• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sargent rules out coalition with Fianna Fáil

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Green Party leader Trevor Sargent has rejected a suggestion from the Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern that his party could go into government with Fianna Fáil after the next election.

"I have said before that I will not lead the Greens into a coalition with Fianna Fáil in its present form. The party needs to go into opposition and radically change itself before the Greens could even consider a coalition with it," Mr Sargent told The Irish Times.

He said that a root and branch reform of Fianna Fáil and particularly its approach to ethics in public office and its relationship with vested interests would have to happen. - Irish Times

Other coverage: Irish Independent

hiding behind a poster

Good news for D'Alternative. Looking like all the smaller parties are one by one catching the electoral wind, and seeing that to leave the option of coalition with FF open is to invite punishment from the electorate. Kinda shows just how deep-rooted the anti-FF mood is among the voters is right now - and if so it'll take more than a giveaway budget to change their minds.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
hiding behind a poster said:
Good news for D'Alternative. Looking like all the smaller parties are one by one catching the electoral wind, and seeing that to leave the option of coalition with FF open is to invite punishment from the electorate. Kinda shows just how deep-rooted the anti-FF mood is among the voters is right now - and if so it'll take more than a giveaway budget to change their minds.
Ahem .. ask the ordinary members of "the smaller parties" Hiding, and you'll find most of them don't want anything to do with FG either.

hiding behind a poster

rockofcashel said:
Ahem .. ask the ordinary members of "the smaller parties" Hiding, and you'll find most of them don't want anything to do with FG either.

:lol: I think you know my point, rock. I suppose I could qualify it by saying "the small parties who are interested in government-forming" - and in that regard its good from our point of view to see Labour and now the Greens take this approach. As for the others - while obviously the PDs won't rule out coalition with FF, they'll spend the election distancing themselves from FF as much as possible, in a futile attempt to convince the electorate that theyre somehow different. The likes of the SP and SWP aren't interested in government-forming (not as long as capitalism exists, anyway), which leaves SF. And SF know that there's no hope of FG joining with them (not after this election, anyway), so it suits them to stay quiet on the coalition issue, seeing as they've only one realistic option. The good news from the FG point of view is that those parties to whom both options are open are sh*tting on the FF option as much as possible - which means they're picking up the same electoral vibes as we are. :lol:

oreiley1

FF AND FG

After the next election there should be a left/right realignment in Irish politics. It is totally ridiculous that we have two right wing parties at the helm in Irish politics. Both FF and FG should be forced into coalition with each other.

President Bartlet

They rule it out pre-election - but post election now thats a different ball game - u mean that Trev would not be tempted by a Ministerial Merc (or would that be a bike in Trev's case?), the position of Tanaiste and be Minister for the Environment in an FF/GR govt and an opportunity to get some of his policies implemented - me thinks he would - he'd be a fool not to.

doozer

President Bartlet said:
They rule it out pre-election - but post election now thats a different ball game - u mean that Trev would not be tempted by a Ministerial Merc (or would that be a bike in Trev's case?), the position of Tanaiste and be Minister for the Environment in an FF/GR govt and an opportunity to get some of his policies implemented - me thinks he would - he'd be a fool not to.
I doubt the Greens would risk alienating their core voter group by cozying up to Fine Fail, who they constantly cite as being irretrievably corrupt.

Unlike Fine Fail most of the other parties have some semblance of integrity and don't take the "I'll sell my granny to stay in power" attitude to politics!

