Salman al-Saud declares war on Wahhabism

gleeful

The heir to the House of Saud, the absolute rulers of Saudi Arabia, has said he will return the country to “moderate Islam”. This is a direct attack on Wahhabism - the extremist (and completely bonkers) version of Islam which the House of Saud has promoted in Arabia for 200 years.

It is Wahhabism which got the Saudi royal family into power and keeps them there by opposing all reforms. This is an amazingly brave and dangerous move by Salman al-Saud.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/24/i-will-return-saudi-arabia-moderate-islam-crown-prince

Plenty of nutters in his country will not wish him well in this.

Northsideman

The heir to the House of Saud, the absolute rulers of Saudi Arabia, has said he will return the country to “moderate Islam”. This is a direct attack on Wahhabism - the extremist (and completely bonkers) version of Islam which the House of Saud has promoted in Arabia for 200 years.

It is Wahhabism which got the Saudi royal family into power and keeps them there by opposing all reforms. This is an amazingly brave and dangerous move by Salman al-Saud.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/24/i-will-return-saudi-arabia-moderate-islam-crown-prince

Let's first see him hurl on the pitch and not the ditch.

mr_anderson

This is significant.
I hope he has sufficient support at home, because a massage such as this creates a lot of enemies.

I wish him well in his endevour.

midlander12

Yeah, right - just trying to placate the Yanks. Could be the Trump administration(or the functioning parts of it) is not quite the pushover that its predecessors were.

Sotired

Sounds promising and a significant change for the best.

Will it result in Saudi funds being cut-off to mosques and worse in the west?

One would like to think so.

How much opposition will he face, and how violent might that get?

Time will tell.

Clanrickard

If he is serious I wish him well. If he succeeds in side-lining the loonies he will have done this planet much service.

Karloff

I would rather see them endure what Syria or Yemen has endured to be honest than a quiet peaceful transformation to a form that would be acceptable to Western liberal tastes (which would be beneficial to them (and that is what they are thinking of)) which would offer no guarantee their genocidal thrusts would be quieted anyway as genocide and any liberal ethos you can think of can sit happily side by side. They have earned it, but we do not get what we deserve in this life.

owedtojoy

I am a bit skeptical and cynical myself.

Does this mean that Saudi Arabia will now send out thousands of non-Wahhabi preachers to try to undo the radicalisation of Muslim youth in the west that did tons of damage to Islam and the West alike, more damage than was done by any single Islamic country?

And the ones already out there, probably now with independent incomes and followers? How will they be countered?

It would be good to see the Saudis support Muslim communities trying to shield their children from the preachers that were funded by them up until now. But I wonder if that is really what will happen, or will be just be cosmetic? A sham exercise to keep Trump and the US happy?

I hope some western government (France or Germany, maybe?) challenge the Saudis to show exactly what they intend. Their noses should be pushed to the grindstone to ensure they deliver.

Northsideman

I am a bit skeptical and cynical myself.

Does this mean that Saudi Arabia will now send out thousands of non-Wahhabi preachers to try to undo the radicalisation of Muslim youth in the west that did tons of damage to Islam and the West alike, more damage than was done by any single Islamic country?

And the ones already out there, probably now with independent incomes and followers? How will they be countered?

It would be good to see the Saudis support Muslim communities trying to shield their children from the preachers that were funded by them up until now. But I wonder if that is really what will happen, or will be just be cosmetic? A sham exercise to keep Trump and the US happy?

I hope some western government (France or Germany, maybe?) challenge the Saudis to show exactly what they intend. Their noses should be pushed to the grindstone to ensure they deliver.
They'll all nod in approval and do or say FA to upset the Saudis, they never have and won't be starting anytime soon.

Trampas

Summers spent on the French Riviera seem to be taking their toll.

roc_

... This is a direct attack on Wahhabism - the extremist (and completely bonkers) version of Islam which the House of Saud has promoted in Arabia for 200 years...
Ignorant nonsense. Many members of the house of Saud have regularly taken on the powerful Saudi clerics over the years, and certainly in the last 10 years or so they may even have them on the back foot. The conflict goes way back. E.g. The Ikhwan Wahhabist-Bedouin revolt.

Load of 5hite.

He advocated and supported IS/AL Qaeda in Syria, he fully supports and started the destruction of Yemen, he is exporting terrorism around the world and somehow we believe he has had an 11th hour Road to Damascus conversion.

Guy is a control freak dictator who wants power sooner rather than later and will say what the dumb west wants to hear.

Volatire

Seismic if true.

And a direct result of President Trump’s strategy.

Niall996

The Trump effect is quite extraordinary.

Northsideman

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Will it result in Saudi funds being cut-off to mosques and worse in the west?
I am positive this will not be the case. At best, we can hope for a moderation of the message. Proselytising zeal is not just a feature of "hard line" Islam. An Islam that wasn't trying to convert the infidel wouldn't be acceptable to the average even mildly conservative Muslim. Also, Mosques, especially shiny impressive ones provide a morale boost to Western Muslims and are far too valuable a tool of influence for their benefactors to ever consider cutting loose.

Northsideman

Course they do....................... he is ok, he is a great guy, he will stop doing all the stuff Saudi's have been doing for decades and he really was misunderstood.

Will appeasers.
Jayus (or should that be Allah) maybe he can put the Twin Towers back up

New Threads

Most Replies