• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

SAD NEWS - Richard Briers has died at 79 - The Good Life

PleaseDaddyNo

he was good in one foot in the grave

Sync

Aw. Sad stuff. Liked the Good Life, LOVED Ever Decreasing Circles.

Victor Meldrew

Aw. Sad stuff. Liked the Good Life, LOVED Ever Decreasing Circles.
What a cast. Richard, Felicity Kendal, Paul Eddington and of course, Penelope Keith.

The Margot and Tom chemistry really made that programme....

And of course, we all fancied Felicity Kendall....

Sync

Roisin3

Sad news. So many of the great British comedy actors have now gone.

Rural

He was in loads of things like Morse, a Touch of Frost, Midsomer Murders and many more.

I read one of his books "Natter, Natter", which I stupidly leant to someone else, it's probably out of print now.

I enjoyed all his work, God rest.

Casualbets

RIP. I watch The Good Life with my mother - who has alzheimers - whenever it's on Gold in the afternoon. One of the few programs that manages to get a laugh out of both of us. :)

Aindriu

Yet another great gone to the Rep in the sky.

Nordie Northsider

Sad to hear that. He appeared in a series called 'Ever Decreasing Circles' which at first look was just another middle class, middle age sit-com but which was really a fine example of what the British do very well - the comedy of quiet desperation and unfulfilled lives. Much of mainstream British comedy is very dark indeed.

Here's an anecdote about Richard Briers that he himself was said to have enjoyed:

The legendary comedy writer and performer Barry Cryer is the acknowledged maestro of the showbiz anecdote. This week, over a glass at an awards do, he treated me to what may be his best yet.

The venerable Nicholas Parsons was chatting to young comic Ross Noble at a recording of Radio 4’s Just A Minute.

Nicholas asked Ross who his favourite comedian was. “Richard Pryor,” replied Ross, naming the edgy, influential black American comic.

“Funny man, but what a life. Raised in a brothel, spells in jail, drink and drugs and psychological issues, nearly burned himself alive trying to freebase crack cocaine on a homemade stove...”

“Gosh,” says Nicholas, visibly shocked.

A little later, Nicholas is overheard chatting to another of the show’s guests.

With a look of great concern he leans closer and says: “Have you heard about Richard Briers...?”

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies