SBP: Fine Gael and Labour may support budget in exchange for early election

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
A small piece alongside another piece in the SBP (on plans for an early election) which reports that Fine Gael and Labour are planning to support the budget in exchange for an early election. A source for one of the parties told Pat Leahy that it was a possibility that was being discussed.

Fine Gael and Labour are also conscious that an immediate general election would make a return to the bond markets in January impossible, as a new government would would first have to agree and then pass another budget
Fine Gael and Labour will discuss the possibility of allowing the budget to pass in return for a guarantee of an early election.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
A small piece alongside another piece in the SBP (on plans for an early election) which reports that Fine Gael and Labour are planning to support the budget in exchange for an early election. A source for one of the parties told Pat Leahy that it was a possibility that was being discussed.

Are they really that stupid... wait, one of the parties ? Yup, FG probably are

dalywise

...and let FF go to the country claiming that they're all the same? Stupid FG and Labour if they agree to that. FG just might because they're on a semi-Tallaght Strategy roll again. But Labour will have more sense.

Outlander

The only thing that /the government have guaranteed is the banks - and look where that got us...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17573

They have to - can´t be seen to bar our re-entry to the bond markets by holding up a budget which they would then subsequently have to re-introduce themselves, albeit with maybe a few cosmetic changes.

super pedestrian

They'd be absolute fools it they take FF's word that they'd hold an early election in return for support for the budget.
FF live for power and would never give it up without a fight. They deserve to be dragged kicking and screaming out of power with no dignity whatsoever.

bprob

sensible move.
FF people think the electorate are mad at FF for making cuts, but that is a completely wrong analysis. the electorate mad because the mistakes of FF mean cuts are unavoidable

people know in reality any new government will have to implement cuts.

FG/Labour voting for the budget means that FF can't accuse them of being weak or pandering by not making tough choices

we have a miniscule chance of avoiding EU/IMF control at this stage, but that would certainly vanish if a budget isn't passed.
i would put up with them voting through this budget if it brought around the removal of FF from government sooner.

besides, FG/Labour can introduce another budget if they want a few months into government

wombat

If they are even considering this, things must be much worse than we think. Personally, I think its scarey.

grassroots

This is likely to be the outcome. Carey alluded to this today. The question is will Cowen lead FF into a January campaign? Will Lenihan stand?

I think FG might go for it and LAbour might not.

Goldencircle

Idiots if they take them up on it.

This shower of sh!tes deserve to fall,hard. Not form a nice orderly que out the door when its suits them.

LDF

This is a nonsense story which simply doesn't stack up. There will be two further by-elections early next year which will bring down FF. They really don't have the "early election" card to play.

Even if FF had a comfortable majority why would Labour agree to this proposal simply to be outflanked by SF?

Why would FG shred their own budgetary proposals and sit mute while FF imposes higher taxes and social welfare cuts while the public sector hide behind the Croke Park deal and run the risk that Lab would not sign up to this?

This isn't going to happen.

oddsox

If they are even considering this, things must be much worse than we think. Personally, I think its scarey.
Markets and EU are looking for a 4 year plan,,,,,new gov part of plan,,, FG part of EPP EU's biggest grouping!

oggy

Nothing in it for FF but if there is any risk whatsoever that the Budget doesnt pass through the Dail I would fully support not just FG but also Labour passing the it through in the national interest. Obviously Labour cannot do it alone and FG would be destroyed if they went alone. The situation is incredibly volatile but this Budget is incredibly important for the future of the country. If it means FF handing in 3 months notice I am all for it

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Wow.
Trying to get my head around this one.
I'd say most, if not everyone above who has jumped in with a soundbite has not thought this one through.

I'm going to sleep on it. More tomorrow.

wombat

I'd say most, if not everyone above who has jumped in with a soundbite has not thought this one through.
About a month ago, Eugene Reagan was asked on Newstalk what he thought of IMF intervention - he refused to talk about the IMF. Now Eugene never passes up a chance to put a boot into FF, so I thought that was scarey. We hear that FG & Labour are thinking of supporting the budget, that's scarier. What are they not telling us?

There is a logic in this which says that in event of Election FG / Lab can claim they are absolved of cuts because they voted in national interest because otherwise uncertainty about whether Govt would last could undermine bond markets.

In effect FF giving a new Govt a pass to avoid an auction of cuts.

Additionally it would uncut some of the Indeps / SF / PBP where clear statement from 3 parties would be cuts would not be undone.

Unusual situation but what people forget is majority of Politicians are pragmatic despite the crap idiots on here write.

liamfoley

How early is "early"? I mean if the maximum life expectancy of this Dáil is Summer 2012 early means anytime before that. Would it mean another budget?

oggy

There is a logic in this which says that in event of Election FG / Lab can claim they are absolved of cuts because they voted in national interest because otherwise uncertainty about whether Govt would last could undermine bond markets.

In effect FF giving a new Govt a pass to avoid an auction of cuts.

Additionally it would uncut some of the Indeps / SF / PBP where clear statement from 3 parties would be cuts would not be undone.

Unusual situation but what people forget is majority of Politicians are pragmatic despite the crap idiots on here write.
I go along with that post all the way and the reason is:

Jack Lynch brought in an economist in 1977 and that government foolishly attempted to sort out growing unemployment problem by "pump priming " the economy. Haughey despite being an Accountant despised Economists and Accountants and knew that the problem of inflation was the No 1 priority. He went on tv and made his famous or infamous broadcast after he had shafted Lynch. He needed a full term to implement his defalion plans but the political figuires were against him. He was dumped out of government and the new coalition went full blast to deflate. In the years 1982 to 1987 not once was the word deflation mentioned by ANY of the parties. FF and Haughey knew full what was going on and cooperated 100%. They tore the coalition apart on everything but boy did they keep quiet on the real job going on. I enjoy kicking FG and Labour on the unemployment and national debt we ended up with in 1987 but the main job was done, inflation was crushed though in a brutal manner. Payback time came a lot sooner than expected when the Tallaght Stategy saved the country.
We are now in a similar position and yes the word "pragmatism" comes to mind and I believe if necessary our politicians will use it

New Threads

Most Replies