• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

save limerick city

ymmek

If the Brosnan report is adopted limerick city will no longer exist.Is it possble that John Gormley will not grant the boundary extension that Limerick badly needs and instead merge the city with the county and in doing so do away with our status as a city.Our tds and concillors must demand that Limerick remains a city and is given the opportunity to grow and expand not be swallowed up as part of some huge beaurocratic conglomerate.

Last edited:

Dredger

Did you catch this;

But those taking part in today's protest said that if the proposal to extend the boundary is implemented, it would have a negative impact on their culture and other aspects of their identity.
RT News: Protest over Limerick border extension plan

As if people in the part of Clare adjacent to Limerick city had a separate culture and identity to people living two miles down the road, ridiculous.

TonyBird

Its a catch 22 . In order to really 'save' the city , we need to wipe out the corporation that gave us some of the worst housing estates and urban planning in europe . tbh I think the greater urban council is the way to go . The 'City' can survive(on a technichality) within that area by designating as far as Raheen and UL as 'City' .

quackquack

I think the citizens were more concerned with what county the U12 camogie team would have to play.
More parish pump rubbish....

Meanwhile the city is run by multiple councils each making a bigger bollix of things than the other....

firefighter

Nothing like a big argument about boundaries as the Social Welfare system props up a city on the brink of economic and cultural ruin.

Bulldoze the whole place and re-house everyone to Cork/Galway/Dublin.

Shannon airport is finished with the completion of the new motorway there last month.

TonyBird

Nothing like a big argument about boundaries as the Social Welfare system props up a city on the brink of economic and cultural ruin.

Bulldoze the whole place and re-house everyone to Cork/Galway/Dublin.

Shannon airport is finished with the completion of the new motorway there last month.
I appreciate the dry humour but 'the boundary' has played a huge role in Limericks economic underdevelopment . Even 'the success story' of Dell , paid their rates to the folks out in the county . In effect , villages on the Kerry border got more from Dell , in terms of rates , than city estates 2 miles from the factory .

Dredger

Looks like Limerick has more to be worried about than just issues of boundaries

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/133993-limerick-city-dying.html
The place is completely screwed economically and socially . Vast areas of the city are no mans land, the highest ratio of scumbags in the country, jobs bleeding out of the place 10 times faster than they can be replaced. It is a mess.. Irelands Detroit.

Just look at this;

Google Maps

Even once decent suburbs like Raheen and Caherdavin are turning to sh%t.

KingsIsland

The place is completely screwed economically and socially . Vast areas of the city are no mans land, the highest ratio of scumbags in the country, jobs bleeding out of the place 10 times faster than they can be replaced. It is a mess.. Irelands Detroit.

Just look at this;

Google Maps

That shot is not of Raheen or Caherdavin it is from O Malley Park in southill.

Ingersoll

Just look at this;

Google Maps

What a load of bollox, our family have lived in Limerick for 10 years and it's a lovely place. Economically and socially it's no worse than other city. I have never had a problem with the seedier side of Limerick as they keep to themselves. Everyone in Ireland seems to enjoy kicking Limerick, i lived in Tralee for a few years, so i know how bad things can get.

rubensni

As if people in the part of Clare adjacent to Limerick city had a separate culture and identity to people living two miles down the road, ridiculous.
Funny thing is any of them seeking culture go to Limerick for it (museums, galleries, cinemas, etc.).

I suppose they get a few pound off their insurance :rolleyes:

TonyBird

I never said it was Raheen or Caherdavin.
You didnt but 'Kingsisland' pointed out what it wasnt . I am just wondering what his point is . Is he in denial ? An estate agent perhaps?

Last edited:

Dredger

What a load of bollox, our family have lived in Limerick for 10 years and it's a lovely place.
I lived there myself for years. It is all bad but the rot is steadily spreading.

Economically and socially it's no worse than other city.
It is. You should venture to Galway or Cork. Both have their fair share of problems but they have a lot more going for them than Limerick has at the moment.

I have never had a problem with the seedier side of Limerick as they keep to themselves.
If only.

Nonsence & lies

I believe the people of Clare will accept the proposal if limerick takes back the absolute filth and scum that it's sent into small towns and villages throughout their county all paid for by the state (Regeneration ?). Which has now left areas with 100% rises in crime, thus proving integrating filth into civilised areas does not work, and has been labelled "state sponsored terroism" by those effected.

KingsIsland

I lived there myself for years. It is all bad
It isn't all bad.

That comparison with Detroit, that you made earlier, is lame and ill thought out as well.
Here is one comparison which proves how different they are. It could be the solution to some of Limericks challenges.
Detroit population of just under a million has a third level student population of about 60,000, just over 6%.
Limerick urban population is 90,000 of which the student population is comfortably over 20,000 approaching 25% of city population.
There is an obvious positive there, although I would agree that it's energy and potential hasn't been harnessed or utilised yet.

TonyBird, your quip about me been an estate agent was very funny. Keep 'em comin'

Last edited:

Clanrickard

If the Brosnan report is adopted limerick city will no longer exist.Is it possble that John Gormley will not grant the boundary extension that Limerick badly needs
Limerick doesn't need a boundary extension. It needs good government in the area it does control. If they can't mange that why give them more of the country to screw up.

Tipp_ex

Ginger McLaughlin has disgraced himself and the people of Limerick City once again.

Calling people from Clare and County Limerick "country bumpkins from the arsehole of the country" "we dont want them here" and this added to his previous comments of how County children should not be educated in Limerick City......

Maybe Dublin should stop employing Limerick people so Ginger?

As a county man living in Limerick City I now hope it all goes to ************************ for them and Brosnan is approved.

I am absolutely outraged at this from McLaughlin. Labour can f**k right off now!:mad:

Vega1447

Regeneration comes to Castletroy :-(

Saw an article recently in Limerick Leader (sorry no link) saying that "problem" families were to be moved from troubled estates to Gleanntann - a large private estate of apartments, townhouses and semi/detached houses off the School House Road in Monaleen/Castletroy.

I feel sorry for the families who will wake up to find their new neighbours are not what they are used to.

This is a crazy policy - the human equivalent of metastasis..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies