• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sacked For Being Too Attractive

CptSternn

Iowa court: Bosses can fire 'irresistible' workers

That's right, in Iowa the Supreme Court just ruled that it is perfectly legal for your boss to sack you if they fancy you. Apparently the bosses feelings, although they cannot be measured or quantified in any real sense, have more legal standing than a contract or civil rights legislation.

This case is obviously heading to the US Supreme Court, as I don't see this ruling being able to stand. I mean, it gives all employers the ability to sack people without cause, without giving them a pension or severance. They can actually discriminate legally.

No, I didn't fire him because I found out he was a Muslim. I fired him because I thought he was attractive. No I didn't fire her because I found out she was gay, I fired her because I found her attractive. No I didn't sack that man just to avoid paying his yearly bonus and giving him his pension, I found him attractive so I had to sack him.

And people wonder why we still need unions.

Asparagus

That's right, in Iowa the Supreme Court just ruled that it is perfectly legal for your boss to sack you if they fancy you. Apparently the bosses feelings, although they cannot be measured or quantified in any real sense, have more legal standing than a contract or civil rights legislation.

This case is obviously heading to the US Supreme Court, as I don't see this ruling being able to stand. I mean, it gives all employers the ability to sack people without cause, without giving them a pension or severance. They can actually discriminate legally.

No, I didn't fire him because I found out he was a Muslim. I fired him because I thought he was attractive. No I didn't fire her because I found out she was gay, I fired her because I found her attractive. No I didn't sack that man just to avoid paying his yearly bonus and giving him his pension, I found him attractive so I had to sack him.

people wonder why we still need public sector unions, when the cabinet are doing a far better job of it.

Analyzer

Basically this was a decision by the boss' wife.

There is the boss. And then there is the real boss of the boss.

Anyway, given the fact that attractive women find it easier to find work than, for example obese women, in a range of occupations from secretarial in corporate headquarters, to air hostess....I suppose people should not be worried about this.

Personally, I don't see what the problem is here. Really.

It effectively fucntions as affirmative action for ugly people. Maybe this is long overdue....

flavirostris

Reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George interviewed two total foxes but told them openly that he couldn't give them the job of secretary as he simply could not trust himself.

He hired a homely but efficient one instead.. and ended up sh@gging her.

Prester Jim

Thank you seet Jebus,for a moment there when I saw the OP title I thought was being fired online. :oops:

Prester Jim

lies

Twitter
yes
Of course had he simply not hired her, for the same reason, no one would care.

She's probably dodged a bullet to be honest.

This is a bit of an odd one, as all parties seem to be being mostly honest, and you know, would society be better of he's cheated on his wife?

He probably should've been forced to pay her more than a month severance though, that's fairly weak.

flavirostris

This guy dosen't come across too well. The excuses about trying to save his marriage sound a bit pathetic.

If he thought she was too attractive, then maybe he shouldn't have hired her to begin with.

And yes, giving her 1 months severance pay for 10 years service was a poor show.

Analyzer

Advertising for a replacement will prove interesting.

Ugly people need only apply.

There is every likelihood that only men will apply for the position (for the sake of the money), because the fairer sex will be repulsed by the implied criteria.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Such a curse to be born beautiful. When will the persecution of people like me end? *cough* :rolleyes:

amsterdemmetje

[video=youtube;LEipG31iAC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEipG31iAC4[/video]

Riadach

In fairness, good looking people on average earn more and get promoted quicker than their plainer counterparts. They (or eh we... yes we) can't have it all their (...our) own way.

redhead

Anyway, given the fact that attractive women find it easier to find work than, for example obese women, in a range of occupations from secretarial in corporate headquarters, to air hostess....I suppose people should not be worried about this.

Personally, I don't see what the problem is here. Really.

It effectively fucntions as affirmative action for ugly people. Maybe this is long overdue....
I hope you're joking. For one it makes a mockery of equality legislation and employee rights as pointed out in the OP. Also while being considered physically attractive may be a bonus in some fields it can be extremely detrimental in others. Finally, female peer bullying and bullying by female bosses AFAIK makes up more than 50% of reported cases, and envy over physical appearance, perceived attractiveness is often at the root of these.

cricket

This brings me back, got hauled into a case years ago where good looking female claimed she was not being promoted in her job because the all male hierarchy would be afraid that their wives would not trust them when they saw her. She eventually was promoted and turned out to be quite a miserable boss. By the time she got the stripe, she no longer posed a threat to the spouses of her peers.

lies

Twitter
yes
I hope you're joking. For one it makes a mockery of equality legislation and employee rights as pointed out in the OP. Also while being considered physically attractive may be a bonus in some fields it can be extremely detrimental in others. Finally, female peer bullying and bullying by female bosses AFAIK makes up more than 50% of reported cases, and envy over physical appearance, perceived attractiveness is often at the root of these.
This is exactly why all woman should be forced to wear fat suits and niqabs.

Or better yet why women shouldn't be in the workplace to begin with. There'd be no gender pay inequality if woman stayed home.

Problem solved.

redhead

This is exactly why all woman should be forced to wear fat suits and niqabs.

Or better yet why women shouldn't be in the workplace to begin with. There'd be no gender pay inequality if woman stayed home.

Problem solved.

You're wasted here you should be in government.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies