Ryle Nugent

The_SR

Retiring as head of RTE sport.

I think all sports bodies will be united in their delight at this news. Oversaw a systemic removal of sport from the airwaves.

Betson

I think all sports bodies will be united in their delight at this news. Oversaw a systemic removal of sport from the airwaves.
Not sure he can be fully blamed for that , RTE had to find the money to pay the crazy salaries and contracts of it on air staff and sport was one of these areas that bared the burnt. I am sure he was not happy over losing the rights to these either.

The_SR

Not sure he can be fully blamed for that , RTE had to find the money to pay the crazy salaries and contracts of it on air staff and sport was one of these areas that bared the burnt. I am sure he was not happy over losing the rights to these either.
Other departments managed. And sport is generally cheap tv.

All sports other than racing have a lot less output on RTE under his tenure with minority sport removed in its entirety.

Last edited:

Northsideman

RTE don't have to pay crazy money to those on these salaries and contracts, let the contacts run down and don't renew and let the rest wither, bring in new blood at cheaper rates. Content before all else is the most important thing.

cozzy121

Is it fallout for the former employee being charged for grooming in the UK?

Mushroom

In fairness, there's loads more wimmins' sport on RTE, not to mention things like the Special and Winter Olympics.

The_SR

In fairness, there's loads more wimmins' sport on RTE, not to mention things like the Special and Winter Olympics.
Winter Olympics were always there.

Is there more women's sport? We lost basketball and athletics and got the football camogie and women's Gaelic finals and the odd women's rugby ininternational. I'll mostly give you that.

But is that him making a statement or filling the space occupied by the mens games he lost?

Mushroom

Winter Olympics were always there.

Is there more women's sport? We lost basketball and athletics and got the football camogie and women's Gaelic finals and the odd women's rugby ininternational. I'll mostly give you that.

But is that him making a statement or filling the space occupied by the mens games he lost?
Not forgetting the wall-to-wall coverage of Katie Taylor! Every time she ties her laces, RTE Sport are there!

ShoutingIsLeadership

On the other hand, we are now treated to women's Six Nations rugby, as though it is a sport that matters to anybody. RTE seems determined to spread women's rugby to the nation. I caught some of it yesterday - my word, the standard was awful. Awful. To call it shyte is being overly kind.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Dropped Saturday night English Premier League highlights.

Dropped Giles, but Dunphy remains.

former wesleyan

50 million in license fees not paid. Presumably by the same cohort who wouldn't pay their water charges.

hollandia

If by "systemic" removal of sport you mean not having the money to pay for live FTA premier league soccer and heineken cup rugby and/or compete with SKY, then you are of course correct.

Compared with other broadcasters, RTE perform very well in their sports coverage. Compared with the rest of their output RTE Sports department compares well with the rest of RTE.

ShoutingIsLeadership

If by "systemic" removal of sport you mean not having the money to pay for live FTA premier league soccer and heineken cup rugby and/or compete with SKY, then you are of course correct.

Compared with other broadcasters, RTE perform very well in their sports coverage. Compared with the rest of their output RTE Sports department compares well with the rest of RTE.
Does it? Maybe for old people like us, but what is RTE's social media offering like, compared to the likes of Newstalk? Its coverage seems trapped in the 1990s/early 2000s

The_SR

They lost the EPL highlights, Irish away internationals, 6n, RWC, all club rugby, club GAA, some intercounty GAA, stopped showing things like the basketball, aren't showing Irish clubs in Europe and are reneging on their LoI coverage.

bokuden

There's so little sport on RTE now outside of GAA: do they even need a sports department?

Mushroom

There's so little sport on RTE now outside of GAA: do they even need a sports department?

It's not really my thing, but I have an impression that they still show loads of horse racing? Certainly the sports round up part of the news regularly includes clips of running horses ridden by little men in funny hats. Sometimes the horses are jumping over things as well.

Round tower

It show how bad RTE got when TG4 out bid them for the Heineken Cup hightlights, the only thing that is keeping the major international sporting events is the negotiations and the rights is done by the European Broadcasting body which RTE is a member.

The_SR

It's not really my thing, but I have an impression that they still show loads of horse racing? Certainly the sports round up part of the news regularly includes clips of running horses ridden by little men in funny hats. Sometimes the horses are jumping over things as well.
Its the only sport I can think of that got increased coverage under his watch.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies