Sack Nuala O'Loan from board of Maynooth after vote against protecting Irish in UK

Ulpian

The House of Lords voted today on the amendment to the Brexit Bill to bind the UK government to preserve the right of residence of citizens of other EU member states (including Ireland) living in the U.K.

The House of Lords voted in favour of the amendment by 358 votes to 256 votes.
Lords Divisions results - UK Parliament

One of those voting AGAINST the amendment was Nuala O'Loan, who is a member of the board of governors of NUI Maynooth.

Given her vote against protecting the rights of Irish people in the U.K. she should be sacked from the board of NUI Maynooth and any other positions that she holds. I'm encouraging everyone to highlight her vote and speak out against her.

Catalpast

The House of Lords voted today on the amendment to the Brexit Bill to bind the UK government to preserve the right of residence of citizens of other EU member states (including Ireland) living in the U.K.

One of those voting AGAINST the amendment was Nuala O'Loan, who is a member of the board of governors of NUI Maynooth.

Given her vote against protecting the rights of Irish people in the U.K. she should be sacked from the board of NUI Maynooth and any other positions that she holds. I'm encouraging everyone to highlight her vote and speak out against her.
Perhaps it would be better to find out WHY she did so 1st?

You know what as someone who now resides in UK I am not worried.

UK has seen EU migrancy drop like a stone since last year. If this continues then they have a real labour shortage.

UK starting to realise don't look after EU citizens working in UK then they go home or elsewhere.................. so who will you replace them with ?
The native work Shy larda55es who live on benefit.

Half Nelson

The Irish had right of residency before the EU. That is unaffected by Brexit in any case.

O

Oscurito

The Irish had right of residency before the EU. That is unaffected by Brexit in any case.
And if they start getting awkward we can threaten them with even more episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys.

And more Jedward.

Cellachán Chaisil

It's not a permanent arrangement, but renewed every few years.

Cellachán Chaisil

And if they start getting awkward we can threaten them with even more episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys.

And more Jedward.
Have we another Bob Geldof hidden somewhere?

That would kill them off altogether.

edwin

Why would her political views be relevant in performing her function on the NUI Maynooth Board of Governors? And besides which, who appointed her and would have the ability to remove her?

Cellachán Chaisil

Is there not legislation which states RoI citizens are not to be treated differently to UK citizens?
The 1949 Ireland act says that Ireland should not be considered foreign for the purposes of British law, but I'm not sure that equates to giving Irish people equal status to UK citizens.

edwin

The 1949 Ireland act says that Ireland should not be considered foreign for the purposes of British law, but I'm not sure that equates to giving Irish people equal status to UK citizens.
I'm no legal expert but it's hard to see how Irish citizens can be denied the right to work without repealing that law. I don't think any British govt would touch that with a barge pole.

ruserious

Is there not legislation which states RoI citizens are not to be treated differently to UK citizens?
Yes. We're not classed as aliens under the British immigration acts.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
You know what as someone who now resides in UK I am not worried.

UK has seen EU migrancy drop like a stone since last year. If this continues then they have a real labour shortage.

UK starting to realise don't look after EU citizens working in UK then they go home or elsewhere.................. so who will you replace them with ?
The native work Shy larda55es who live on benefit.

Yes - if the benefits disappear they will have to work.

Or the immigrants that you choose to let in under controlled immigration can be used.

Glenshane4

Why should foreigners in the UK have any rights - especially foreigners of a State whose politicians interfered in the UK referendum about continued UK membership of the EU?

New Threads

Most Replies