Sarah Carey leaving the Irish Times following this week's events

Orbit v2

Yes, it's a bit like the difference between receiving stolen goods, and stealing the goods yourself.

louisb

She had to be sacked, no respectable news source could have her on board.
People, political parties, and companies leak and spin stories for the very reason that respectable news sources print and broadcast them and then refuse to say who gave them the story. Was not Madam in court over some such case? Sadly as a recent study showed most of what we get in Irish papers is just recycled spin and pr given to them. Respectable independent Journalism died some time ago.

Boy M5

She's playing the long game. A logical strategy to take. Do penance now, giving the ability to offset criticism in the future as by current actions she has made herself more above suspicion than Caesar's wife.

I think Scary Carey could be one ambitious lady.

powderfinger

Carey harmed O'Brien. He could certainly have done without her 'evidence'. His credibility has been partially eroded because of her ditzy behaviour.
....strange how some think she's a journalist !!
This leaked titbit's timing(Jan 2003) was significant given Matt Cooper's December 2002 Sunday Tribune article and commencement by the Moriarty Tribunal of Esat-centric sittings.
Here's Cooper's article from December 2002.

Moriarty to probe Lowry link to Telenor
The Sunday Tribune has also established that the Moriarty tribunal has not investigated written evidence that strongly suggests Lowry gave preferential treatment to O'Brien's landline telephone company Esat Telecom at the expense of O'Brien's competitors and the state-owned Telecom Eireann.

A series of letters show Lowry ordered that speci c facilities be made available exclusively to Esat Telecom despite strong legal advice from Telecom and his own department that this was illegal.

It is also understood that members of O'Brien's legal team were abbergasted to see him appear on RTE's PrimeTime on Wednesday evening to defend himself over allegations that Esat Digifone had come into possession of confidential and important information relating to the competition. They feared that this appearance, prior to giving evidence relating to it, might intensify dif culties with the tribunal's legal team.

Public relations experts also expressed surprise at his decision. They said once he defended any action in public he will now have to defend all of them because any future silences may be interpreted as if he has something to hide.
Was Sarah Carey inspired to leak as a solo run or did she have discussions with others before reaching her decision?

stoichkov

She was acting in Denis O'Brien's (and FG's) interest. I don't see how she stood to gain anything herself.
she worked for o'brien in the past. in subsequent years she then wrote countless articles saying what a great man he was. she has just been given a new radio show on the o'brien-owned newstalk. i'm guessing the two of them are still great pals.

Analyzer

Sarah Carey has admitted that she did wrong.

However, it looks bad for the Old Fool on D'Oliers Street to have Sarah Carey writing articles.

The fact that many of the articles were rubbish was never a reason for Carey to go any time in the past two years. But the fact that she makes the IT look bad is a reason for her to go.

I suspect she got a payoff. She did not contravene Irish employment Law. Therefore she must have received a handy lump sum.

This is typical of the IT. Dan O'Brien is still the economics correspondent. And Austin Hughes still makes contributions every now and then concerning economic growth. (though he has decided to stay quiet on the housing market for the time being).

Only one question left "whatever happened to Dan McLaughlin ?"

eyeSpy

this'll get her more followers on twatter.
that seems to be the metric for success with blogger types.

Orbit v2

she worked for o'brien in the past. in subsequent years she then wrote countless articles saying what a great man he was. she has just been given a new radio show on the o'brien-owned newstalk. i'm guessing the two of them are still great pals.
Maybe so, which means she's compromised on matters related to O'Brien. But getting a job on newstalk wouldn't be much of a "gain" to offset losing the Irish Times gig, imo.

I think others have summed this up fairly well. She was a loose cannon and became an embarrassment to the paper - and was (or will be) paid off.

I don't see misogyny playing a major role in this. She's opinionated and controversial. So, the flak goes with the territory. Some people are definitely afraid of shouty/feisty women though :)

Odyessus

Maybe so, which means she's compromised on matters related to O'Brien. But getting a job on newstalk wouldn't be much of a "gain" to offset losing the Irish Times gig, imo.

I think others have summed this up fairly well. She was a loose cannon and became an embarrassment to the paper - and was (or will be) paid off.

I don't see misogyny playing a major role in this. She's opinionated and controversial. So, the flak goes with the territory. Some people are definitely afraid of shouty/feisty women though :)

I don't think "afraid" is quite the right word. "Irritated" is more like it.

stoichkov

According to Brenda Power, this wagon is the victim of the misogyny inherent in the system.

All you beastly sexist men leave her alone.
christ, has brenda power ever been correct or prescient about a single solitary subject in her entire career?

DJP

Is Sarah Carey still presenting her programme on TV3 and Newstalk???

ger12

Wagmore

I do. She's done her time. And her Newstalk programe wasn't bad.
Though, that is true too. She needs to come clean though. Ears couldn't take her knowing she had "lied" to help her boss in those circumstances.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies