Sales for National newspapers has fallen by 8.2% over the last twelve months

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Oh dear, the govt will have to take the 9% VAT rate off the printed media for Denis O'Brien and co. to make their media ' business's ' so called profitable. It should be pointed out that back in 2011 FG/LP when they were raising the standard rate of VAT from 21% to 23%, they lowered the rate on the print media to 9% so O'Bribe and co. could make a profit. Yep folks, that's how gombeenism parasite's off us. Still great to see one of the main tent poles of the circus, the media falling further :) So what's the next excuse they'll pull to support the corporate/establishment media ?

" The Island of Ireland report for the National newspapers ABC’s was released covering the period January to June 2017. Looking at the overall picture, the market for National newspapers has fallen by 8.2% over the last twelve months. "

Irish Newspaper Circulation January-June 2017 - Media and Marketing Consulting, PPC, SEO Ireland, Search Engine Optimisation,

Last edited:

Levellers

Geraldine Kennedy destroyed the Irish Times and the new lad isn't much better.

I actually am surprised that the figure is that low.

Herr Rommel

It has been years since I last bought a paper.

jmcc

Used to buy the Irish Times when it was a newspaper. Stopped when it was not.

Dame_Enda

The internet has reduced the numbers working in the US print media from around 417,000 to around 178,000 according to the LA Times today. The Edelman and other polls show that especially in the West, people don't trust the media including a drop to around 32% in Ireland. In my opinion, people are tired of the groupthink that comes with growing consolidation of media ownership.

tigerben

Every week it seems SuperValu are giving away a different paper free at the checkout , and still people refuse .

jmcc

Best thing I've read online for ages! :lol:
That is actually one of the major reasons for the decline of the print media. There was a shift away from journalism to commentary in the 1990s. Real journalism was expensive and hard work. So the newspapers became infested with "columnists". Comment is cheap. The World Wide Web was developing and it eventually gave everyone with an opinion the chance and the means to publish it. Social Media is the real killer for the arsehole-gazing media commentariat.

The web has also changed how people consume news. With printed newspapers, one had to buy the newspaper and that meant that the newspaper could claim that people "read" the newspaper. But with the web, people can pick and choose what they want to read and this changes the balance of power. You only have to look at the commentariat pages on the IT site to see how utterly irrelevant some of the articles are based on user comments or, more precisely, the lack of them. (Only a few columnists continually get comments.) The Dindo seems to have an awful lot of dubious user comments from people who don't seem to be familiar with Ireland. Its online site seems to be a crude attempt to be a kind of Daily Mail site without the T&A.

It would not be unexpected if some one of the main daily newspapers went bang in the next few years.

okibb

I see the ST has bucked the trend.

Last bastion with a semblance of journalistic balance IMHO.

Indo, Examiner and IT all down. Too right, they're just opinion rags now. Stopped buying them when Aonghus and Conor left.

eoghanacht

How much of a whip around does Dinny need, can it wait til the end of the month it's a bit tight what with the kids going back to school.

mr_anderson

Geraldine Kennedy destroyed the Irish Times and the new lad isn't much better.

To be honest, it's a dying industry.
The only thing anyone can do is slow the inexorable decline.
Kennedy may have overpaid for myhome, but it's potentially making more money than the paper now.

I'm not cheering on the demise of newspapers like many here.
They play an important role in investigating the various pillars of society.
However, given certain ownerships of certain titles, I often wonder how much we are allowed to see and how much is used for 'backroom' negotiations.

razorblade

The future is all online, print media is a dying breed, there's nothing that can be done about it it's inevitable.

New Threads

Most Replies