• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Dame_Enda

Protests have been underway against the planned demolition of 1916 rebel The O'Rahilly's house in Herbert Street, Dublin. Dublin city council approved the demolition.

Should Eamon Ryan or Daragh O'Brien intervene to stop it?

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Well by the state of it it looks fairly banjaxed. If it was anything other than knackered by the look of it I might have some sympathy but I doubt the O'Rahilly will be turning in his grave or anything.

Time moves on. The O'Rahilly's legacy is known and has nothing to do with where he kept his bicycle at night when you think of it. It looks like an eyesore to be honest and you can see why it is marked down as development land.

Is it any kind of Republican shrine? Why would it be?

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Who's to say The O'Rahilly wouldn't be delighted by the fact that it is an Irish Government department rather than anything else that is proposing to stick an apartment building on top of his oul' digs.

I mean, the point was that he gave his life so public policy decisions could be made by Irish people in Ireland. You may expect a good haunting, however, should the contractors be from Stoke-On-Trent.

shutuplaura

Is it reasonable to want to save every building associated with the 1916 leadership? I am not sure it is. I normally favour conservation but in this case I am not feeling a pressing need. St Endas was Pearses life work basically. This place was not O'Rahillys.

Hillmanhunter1

Protests have been underway against the planned demolition of 1916 rebel The O'Rahilly's house in Herbert Street, Dublin. Dublin city council approved the demolition.

Should Eamon Ryan or Daragh O'Brien intervene to stop it?
No need to save it - we can't save everything, otherwise nothing would get done.

I have suspicions that some if the campaigns against regeneration have more to do with opposition to development than any great love for the buildings that are to be replaced.

Catapulta

It's more it's replacement that worries me

- another concrete carbuncle in the middle of a residential & recreational area.:(

McTell

Where are his descendants / family? If they're not buying it to save it, why should the rest of us get involved?

This looks more like a Nimby objection, where every historical trick will be pulled out of the hat. Sure wasn't Daniel O'Connell's favourite dog buried in the front garden?

raetsel

Where are his descendants / family? If they're not buying it to save it, why should the rest of us get involved?

This looks more like a Nimby objection, where every historical trick will be pulled out of the hat. Sure wasn't Daniel O'Connell's favourite dog buried in the front garden?
I've no idea how well off his descendants are nowadays but certainly they were well to do in the past.
His grandson Ronan died in April.
Ronan was a very remarkable figure in his own right. He became involved in the London music scene in the 1960s and ran a night club in Soho which featured acts like the Stones and Chris Farlowe, and managed Georgie Fame and Alexis Corner. He created the UK pirate radio industry when he founded Radio Caroline in 1964 which had been refitted for the purpose at his family owned port in Greenore co. Louth. Apart from wiping the floor with Radio Luxembourg, it also forced the Wilson government to order a fundamental restructuring of the BBC which until then had failed to provide for the tastes of the relatively recent dichotomy of youth music i.e. rock and roll.
His most notorious mistake was in advising George Lazenby not to sign a multi-film contract to play James Bond.
After the 1960s his star dimmed, and he disappeared from the limelight, but he seems to have done more in a decade than most of us can achieve in a lifetime.

McTell

I've no idea how well off his descendants are nowadays but certainly they were well to do in the past.
His grandson Ronan died in April.

///

So was ronan "the o'rahilly" as well?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom