• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

SBP poll: The Irish people's opposition to 'abortion on demand' remains firm

Skyrocket

In the wake of the controversy and public uproar over the death of Savita Halappanavar, which pro-choice groups have erroneously used as a rallying cry to liberalise Ireland's abortion laws, the latest SBP poll reveals that a clear majority of the Irish people are still opposed to any changes in the law that would introduce 'abortion on demand in Ireland'. The figures:

36% support "A constitutional amendment to allow for legal abortion in any case where a woman requests it" - in other words, 'abortion on demand'.

63% would support "A constitutional amendment to limit the X case, by excluding a threat of suicide as a grounds for abortion, but still allowing abortion, where the mother's life is threatened outside of suicide."

The latter appears to be contradicted by the figure of 85% wanting legislation for X including suicide, however it can be explained by the order of the poll questions - if this question was first, people may have assumed it would be the only question on X case legislation and would reluctanly choose yes even though they did not like suicide as an option but gave a greater weight to the mother's life being at risk full stop. However, had people been given a menu of options about X case legislation, the poll would not appear to be contradictory and support for legislating excluding suicide may actually have been slightly higher than 63%.

82% would support "A constitutional amendment to extend the right to abortion to all cases where the health of the mother is seriously threatened and also in cases of rape."

The Sunday Business Post

In summary, people are firmly opposed to 'abortion on demand' but appear conflicted when the issues of suicide and rape are introduced.

Con Gallagher

Surely this is a mandate for a referendum?
82% would support "A constitutional amendment to extend the right to abortion to all cases where the health of the mother is seriously threatened and also in cases of rape."

Kevin Doyle

36% agree to abortion on demand?

Jesus, even I wouldn't have put the figure that high.

Radix

I'm not surprised, the Irish have always been fabled as the people of the 'Ceád Míle Failte, so it would be inconsistent of us not to welcome our own children!

ShoutingIsLeadership

36% agree to abortion on demand?

Jesus, even I wouldn't have put the figure that high.
Quite.

The constant refrain over the past 2 weeks has been that 'nobody wants abortion on demand' (whatever that is).

36% is very large.

Dame_Enda

The poll indicates a hardening of pro-life opinion in the country since the 1992 and 2002 referendums. 63% now support legislation allowing abortion to save the mother's life excluding suicide. Just 36% back abortion on demand. Typical of the Dublin 4 media bubble to twist the findings the way the headline does. Thank God we have Marc Coleman to sift through the Left-Liberal waffle to uncover the nuggets of truth.

And So I Said

The poll indicates a hardening of pro-life opinion in the country since the 1992 and 2002 referendums. 63% now support legislation allowing abortion to save the mother's life excluding suicide. Just 36% back abortion on demand. Typical of the Dublin 4 media bubble to twist the findings the way the headline does. Thank God we have Marc Coleman to sift through the Left-Liberal waffle to uncover the nuggets of truth.
+1

statsman

This poll marks a sea change, though many will try to deny it.

I now expect to see abortion 'on demand' within the first 16 weeks in my lifetime. Not next year, not in the next decade, but it's coming. And guess what, it won't be the end of civilisation as we know it.

Last edited:

borntorum

The findings of this poll are completely contradictory, I don't think much can be taken from it with any real certainty

TommyO'Brien

36% favour abortion on demand? Jesus. I thought it would have been less than half that tops.

Mitsui2

I now expect to see abortion 'on demand' within the first 16 weeks in my lifetime.
Ireland may not yet have 'abortion on demand' but we certainly have 'abortion on request' - it's just that you have to use special code-phrases in the request: "Return flight to London, please" is one popular variation, I believe.

Al Gebra

Unbelievable spin.
More people favour including suicide as grounds than don't.

Skyrocket

This poll marks a sea change, though many will try to deny it.

I now expect to see abortion 'on demand' within the first 16 weeks in my lifetime. Not next year, not in the next decade, but it's coming. And guess what, it won;t be the end of civilisation as we know it.
That figure was 73% in a 2007 in a TNS/MRBI poll.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies