• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sandy "Island"

FloatingVoterTralee

So, for over a decade, Sandy Island or "L'Ile du Sable" had appeared on global maps purely because of imagery on Google Earth, and when scientists decided to confirm its location, nothing but blue water was evident. Surprising that in the era of GPS, cartographers can make a blunder of the "here be dragons" variety.

GDPR

Wasn't it a Google Earth mistake rather than a cartography mistake? When the cartographers finally arrived, they found that Google was wrong.

slippy wicket

retep

I think the clue may lie in the name "sandy" island. Probably nothing more than a significant sand bar and therefore susceptible to shifting sands, a phenonom all to evident even if one views the OSi website of the changing topographic photography of Ireland's estuaries over a period of 15 years Www.osi.ie

Last edited:

Cornerman

I think the clue may lie in the name "sandy" island. Probably nothing more than a significant sand bar and therefore susceptible to shifting sands, a phenonom all to evident even if one views the OSi website of the changing topographic photography of Ireland's estuaries over a period of 15 years Ordnance Survey Ireland | Home
That was my first thought - but it seems where Sandy Island isn't, the water is 1,400m deep! That's a lot of sand!

BBC News - South Pacific Sandy Island 'proven not to exist'

GDPR

Google is wrong with its map of my area. It has a large building at the entrance to a park, and several footpaths in the park are dead ends. Most of the footpaths it has drawn do not exist.

asterix

So, for over a decade, Sandy Island or "L'Ile du Sable" had appeared on global maps purely because of imagery on Google Earth
I don't think any of the sources claim that the error originated with Google. The Guardian article says "It had also featured for the past 12 years on the usually reliable world coastline database." Ham radio operators undiscovered it in 2000 when it was on a National Geographic map.

The Owl

I thought it had been on English maps for ages, but never on French maps as the non-existant island lay in French waters? It's good that Mother Nature still flummoxes us, isn't it. Did I spell flummox right? Strange word. I'm flummoxed by it. Now I will have to investigate that, let alone islands that don't exist.

Hey, maybe we don't exist! Wouldn't that be great.

YongHoi

There's another Isle De Sable, off the coast of Newfoundland. When I first saw it (from the cockpit of the aircraft) I thought it was a cloud on the horizon. A quick check on the map revealed the reality of it.
When I got home and looked it up on the web it was fascinating. The only inhabitants are a herd of horses which were reputedly ship wrecked there two hundred years ago. The horses are the descendants of those taken from the Arcadian French who were driven out of eastern Canada 250 years ago.
The island is no more than 50' at its highest point. It's incredible the horses have survived. Winters would be brutal.

The Arcadian French shifted to Louisiana, and the name Cajun is a corruption of Arcadian.
See here: Sable Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
There was an island that 'disappeared' last year in the Carribbean I think. Chavez accused the US Navy of 'blowing it up'.

ruserious

It's where Anglo's moral stores were kept.

zippo222

Moving islands

[SIR – The inability of a survey ship to find Sandy Island (report, November 22) does not mean it does not exist. It is not unusual in the South Pacific, particularly when using GPS, to find islands wrongly charted. When they were discovered, navigation was not such an exact science.

Pitcairn Island, for example, is at least two miles west of its charted position.

Prudent navigators should exercise the greatest caution when approaching Pacific islands – and always in daylight.

Captain Peter J Newton

Chellaston, Derbyshire ]

Battle of the bins shows why electors no longer expect councils to listen - Telegraph

retep

There's another Isle De Sable, off the coast of Newfoundland. When I first saw it (from the cockpit of the aircraft) I thought it was a cloud on the horizon. A quick check on the map revealed the reality of it.
When I got home and looked it up on the web it was fascinating. The only inhabitants are a herd of horses which were reputedly ship wrecked there two hundred years ago. The horses are the descendants of those taken from the Arcadian French who were driven out of eastern Canada 250 years ago.
The island is no more than 50' at its highest point. It's incredible the horses have survived. Winters would be brutal.

The Arcadian French shifted to Louisiana, and the name Cajun is a corruption of Arcadian.
See here: Sable Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fascinating stuff - had never heard of it before and have been reading quite a lot about shipwrecks in recent years including about the Batavivia, the Essex and The Medusa. Thanks

Bonsai Experiment

So, for over a decade, Sandy Island or "L'Ile du Sable" had appeared on global maps purely because of imagery on Google Earth, and when scientists decided to confirm its location, nothing but blue water was evident.

Did anyone tell these scientists about the other phenomenon called .... the tide?

nonpartyboy

It looks like an aircraft carrier.......maybe it first "appeared" from a satellite image....

Popular Threads

Most Replies