• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Save the Dublin accent!

RahenyFG

My fellow Dubliners our native accent is being lost. My own generation is the biggest culprit for this. The heavy influence of American TV shows is resulting in young Dubs having a mid Atlantic accent while in some cases some people just annoyingly put it on. Take KPMG girl for example or any of the voices you hear from young girls and guys going out on the town.

I think possibly the skanger Dublin accent has put off some Dubliners from having the traditional accent and forced them to put on fake American accents to differ from skangers. There was once a society who met in the 1800s in Mulligans called the Society For The Preservation Of The Dublin AccentDublin Pubs - Mulligans Poolbeg Street and how we could do with a group like that these days. The D4 affect is spreading and more and more Dubliners are saying 'loike' 'yeah' 'dort' and gord'. We need to stop it before tourists come here and can't tell the natives from their fellow tourists(could be already happening for all we know). So I say to you my fellow Dubliners save our accent for your county!

Which Dublin accent? There are many.

wombat

So I say to you my fellow Dubliners save our accent for your county!
Some of us couldn't lose our accents if we tried:lol:

wombat

Which Dublin accent? There are many.
Not really, there are slight variations between districts but the accent is the same until you hit parts of south county.

Just the general Dublin accent not the mid Atlantic accent that is taking over.
Specifics?

There are several. You're telling me what it isn't, but not telling me what it is.

wombat

Specifics?

There are several. You're telling me what it isn't, but not telling me what it is.
Generally, English as spoken by natives between the canals

Not really, there are slight variations between districts but the accent is the same until you hit parts of south county.
You think that there's no difference at all between Balrothery and Ballyfermot?

No difference between Pimlico and Rialto?

None between Tallaght and Deansgrange?

Drive from Tallaght to Walkinstown roundabout and you'll encounter 5 accents should you choose to stop and speak to locals.

I haven't even touched on the differences between Finglas and Ballymun.

Analyzer

My fellow Dubliners our native accent is being lost. My own generation is the biggest culprit for this. The heavy influence of American TV shows is resulting in young Dubs having a mid Atlantic accent while in some cases some people just annoyingly put it on. Take KPMG girl for example or any of the voices you hear from young girls and guys going out on the town.

I think possibly the skanger Dublin accent has put off some Dubliners from having the traditional accent and forced them to put on fake American accents to differ from skangers. There was once a society who met in the 1800s in Mulligans called the Society For The Preservation Of The Dublin AccentDublin Pubs - Mulligans Poolbeg Street and how we could do with a group like that these days. The D4 affect is spreading and more and more Dubliners are saying 'loike' 'yeah' 'dort' and gord'. We need to stop it before tourists come here and can't tell the natives from their fellow tourists(could be already happening for all we know). So I say to you my fellow Dubliners save our accent for your county!
Whah ?

ruserious

Ah d'Jaysus lads, the Dublin accent is awful.

The Cork accent is known to swoon many a fine lass.

eoghanacht

The skanger accent is the Dublin accent.

wombat

You think that there's no difference at all between Balrothery and Ballyfermot?

No difference between Pimlico and Rialto?

None between Tallaght and Deansgrange?

Drive from Tallaght to Walkinstown roundabout and you'll encounter 5 accents should you choose to stop and speak to locals.

I haven't even touched on the differences between Finglas and Ballymun.
There are variations but you have to work to recognise them. On the other hand, there is a video shop at Glenageary roundabout where you can here a marked difference between the Killiney/Glenageary south county accent and the Sallynoggin (more like a city accent)

Sister Mercedes

If losing the Dublin accent means losing the F word and the S word as every second word in a sentence (usually together), then I would welcome it.

wombat

If losing the Dublin accent means losing the F word and the S word as every second word in a sentence, then I would welcome it.
The only way that will happen is if the entire nation starts speaking Irish again:lol:

There are variations but you have to work to recognise them. On the other hand, there is a video shop at Glenageary roundabout where you can here a marked difference between the Killiney/Glenageary south county accent and the Sallynoggin (more like a city accent)
I lived near Lusk for a while. There, your life depended on distinguishing between a Naul or a Ballyboughall or a Kenure accent. OK, I exaggerate, but not by a huge amount. There were clear differences between the local dialects.

This "in between the canals" stuff ignores a huge amount of Dubs.