Ryanair to increase baggage charges

kerrynorth

Baggage charges for checked-in luggage will rise from October as the no-frills airline seeks to encourage people to take only carry-on bags and to raise revenue after cutting fares.
Booking one bag will cost E15 if done at time of booking over the Internet and will cost E30 to check in at the airport.
A second checked-in bag will cost E35 for the two or E70 at the airport.
Both pieces of checked in luggage will each carry a 15kg allowance.
BUSINESS WORLD - Ryanair to raise its baggage charges

Ryanair do untold damage to their arguments about increased passenger charges and departure taxes when they do this. Their campaign against the €10 departure tax just smacks of hypocrisy when they come out with this. Luckily I have never ever paid the baggage charge on a flight as I have always travelled with hand luggage since the baggage charges came in.

So going from €10 for 15kg and €15 per KG over so now if travel with 2 bags weighing 30kg you pay €235 to 2 bags up to 30kg for €50.

40kgs including hand luggage is a shed load of stuff.

orbit

So going from €10 for 15kg and €15 per KG over so now if travel with 2 bags weighing 30kg you pay €235 to 2 bags up to 30kg for €50.
:confused:

Was it not
2 x €10 = €20 (30kg total), before
2 x bags = €35 (30kg total) now ?

Honestly, it's obvious that Ryanair has a whole department dreaming up these crazy cost-saving schemes. Why don't they just sack the whole lot of them, announce that their cost structure is not going to change for 12 months, and just leave it at that?

There will be merriment and rejoicing among the travelling public if they do this, because people will know what they are getting and they won't complain (as much).

The Caped Cod

I don't use Ryanair anymore. I'll pay extra for a different company if I can. I'm sick of their rip-off merchant tactics and their staff who are irritable and unpolite due to their working conditions. They are a ********************e airline and Micko, while he may be a good business man, is an utter ********************er and a conceited little *************************.

indy

Ryanair do untold damage to their arguments about increased passenger charges and departure taxes when they do this. Their campaign against the €10 departure tax just smacks of hypocrisy when they come out with this. Luckily I have never ever paid the baggage charge on a flight as I have always travelled with hand luggage since the baggage charges came in.
The market determines how much money Ryanair's customers are willing to pay to consume the seats that the airline offers. What they pay then splits into money that Ryanair gets and money that other stakeholders, including the tax authorities, get. If the tax authorites grab a bigger slice, then Ryanair's slice becomes correspondingly smaller. This directly reduces profit and turns profit-making services into loss-making services. So ultimately Ryanair's profit reduces and the number of services falls.

When assessing the impact of a €10 tax on the marketability of a Ryanair seat, remember that if, ante-tax, Ryanair (in their estimation) could have extracted another €10 for that seat, they would have already done it. The fact that they didn't charge that extra €10 tells you that they believed they would not have sold the seat at that price. So the introduction of the tax means that they will make less money, either by making less net revenue per seat, or by selling fewer seats, or (in practice) both.

From Ryanair's perspective, the proportion of the customer's money that goes to them is entirely different to the proportion that goes to the other stakeholders. So it is not hypocritical of them to increase fares to cover their costs/make a profit/reduce losses while at the same time complaining about other actors increasing their cut of the revenue.

All of these baggage charge-type things are just part of the fare structure. I like them because I always avoid all Ryanair's discertionary charges, so whoever does pay them is helping keep the basic fare down for everyone.

:confused:

Was it not
2 x €10 = €20 (30kg total), before
2 x bags = €35 (30kg total) now ?

Honestly, it's obvious that Ryanair has a whole department dreaming up these crazy cost-saving schemes. Why don't they just sack the whole lot of them, announce that their cost structure is not going to change for 12 months, and just leave it at that?

There will be merriment and rejoicing among the travelling public if they do this, because people will know what they are getting and they won't complain (as much).
Nope as max allowance was 15kg per passenger.

cinik

Shortly will be gone the same way AND for similar reasons as Sky Europe(remember the pikey made such fun of their leasing)
Scum always ends up in the correct place

kerrynorth

All of these baggage charge-type things are just part of the fare structure. I like them because I always avoid all Ryanair's discertionary charges, so whoever does pay them is helping keep the basic fare down for everyone.
As do I. But a rip-off is a rip-off. That €20/kilo excess baggage charge will fleece a lot of people at the airport who have no other options. And at that price Ryanairs weighing scales better not be an ounce out.

Plus the sports equipment charge is the most obvious rip-off now €40/€50.

As do I. But a rip-off is a rip-off. That €20/kilo excess baggage charge will fleece a lot of people at the airport who have no other options. And at that price Ryanairs weighing scales better not be an ounce out.

Plus the sports equipment charge is the most obvious rip-off now €40/€50.
People are aware of the charges and have changed their behaviour because they know they will get charged extra for checking in luggage at the airport.

The Caped Cod

I'm reminded of once when two friends of mine took a Ryanair internal Dublin/Cork flight. They had the right to 10kg each and they were travelling with their two year old. At Dublin check-in their two bags were waeighed. The two were sharing a bag that weighed 18kg and they had another bag for their son, which weighed 5kg. The snotty bïtch at the counter told them they would have to pay an extra 80/100 € for the big bag, as it was 10kg per bag.
Fair play to my mate, who left wife and child at the counter, went of to a shop in the air port and bought a 10€ sports bag and then went back and transferred the extra weight into it. She didn't get any extra money and they had built up a nice long queue for the snotty bïtch to deal with.

I'm reminded of once when two friends of mine took a Ryanair internal Dublin/Cork flight. They had the right to 10kg each and they were travelling with their two year old. At Dublin check-in their two bags were waeighed. The two were sharing a bag that weighed 18kg and they had another bag for their son, which weighed 5kg. The snotty bïtch at the counter told them they would have to pay an extra 80/100 € for the big bag, as it was 10kg per bag.
Fair play to my mate, who left wife and child at the counter, went of to a shop in the air port and bought a 10€ sports bag and then went back and transferred the extra weight into it. She didn't get any extra money and they had built up a nice long queue for the snotty bïtch to deal with.
SO they clicked the "we undestand the Terms and Conditions" and then didn't.

Are they safe to allow out on their own ?

PrinceMax

I love this sort of stuff. I fly ryanair a good bit as I never check in luggage and only buy discounted tickets. Most of my flights have been around 20-30 euro return. Once I was nearly caught though. I think it was at Berlin airport. A member of ryanair's staff told me I would have to check in the handluggage as it didn't fit in the thing they have. So, I opened the bag, and took out a jumper and a jacket and put them on. I know it is desparate to avoid an extra charge, but I would never fly with ryanair if the flights cost me more than an average 20-30 euro in total.

D

Deleted member 17573

No problem for me - I rarely have more than carry-on - and I don´t want to subsidise someone who is so stupid as to think they need 2 suitcases for a weekend trip. Let them pay for the extra fuel they are using - and the occasional time I want to check a bag, I´ll pay - but I´ll make sure not to be overweight. This is not a moral, right/wrong issue - it´s a fare structure from which you are free to pick and choose what you want to pay for - and if it is totally unsuited to your needs you try the competition to see if they can do a better package.

Sikpupi

MOL and FR must be struggling to maximise revenue. Seems a bit 'Kettle and Pot' to me complaining of €10 Governement Tax killing fares and he then skimming off at the airport at checkin.

D

Deleted member 17573

MOL and FR must be struggling to maximise revenue. Seems a bit 'Kettle and Pot' to me complaining of €10 Governement Tax killing fares and he then skimming off at the airport at checkin.
Course not - you do everything possible to maximise revenue, minimise costs, enhance opportunities and eliminate threats - and if you identify the government tax as a threat to your business, you fight to get rid of it - it´s simple, it´s called good business practice:rolleyes:

cinik

Bleedin Obvious!! That is the pikeys problem but don't waste your time arguing with these wasters with too much time on their hands
Some retired(bitter) Some on the dole(more bitter) and the Clown from Space who is stuck in ruinair

McEavelli

Odie and Sailor are so desperate they thank each other for every post now.

BTW yet another rumour about a Ryanair incident on the way. This time it's in Dublin airport.

>200 knots allegedly at <4 miles having been instructed to slow down (even if they weren't it is a ludicrous speed at that distance) and when told to 'go around' they are reported to have replied 'cleared to land'.

Appears to be nothing on the AAIU or IAA sites needless to say.

There are none so blind.................

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies