• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ryder Cup is too important for the off-topic community

Malbekh

OK people, most important golfing event and we don't want to be PC, or is that DC, and have it relegated to the off-topic Siberian wastes.

One of the few occasions where we, collectively as Europeans, can get one over those arrogant feckers across the water. So let's set aside our EU/Lisbon/Corporation tax issues and get behind this team with Harrington to make the winning put that regains the cup.

Cael

OK people, most important golfing event and we don't want to be PC, or is that DC, and have it relegated to the off-topic Siberian wastes.

One of the few occasions where we, collectively as Europeans, can get one over those arrogant feckers across the water. So let's set aside our EU/Lisbon/Corporation tax issues and get behind this team with Harrington to make the winning put that regains the cup.
Whats in it for you?

Sync

Agreed. Hell it's the one time the EU unites under the flag.

All even at the moment:

Westwood/Kaymer 2 up v Mickelson/D Johnson (after 9)
McIlroy/McDowell 1 down v Cink/Kuchar (8)
Poulter/Fisher 1 up v Stricker Woods (7)
Donald/Harrington 2 down v Watson/Overton (6)

Green eyed monster

Harrington has already reached the highest pinnacle in sport (multiple major winner), this competition is lesser to the majors, it's like Olympic football imho.

I also don't feel the rivalry issue, good rivalry can elevate a competition but is there such rivalry in Golf between Euros and Americans? Most people identify with country, do Irish people care if a Euro team sinks a US team or is it that a sense of European 'solidarity' versus a 'rival' is being contrived? ;)

fecker

You are talking golf here, I would rather watch a disgusting slasher movie with lot's of ketchup! I loath that game with such a passion, I would willingly plant landmines on the courses. I would go commando and plant the worst of weeds on the greens and fairways at night (is that what there're called?) I F*****g hate this stupid excuse of a sport. Much, much worse than I hate Fianna Fail!

Got that of me chest, happy now :D

Malbekh

You are talking golf here, I would rather watch a disgusting slasher movie with lot's of ketchup! I loath that game with such a passion, I would willingly plant landmines on the courses. I would go commando and plant the worst of weeds on the greens and fairways at night (is that what there're called?) I F*****g hate this stupid excuse of a sport. Much, much worse than I hate Fianna Fail!

Got that of me chest, happy now :D
And we're off! Early start this morning after an enforced diet of slasher movies. After that post, now I know what FF feel like when tackled about the economy, so I'll take their best practice and ignore that post (much like FF ignore the economy) and move right along.

Expect numerous bumps and anecdotes as we move through till Monday.

Westwood/Kaymer 1 up v Mickelson/D Johnson (after 12)
McIlroy/McDowell 2 down v Cink/Kuchar (11)
Poulter/Fisher AS v Stricker Woods (10)
Donald/Harrington 1 down v Watson/Overton (8)

Jakey

The whole thing is too funny for words. It's like some sort of brilliant Martin Amis satire. I think it's best to treat it as a kind of sporting Eurovision for connoisseurs of kitsch:
  • Men in diamond pattern jumpers - Check
  • Barbie dolls on display in all their finery and absolutely loving every minute of it - Check
  • A notorious sex cheat forced to skulk alone in the midst of all the Kens and Barbies - Check
  • "Captains" so lacking in self-awareness that they really do see themselves as the golfing equivalents of Alex Ferguson and Vince Lombardi - Check
  • Hapless EU politicians desperately trying to attach themselves to "Europe" - Check
  • Oddball American golfers thanking God for every victory - Check
  • American fighter pilots flown in to fire up the boys in an hilariously inappropriate display of patriotism - Check
  • Spectators chanting football songs on the first tee - Check
It's brilliant. And the best part is that plenty of golf bores - many of them (in Britain at least) massive eurosceptics - will honestly see this as the highlight of their sporting year.

Malbekh

Not great at the moment, it was very finely balanced but Cink has sunk Euro hopes of levelling the tie. It'll be the US by 2 clear points heading into today's final session.

Malbekh

Fantastic day for the Europeans, nearly getting a clean sheet but still thrashing the US 5.5 to 0.5. Three points clear and needing to get 5 more points to win back the Ryder Cup, you can expect Monty to front-load the singles just as the US will do.

It'll be titanic.

Estragon

It's relegated to satellite TV, why should it be accorded any more prominence here?

Ah Well

Fantastic day for the Europeans, nearly getting a clean sheet but still thrashing the US 5.5 to 0.5. Three points clear and needing to get 5 more points to win back the Ryder Cup, you can expect Monty to front-load the singles just as the US will do.

It'll be titanic.
And Monty did indeed front load the singles ...

It ain't over yet - still need 5 out of 12 points which means winning at least 5 games tmro ...

All of these golfers play a non team sport in the normal course of events so singles feels more normal to them ... and the Americans are often very strong in the singles part of the Competition

So .. fingers crossed :)

TradCat

Most people identify with country, do Irish people care if a Euro team sinks a US team or is it that a sense of European 'solidarity' versus a 'rival' is being contrived? ;)
I don't identify with a European team. I'd wish the Irish players well but no more than that. In fact I'd sooner see Europe lose because they have started using the despised EU flag.

revolution

your original post said it was too important for the off topic community????
is this a two tier website wtf
you arrogant sod

Sync

Ridiculously good day for the Euros. The last Molinari got a huge cheer in the airport bar I was in.

My picks for tomorrow:

0905: Westwood v Stricker
0917: McIlroy v Cink
0929: Donald v Furyk
0941: Kaymer v D Johnson
0953: Poulter v Kuchar
1005: Fisher v Overton
1017: Jimenez v Watson
1029: F Molinari v Woods
1041: E Molinari v Fowler
1053: Hanson v Mickelson
1105: Harrington v Z Johnson
1117: McDowell v Mahan

So I have us winning. Congrats to Mickelson for losing the most games in US Ryder history!

Oppenheimer

Ridiculously good day for the Euros. The last Molinari got a huge cheer in the airport bar I was in.

My picks for tomorrow:

0905: Westwood v Stricker
0917: McIlroy v Cink
0929: Donald v Furyk
0941: Kaymer v D Johnson
0953: Poulter v Kuchar
1005: Fisher v Overton
1017: Jimenez v Watson
1029: F Molinari v Woods
1041: E Molinari v Fowler
1053: Hanson v Mickelson
1105: Harrington v Z Johnson
1117: McDowell v Mahan

So I have us winning. Congrats to Mickelson for losing the most games in US Ryder history!
Wow! Hope you didn't put any money on those picks!

Sync

I was going to and then pulled out when my connection died. No loss. All that matters is McDowell right now, it's looking like it's coming down to him, 2 up after 13.