This statement from the Greens is positive progress for FG even if in the end they are surplus to requirements. It certainly is a redflag in terms of how objectionable FF have become.

info

Bar ff/fg, everyone will deal with everyone else. It's nonsense to pay any heed to what anyone says while in election mode. All politicians are principiled before elections and pragmatic after.

doozer

info said:
Bar ff/fg, everyone will deal with everyone else. It's nonsense to pay any heed to what anyone says while in election mode. All politicians are principiled before elections and pragmatic after.
Perhaps, but there is the distinct whiff of annihilation surrounding FF at the moment and the smaller parties, quite rightly, don't want to catch it off them. We'll see come June/July '07 but to be honest I'd be surprised if FF were in a position to go into coalition with the Greens in any case.

qtman

rockofcashel said:
Precisely. This is all just electoral padding. TS would be saying the same thing about FG if they were in Government. Its all good press. It promotes the GP as the moral conscience of Irish politics. The PDs are probably the only other party who can wear this mantel.

info

doozer said:
info said:
Perhaps, but there is the distinct whiff of annihilation surrounding FF at the moment and the smaller parties, quite rightly, don't want to catch it off them. We'll see come June/July '07 but to be honest I'd be surprised if FF were in a position to go into coalition with the Greens in any case.
How the election will go is a different issue. But as for opposition parties distancing themselves from the government it is only natural. They can’t criticise them and then in the same breath say they would go into government with them. But after the election everyone will talk with everyone else and it will be a question of getting the best deal.

doozer

qtman said:
rockofcashel said:
Precisely. This is all just electoral padding. TS would be saying the same thing about FG if they were in Government. Its all good press. It promotes the GP as the moral conscience of Irish politics. The PDs are probably the only other party who can wear this mantel.
Can the PD's really wear this mantel anymore? These days they are less the moral conscience and more the dirty little secret.

qtman

doozer said:
qtman said:
rockofcashel said:
Can the PD's really wear this mantel anymore? These days they are less the moral conscience and more the dirty little secret.
The PDs may not be popular, and their idealogy doesn't lend well to the notoin of social conscience, but they've never been associated with anything that is morally corrupt (other than Tom Parlon appearing in that feedstuffs advert).

Molly

info said:
Exactly info. Trev turner down the chance to align himself with FG/Lab, so all I have heard (in terms or real action) is that trev isn’t so sure about FG/Lab turning the recent opinion poles into votes/seats. To be honest im not either because we have heard so much of the same thing coming from the opposition, health and justice (PD ministries). Those two departments need a lot to be desired but, the gov might be able to use PDs as the sacrificial lamb in the next year, because the rest of the government hasn’t come in for so much sustained criticism (Willy O Dea’s front page photo and other one week wonders) and come voting time I think the people might associate the sub-standard parts of the government with PDs rather than FF. And if you ask me I think the media has picked up on this 2 years ago already.
The truth is trev wouldn’t be where he is if he wasn’t willing to sell his Ma. Playing for the high moral ground is part of being the green party. He didn’t align himself with anyone yet because he will be the only party who can realistically be part of a FF or FG gov.

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
I think the last few days have effectively ensured that there will assuredly not be a GP/FF coalition, or deal of any sort, after the next election. Speaking as someone who was reasonably open-minded towards the possibility, there is now just about no question of it happening.

Website
certainpeople.wordpress.com
the last couple of opinion polls seem to me to indicate that FF is unlikely to lose the next election, unless the opposition can really pull out the stops on the campaigning. i don't think FF will need the Greens.

Worldbystorm

green said:
I think the last few days have effectively ensured that there will assuredly not be a GP/FF coalition, or deal of any sort, after the next election. Speaking as someone who was reasonably open-minded towards the possibility, there is now just about no question of it happening.
I really wish the Greens would think more seriously about this option. With a list containing ethical standards they want implemented, I'm thinking particularly of local government, planning and other areas, and a serious push towards energy efficiency and other policies the Greens would be in a remarkably strong position to seriously influence the political system at a crucial time. We've seen the general influence a single smaller party can bring to bear on FF, it's hard to understand why the Greens would see their influence as being greater in an FG/Lab coalition which would already have watered down their proposals...

Fnarr-Fnarr

Worldbystorm said:
With a list containing ethical standards they want implemented ... We've seen the general influence a single smaller party can bring to bear on FF ...
Ha Ha. God, that brightened up my day.