring a bag.
Customer says fook this.

Lads, if you can fly €19.99 to Germany and get upset at paying a paltry €6 for a bag, then as MO'L says, go fook yourself m'kay.

gleeful

Airline dramatically reduces cost to fly in Europe.
Airline charges €6 to bring a bag.
Customer says fook this.

Lads, if you can fly €19.99 to Germany and get upset at paying a paltry €6 for a bag, then as MO'L says, go fook yourself m'kay.
I recently had to pay €100 for a checked in bag on Ryanair, return, due to needing a connecting flight. It makes the price difference with alternative airlines less attractive. Lufthansa is often cheaper than Ryanair all things considered.

Fr Peter McWhinger

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/only-one-small-bag-to-be-permitted-on-ryanair-flights-1.3211138

From now on, only one small (ie. under the seat) bag will be allowed onto Ryanair for free. Normal cabin bag size bags will be only allowed on for 'priority' customers (€6) or checked in for €25 each way.

I remember back when they introduced check-on-bag charges. It started at €5 per bag and went up and up.

This will make me look for alternatives to Ryanair.
Time to outlaw all baggage in the passenger cabin paid or free. In an emergency it causes delay as passengers try retrieving their bags before heading for emergency exits.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
What would people do if Ryan Air tomorrow said, No more low-cost fairs, you now will pay a standard fare.

would people still complain about a company charging the same as everyone else?

D

Deleted member 17573

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/only-one-small-bag-to-be-permitted-on-ryanair-flights-1.3211138

From now on, only one small (ie. under the seat) bag will be allowed onto Ryanair for free. Normal cabin bag size bags will be only allowed on for 'priority' customers (€6) or checked in for €25 each way.

I remember back when they introduced check-on-bag charges. It started at €5 per bag and went up and up.

My reading of it is that the 10kg bag will be taken from you at the gate and carried in the hold. Indeed it struck me that the move could disincentivise the sale of priority boarding. And I think this is needed - last few times I flew Ryanair the abuse of the cabin baggage had gotten completely out of control.

Fr Peter McWhinger

What would people do if Ryan Air tomorrow said, No more low-cost fairs, you now will pay a standard fare.

would people still complain about a company charging the same as everyone else?
The reality is that if Ryan Air were not competitive people would travel with another carrier.

ruserious

I recently had to pay €100 for a checked in bag on Ryanair, return, due to needing a connecting flight. It makes the price difference with alternative airlines less attractive. Lufthansa is often cheaper than Ryanair all things considered.
If you're a transiting passenger with checked in bags, probably better to avoid Ryanair.

ruserious

I've tickets for a flight in December with Ryanair that were purchased few months back. I wonder does the new rule apply as I bought the tickets at a time when two free cabin bags were included in the price.

Spanner Island

I've tickets for a flight in December with Ryanair that were purchased few months back. I wonder does the new rule apply as I bought the tickets at a time when two free cabin bags were included in the price.
I would imagine you're safe seeing as you purchased before the decision to make the change was made... but you might want to check with them anyway... via social media I reckon...

There's a few bits and pieces about it on their Twitter page now including the two videos below >>> https://twitter.com/Ryanair?

[video=youtube;Adro7Qcap-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=Adro7Qcap-k[/video]

[video=youtube;vqFYQIOp9os]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=vqFYQIOp9os[/video]

Mushroom

“We believe offering bigger bags at reduced fees will encourage more customers to consider checking in a bag, which will reduce the high volume of customers we have with two carry-on bags at the boarding gates, which is causing flight delays due to large numbers of gate bag and cabin bag offloads,

This has occurred on each of my last 4 flights with Ryanair. It's been mayhem in the aisle with people fighting their way up and down looking for an empty overhead locker or trying to force their bulging "hand luggage" into one that's already half-full. Then more mayhem at disembarkation when they must fight their way against the flow to get their bags back.

Well done Ryanair! I'm delighted with the change.

Watcher2

It will certainly have an impact. Unless they fly to "proper" airports, this could very easily impact on their sales. They are shrewd though so it will likely be a balancing act with them. I haven't found them to be super cheap in a long time. Not a big traveler anymore though.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

And this is why we can't have nice things. Because there will always be sh!ts who abuse the system and mess it up for the rest of us.

Watcher2

“We believe offering bigger bags at reduced fees will encourage more customers to consider checking in a bag, which will reduce the high volume of customers we have with two carry-on bags at the boarding gates, which is causing flight delays due to large numbers of gate bag and cabin bag offloads,

This has occurred on each of my last 4 flights with Ryanair. It's been mayhem in the aisle with people fighting their way up and down looking for an empty overhead locker or trying to force their bulging "hand luggage" into one that's already half-full. Then more mayhem at disembarkation when they must fight their way against the flow to get their bags back.

Well done Ryanair! I'm delighted with the change.
Its one of my bugbears on planes....muppets with tonnes of sh1t, ramming their stuff over yours and some moving to different seat row overhead bins to fit their stuff in those bins. They don't give a flug about anyone else trying to get on or others overhead bin space. Even airlines with larger overhead bins with a supposed "one carry on bag" policy, let these ignorant muppets on clearly and visibly with more than one, then facilitate them on board with the madness.

If you want to let passengers flout the rules, at least make them inconvenience themselves rather than others and make them put their bags under their own seats.

Rant over.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies