• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sad news: death of Gay Rights Activist PA Maglochlainn

factual

BBC News - PA Maglochlainn, NI gay rights campaigner, dies after illness

Sad news: PA Maglochlainn has died.

According to the BBC, as a member of the SDLP, he was the first openly gay representative to sit on a NI political party's executive. UUP man Jeff Dudgeon, whos case legalised homosexual activity in 1980, described him as a "tireless campaigner" who was "outspoken, eccentric" and had a "huge personality" and said that he "fought long and hard for many of the rights we now take for granted".

Comment: those who fought for the rights that people take for granted today deserve a lot of credit. The experience of a gay person growing up in NI in 2012 is so much easier than one growing up in the 1970s when these civil rights activists were young.

RedCloud

Those who fought for the rights that people take for granted today were mainly British Soldiers !!
Our nat/rep chums would do well to remember that !!
A sad day indeed for Gay Rights..........:(

vinoboy

I recall PA from years ago , a true eccentric .As somebody else said he added to the gaiety of the nation. Take it easy PA !!!

J

Johnny Boy

Was only vaguely aware of the guy tbh. It undoubtedly took a lot of courage to come out as a gay man, as he did, when he did. Even now it takes a bit of guts here, and this is very rarely acknowledged. When I was younger, if a gay bloke tried to hit on you, you'd be horrified and you'd shun him thereafter. It was a social taboo, way beyond what it is now, in those days.
As time has moved on, many of us have learned to be more tolerant and understanding, and the credit for that goes to people who had the courage to stand up for themselves and proclaim that while they were different to us in their sexual nature, they were still decent human beings.

theloner

Those who fought for the rights that people take for granted today were mainly British Soldiers !!
Our nat/rep chums would do well to remember that !!
A sad day indeed for Gay Rights..........:(
Don't go telling Bilko that!

RedCloud

RedCloud

The loon that is MMOTG was never in the British Army, our resident homophobe was.
Loon ? Never seen you call it that when it was in full flow mate ?
Hypocrisy much :)

RedCloud

Was only vaguely aware of the guy tbh. It undoubtedly took a lot of courage to come out as a gay man, as he did, when he did. Even now it takes a bit of guts here, and this is very rarely acknowledged. When I was younger, if a gay bloke tried to hit on you, you'd be horrified and you'd shun him thereafter. It was a social taboo, way beyond what it is now, in those days.
As time has moved on, many of us have learned to be more tolerant and understanding, and the credit for that goes to people who had the courage to stand up for themselves and proclaim that while they were different to us in their sexual nature, they were still decent human beings.
'Israel is a rogue, terrorist state, supported by bloodthirsty, murderous scumbags'.

Luverley......on the one hand eulogising about our dear departed. On the other,waxing lyrical about a whole nation of people,and her friends ?

Hypocrisy....a word our nat/rep chums really have to come to terms with :)

FitzjamesHorse

Website
fitzjameshorselooksattheworld.wordpress.com
Twitter
FitzjamesHorse
A genuinely nice guy. I only met him twice. He was a member of SDLP in South Belfast.
We throw around words like Diversity......but people like PA were diverse long before it became fashionable to be diverse.
And he and people like him expanded our concept of Civil & Human Rights.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Ó Donnchadha

An orange pope - I don't believe it!
I am referring to the photo in the above post. I quoted the wrong post.

This is where my support for Gay rights activist diverge and never again shall the twain meet. The average Gay male and female live there lives as any other citizen. They work, marry and are active in their communities.

My question is, why the open and aggressive assault of persons who are Catholic and/or Christian ? The funny thing is, that activist often brag about their diversity and inclusive nature, but I have learned first hand, that only applies if you agree with them unequivocally. . Gays often use LGBTA, the A standing for allies. I think they lose allies when they insult the rest of society.

If they want to be my ally, they need to respect where I am coming from. I want to make it clear, this is no blanket indictment of the Gay community. I have worked with and befriended Gay persons, but when they ask me my beliefs and/or religion, I should expect the same respect back.

Last edited:

Mackers

This guy came out to fight his corner when to do so, you needed a set and a half. For that he should be remembered.

Just Jack

RIP to the man.

PeacefulViking

I am referring to the photo in the above post. I quoted the wrong post.

This is where my support for Gay rights activist diverge and never again shall the twain meet. The average Gay male and female live there lives as any other citizen. They work, marry and are active in their communities.
They do not marry like anyone else in Ireland or the UK yet.

PeacefulViking

My question is, why the open and aggressive assault of persons who are Catholic and/or Christian ? The funny thing is, that activist often brag about their diversity and inclusive nature, but I have learned first hand, that only applies if you agree with them unequivocally. . Gays often use LGBTA, the A standing for allies. I think they lose allies when they insult the rest of society.
I do not know the Gay movement to engage in aggressive attacks on ordinary people who are Christian. They understandably do not like the hierarchy of the Catholic Church much since they have been responsible for more than a 1000 years of persecution of gay people and still call them disordered and describe gay sex as "evil".

J

Johnny Boy

I'm a bit curious as to where he arrived at the Irish spelling of his surname. I'm no Irish scholar but surely it should be Mac rather than Mag? I've never seen that form before and it looks completely contrived.