Schengen travel arrangements

There appear to be new checks in place for travelers from Schengen to non-Schengen destinations:

EU border checks leave UK tourists queuing for four hours | Daily Mail Online

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/01/passengers-facing-four-hour-security-queues-at-some-european-airports

The new rules would seem to apply to travelers traveling to Irish destinations.

My questions are two:

1) Have any people encountered any extended delays while traveling of late to Ireland?

2) Should Ireland negotiate some form of annex to the Schengen Agreement?

I know that this time of year is sort of peak travel, so queues will be longer. I'm also aware of some commentary to the effect that this is to punish the British. If so, we're possibly being caught in the crossfire.

Does anyone have any recent experiences to share?

Deadlock

There appear to be new checks in place for travelers from Schengen to non-Schengen destinations:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/01/passengers-facing-four-hour-security-queues-at-some-european-airports

My questions are two:

1) Have any people encountered any extended delays while traveling of late to Ireland?

I know that this time of year is sort of peak travel, so queues will be longer. I'm also aware of some commentary to the effect that this is to punish the British. If so, we're possibly being caught in the crossfire.

I had awful delays on late night Dublin bound flights from London recently, but it seemed plainly due to a simple lack of staff at Passport control in Dublin Airport. I couldn't see evidence of any additional security precautions - flights arriving from both Schengen and non-Schengen destinations were affected.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

My questions are two:

It looks more like the usual incompetence on the part of many of these European countries.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I had awful delays on late night Dublin bound flights from London recently, but it seemed plainly due to a simple lack of staff at Passport control in Dublin Airport. I couldn't see evidence of any additional security precautions - flights arriving from both Schengen and non-Schengen destinations were affected.
I had to fly into Dublin recently and passport control was a joke. As you say it was simply a matter of not enough staff at the booths - 10 booths and 4 staff working, with 1 of them seeming to be a new recruit who had a manager hovering over him. The manager should have sat his arse down and helped clear the queues.

Is this just a case of more stringent passport requirements, and these countries not being willing to add to their costs to deal with the potential additional time delays?

Deadlock

I had to fly into Dublin recently and passport control was a joke. As you say it was simply a metter of not enough staff at the booths - 10 booths and 4 staff working, with 1 of them seeming to be a new recruit who had a manager hovering over him. The manager should have sat his arse down and helped clear the queues.
I completely agree. In my most recent case six booths were open. Three booths dealing with perhaps 40-50 non EU arrivals, the other three dealing with several hundreds of EU arrivals. Ridiculous situation and I'd argue potentially unsafe too.

amsterdemmetje

Same as that went to pick the wife and kids up last Sunday at DE took ages to get through Customs all down to just lack of staff or interest even. On the other side in Dusseldorf over and back there were no delays.

ruserious

Passport control queues are not segregated by Schengen and Non Schengen but rather by nationality; EU and Non EU.

Deadlock

Passport control queues are not segregated by Schengen and Non Schengen but rather by nationality; EU and Non EU.
Yes, I know.

My point was my Irish passport was subject to the same cursory glance and computer scan as the ID card of the French lady in the queue ahead of me. I had arrived from nonSchengen London, she from Schengen Paris.

Depends were you travel from. I've seen Schengen and "All other passports" border control in place. In fact, I use it every day when travelling from Brussels to France. The new rules appear to be slightly more restrictive than the old ones.

The point is that Schengen/Non-Schengen delineations mean little when departing Ireland. However, both on arrival at a Schengen destination and on departure from there to non-Schengen countries there now appears to be a more stringent standard.

ruserious

Yes, I know.

My point was my Irish passport was subject to the same cursory glance and computer scan as the ID card of the French lady in the queue ahead of me. I had arrived from nonSchengen London, she from Schengen Paris.
There was some article on this recently. They are scanning all documents against an Interpol database that returns hits for lost and stolen passports.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

My questions are two:

The ROI couldn't do that without doing away with the CTA.

It looks like the ROI is going to have to decide one way or the other as we approach the implementation of Brexit:
1. Go the whole hog and have a hard border with the UK, so that the ROI could join Schengen. But then the ROI would have to give up the CTA.
2. Keep the CTA but deal with the implications of that - ie not being able to join Schengen.

The ROI does like to have everything its own way, but an end is coming to that, and the ROI will have to make choices.

It looks like the ROI is going to have to decide one way or the other as we approach the implementation of Brexit:
1. Go the whole hog and have a hard border with the UK, so that the ROI could join Schengen. But then the ROI would have to give up the CTA.
2. Keep the CTA but deal with the implications of that - ie not being able to join Schengen.

The ROI does like to have everything its own way, but an end is coming to that, and the ROI will have to make choices.
That's why I'm describing a form of derogation. It looks as if joining Schengen would harden the border.

Believe me, though, that if regular business travelers begin to feel pain from this pressures will be brought to bear.

He didn't say that they were.

Read what he actually said.
Read what I said. I travel frequently within Europe and some departure points already have separate Schengen check-ins/security.

Deadlock

I think it may keep things it's own way yet ;-).

A hard border is at this juncture inevitable. The CTA will probably die with that.
Ireland has a Treaty enshrined opt-out of Schengen. There is no pressure to join Schengen. If there was - it ought to resisted until well after Brexit's consequences are known and quantified, and revisit the issue then.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Yes, I know.

It is claimed that the additional checks apply only when flights cross the external borders of the Schengen area.

https://emnbelgium.be/news/new-regulation-reinforces-checks-external-borders

So are these new checks being done in Dublin?

Note that it doesn't matter where the person is from - it applies to all persons who cross the Schengen external border.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I think it may keep things it's own way yet ;-).

A hard border is at this juncture inevitable. The CTA will probably die with that.
Ireland has a Treaty enshrined opt-out of Schengen. There is no pressure to join Schengen. If there was - it ought to resisted until well after Brexit's consequences are known and quantified, and revisit the issue then.
True.

The ROI should keep its powder dry and not do anything on a proactive basis in case they end up making the wrong decision in some area.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies