• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Sadiq Khan moves to ban body-shaming ads from London transport

Bea C

New London Mayor Sadiq Khan moves to ban body-shaming ads from London transport. Argument is they "demean women". Islamic preachers make the same claim. Is this where contemporary PeeCee fascism meets Islamic fascism?

Sadiq Khan moves to ban body-shaming ads from London transport | Media | The Guardian
I saw that on the BBC site yesterday.
It was Jo Swinson of the Lib Dems brought about the true earthquake on this front in recent years, however:

Airbrushed make-up ads banned for 'misleading' - BBC News

Spanner Island

New London Mayor Sadiq Khan moves to ban body-shaming ads from London transport. Argument is they "demean women". Islamic preachers make the same claim. Is this where contemporary PeeCee fascism meets Islamic fascism?

Sadiq Khan moves to ban body-shaming ads from London transport | Media | The Guardian
Body shaming... FFS... :roll:

This is ludicrous stuff...

Those bodies are being celebrated afaic'ed... and rightly so... and if people got off their arses and did some exercise and consumed in moderation (including myself)... then maybe there'd be more bodies around to celebrate...

I can't see this succeeding tbh and I hope it doesn't because it would be a depressing and dangerous precedent.

P.ieire

I'm glad he's trying to control what women do with their bodies.
Don't you feel safer?
Lovely man.

silverharp

I'd say its more a feminist driven issue than a muslim one so it was probably going to happen one way or the other. Shock horror adverts may not be realistic.

EoinMag

I'm glad he's trying to control what women do with their bodies.
Don't you feel safer?
Lovely man.
Are you sure? That's a strange take away from this.

I'd have said personally that body shaming and airbrushed ads to make women think that the make-up will do what photoshop and airbrushing actually did are more about controlling what women want to do with their bodies..he's trying to control ad agencies.

This is trying to free women from the tyranny of the photo editor and the marketing pony tailed ******************************s...

Spanner Island

Maybe Sadiq would prefer something like this for the 'Beach Ready' campaign image?

Or maybe not... maybe that might be condoning being overweight... or even obesity... :shock:

Where would Sadiq's campaign lead to I'm wondering?

Maybe no people in any adverts... just product photos...

Or maybe blurred out people in the background... that you can't make out one way or another... like they've done on TV for years when using 'editorial'/stock footage...

silverharp

Are you sure? That's a strange take away from this.

I'd have said personally that body shaming and airbrushed ads to make women think that the make-up will do what photoshop and airbrushing actually did are more about controlling what women want to do with their bodies..he's trying to control ad agencies.

This is trying to free women from the tyranny of the photo editor and the marketing pony tailed ******************************s...
but are you suggesting that empowered (don't hold my hand) women need protecting from all the wickle images that might go into their brain. you don't see men campaigning to have BMW adverts pulled because it might make them feel inadequate because their wallets cant stretch?

EoinMag

but are you suggesting that empowered (don't hold my hand) women need protecting from all the wickle images that might go into their brain. you don't see men campaigning to have BMW adverts pulled because it might make them feel inadequate because their wallets cant stretch?
Go ride your bigoted ************************e hobby horses elsewhere you dope.

Cato

He (and others) seem to believe that women are feeble creatures and must, like children, be protected from pernicious influences owing to their weak minds and even weaker wills.

I have to say that I've far more respect for women than that and believe it shameful to infantilise them in this manner. The sexism and lack of respect for women is frankly shocking, particularly in an elected public official holding such a prominent office.

drummed

Its better than having to endure the other passengers if there's distracting lingerie ads in the carriage. What are we going to do now?:shock2:

Roll_On

Shocking stuff. Reminds me of a recent ad in which a woman in her knickers was holding a sign while standing on the luas tracks on Harcourt St. The feminists of facebook were allover that with condemnation and rape culture and what have you.

It seems that women are free, from men at least, to do what they want. But if said woman is especially photogenic and she wants to trade on her good looks to get attention and/or make a nice career for herself that just won't do and she will be denounced from the social media alter.

What will non plus-sized female models do in the future? they can't work because their existence shames feminists and toblerone lovers.

The_SR

How are the Muslims getting blamed for this. It's a straight down the line advertising standards issue off the back of a complaint

benroe

People will soon be replaced by digital images in advertisements.

silverharp

Shocking stuff. Reminds me of a recent ad in which a woman in her knickers was holding a sign while standing on the luas tracks on Harcourt St. The feminists of facebook were allover that with condemnation and rape culture and what have you.

It seems that women are free, from men at least, to do what they want. But if said woman is especially photogenic and she wants to trade on her good looks to get attention and/or make a nice career for herself that just won't do and she will be denounced from the social media alter.

What will non plus-sized female models do in the future? they can't work because their existence shames feminists and toblerone lovers.
the goal of feminists being largely ugly lazy and or fat want to demolish objective beauty standards, Darwin in his wisdom hard coded this information into our brains so it wont work, year on year a new generation of guys will broadly value the female form as in years past and no amount of convincing them that heffalumps are attractive is going to work. It will be funny though if feminists make much headway

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies