Save the 8th Campaign Deliberately Defaming Irish Citizens?

livingstone

So, Together for Yes has been crowdfunding recently, with nearly E500,000 raised from more than 12,000 donations over a few days.

But John McGuirk from Save the 8th challenged donations, claiming some to be illegal. The example he gave was by one woman that he claimed was Austrian living in Sweden, and therefore her donation was illegal. It turns out the woman is an Irish citizen and perfectly entitled to donate as she wishes, within the normal limits.

Possible, of course, that McGuirk was just mistaken; he saw a foreign sounding name and assumed she couldn't be an Irish citizen. But he's had nearly two days to rectify it, apologise and retract his claim. Two days in which he has been very active on Twitter and has had plenty opportunity to do so. His failure can suggest only that he is happy for this lie to be out there and that it is not a mistake.

So question now is why the Save the 8th campaign speak, on the one hand claim to abhor smears and attacks, while simultaneously defaming people by falsely claiming they are unlawfully donating to Together for Yes?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
For a PR man this fellow McGuirk has had a torrid time, being seen to waltz in public with 'Nurse Noel', (the Eddie the Eagle of the Medical Profession) and now setting off something of an assumptive hand-grenade in his own face with the unchecked assertion re our Austro-Irish compatriot.

Sometimes though things are as they first appear. What I mean by that is that Mr McGuirk appears to me to be something of a careless a55hole and I really wouldn't want him on any campaign I'd be involved in.

Having said that he has been a sterling asset to the 'Yes' side of this debate throughout and should probably be awarded a discount voucher for an abortion after the referendum.

livingstone

Funny that this thread has had so little engagement. After all the anti repeal side say they want a fair campaign right? No smears or lies?

You'd think they'd be very interested in the official no campaign deliberately targeting private citizens with lie and false accusations of illegality just because they had the temerity to make a small and legal donation to Together for Yes.

Their principles seem to have abandoned them though.

making waves

It is not just Irish citizens that McGuirk is defaming - two days ago McGuirk accused a British Citizen Jojo Moyes of making an illegal donation to #Together4Yes and accused #Together4Yes of accepting it.

Jojo Moyes had to respond to tell him that she offered to make a donation, she was told she couldn't, so she didn't.

Did McGuirk apologise for that one either? - did he like ****

ger12

:lol:

ger12

Btw, ye should check out the tweets from the other side in relation to a pro life meeting this week in Dublin.

Some Whoppers.

Jaysas, I didn't think the Twitter expose would put the wind up ye that much.

ger12

Funny that this thread has had so little engagement. After all the anti repeal side say they want a fair campaign right? No smears or lies?

You'd think they'd be very interested in the official no campaign deliberately targeting private citizens with lie and false accusations of illegality just because they had the temerity to make a small and legal donation to Together for Yes.

Their principles seem to have abandoned them though.
You know, the facts are important and you're right there is a lot of lies. It's important we see facts.

"FactCheck: Who got it right in this abortion debate between Ruth Coppinger and Cora Sherlock?"
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/abortion-down-syndrome-fatal-foetal-abnormality-cora-sherlock-ruth-coppinger-eighth-amendment-vincent-browne-2842048-Jun2016/?amp=1

"FactCheck: Who's right about Ireland's record on maternal deaths?"
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/maternal-deaths-mortality-rate-ireland-pro-life-campaign-statistics-2921139-Aug2016/?amp=1

"FactCheck: Who got it right on "abortion up to birth" - Cora Sherlock or Ivana Bacik?"
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/abortion-up-to-birth-law-around-the-world-2905518-Aug2016/?amp=1

making waves

Btw, ye should check out the tweets from the other side in relation to a pro life meeting this week in Dublin.

Some Whoppers.

Jaysas, I didn't think the Twitter expose would put the wind up ye that much.
There have been many inappropriate tweets on both sides of this issue -

But there is a difference in the case of McGuirk - he is a high profile spokesperson of the Save the 8th Campaign (which, whether you like it or not, is the most high profile campaign on the anti-repeal side) - and he is supposed to be some sort of PR guru.

McGuirk has been repeatedly caught, defaming people on Twitter, caught being engaged in duplicitous behaviour with Alex Lee at the International Women's Day March, caught promoting the like of fake nurse Noel and others and caught making a variety of false claims in material produced by Save the 8th.

livingstone

There have been many inappropriate tweets on both sides of this issue -

But there is a difference in the case of McGuirk - he is a high profile spokesperson of the Save the 8th Campaign (which, whether you like it or not, is the most high profile campaign on the anti-repeal side) - and he is supposed to be some sort of PR guru.

McGuirk has been repeatedly caught, defaming people on Twitter, caught being engaged in duplicitous behaviour with Alex Lee at the International Women's Day March, caught promoting the like of fake nurse Noel and others and caught making a variety of false claims in material produced by Save the 8th.
Exactly. The whole 'some randomer on Twitter said something awful' applies to some extent on both sides, but I don't think either side is responsible to the utterances of any randomer on Twitter.

On the other hand, McGuirk is the Communications Director for the official campaign. When he speaks, he speaks for the campaign. There is a big difference between randomers on the internet being abusive etc on twitter, and the official No campaign deliberately defaming Irish citizens.

ger12

Glad you find the situations so fun. As I said:
Their? There's a number of prolife organizations.

And a number of pro repeal organizations.

ger12

Another medic letter in the Irish Times today.

Should I start a thread on it? An awful lot coming out in recent days/weeks.

Sir, – I am concerned that recent statements are causing unnecessary fears for women. They suggest that obstetricians are curtailed in their ability to care for pregnant patients who are seriously ill.

Across the world only a tiny proportion of terminations of pregnancy are related to obstetrical care. Ireland’s law fully provides for the small number of cases relating to necessary obstetric interventions.

Where it arises, the duty to intervene to save the woman’s life is clear. Under the present law, we have full freedom and support for the requirements of ethical and safe practice. The threat to the woman’s life does not need to be imminent. We have the scope of practice needed to guarantee best international standards of care to women in pregnancy. Indeed, Ireland has an excellent record by any measure of performance, with very low numbers of women who tragically die in pregnancy. – Yours, etc,

Dr MARY HOLOHAN,

Consultant Obstetrician

and Gynaecologist,

Dublin 1.

livingstone

Their? There's a number of prolife organizations.

And a number of pro repeal organizations.
The 'their' I'm referring to is the posters on here who complain about lies and smears, but have NOTHING to say about the No campaign deliberately defaming Irish citizens and accusing them of illegality.

livingstone

Another medic letter in the Irish Times today.

Should I start a thread on it? An awful lot coming out in recent days/weeks.

Sir, – I am concerned that recent statements are causing unnecessary fears for women. They suggest that obstetricians are curtailed in their ability to care for pregnant patients who are seriously ill.

Across the world only a tiny proportion of terminations of pregnancy are related to obstetrical care. Ireland’s law fully provides for the small number of cases relating to necessary obstetric interventions.

Where it arises, the duty to intervene to save the woman’s life is clear. Under the present law, we have full freedom and support for the requirements of ethical and safe practice. The threat to the woman’s life does not need to be imminent. We have the scope of practice needed to guarantee best international standards of care to women in pregnancy. Indeed, Ireland has an excellent record by any measure of performance, with very low numbers of women who tragically die in pregnancy. – Yours, etc,

Dr MARY HOLOHAN,

Consultant Obstetrician

and Gynaecologist,

Dublin 1.
You're very welcome to start a thread - but this thread is about a deliberate approach of defaming Irish citizens who lawfully donate to the Yes campaign.

I know you desperately want to avoid discussing that, given that it shows how hollow pleas for respect and fairness are on your side of the debate.

ger12

You're very welcome to start a thread - but this thread is about a deliberate approach of defaming Irish citizens who lawfully donate to the Yes campaign.

I know you desperately want to avoid discussing that, given that it shows how hollow pleas for respect and fairness are on your side of the debate.
No. Fire ahead. I'll let ye too it.

livingstone

Of course you will, because you have nothing to say about the No campaign engaging in the smears and lies you claim to dislike.

The definition of hypocrisy.

'orebel

'to'

Aren't you the one who started a thread whinging about twitter?

Didn't you defend nurse Noel's credentials?

livingstone

'to'

Aren't you the one who started a thread whinging about twitter?

Didn't you defend nurse Noel's credentials?
Incidentally, turns out Save the 8th has form on this. McGuirk made the same false allegation against Jojo Moyes - except in this case, his allegation was that she made an illegal donation; in fact she offered a donation and was told by Together for Yes that it was not possible for them to accept as she was neither a citizen nor a resident.

But then I also discovered just now that McGuirk once set up a fake email address and sent an email to a number of members of a University Society accusing another member of sexual harassment. He was later found out as having made the whole thing up. Let that sink in - imagine that was emerging about someone like Colm O'Gorman and what the anti-repeal side on here would be saying.

'orebel

Incidentally, turns out Save the 8th has form on this. McGuirk made the same false allegation against Jojo Moyes - except in this case, his allegation was that she made an illegal donation; in fact she offered a donation and was told by Together for Yes that it was not possible for them to accept as she was neither a citizen nor a resident.

But then I also discovered just now that McGuirk once set up a fake email address and sent an email to a number of members of a University Society accusing another member of sexual harassment. He was later found out as having made the whole thing up. Let that sink in - imagine that was emerging about someone like Colm O'Gorman and what the anti-repeal side on here would be saying.
Yep. That's old news. The man is and always has been a complete toerag. Must dig up a link for you from yesterday. I'll post it when I find it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies