School Meals

lilesosanne

Website
jobpathmyexperienceoftheemploymentandskillsprogram.wordpress.com
Twitter
@lilesosanne
School meals are an ongoing point of discussion with children, parents, school cooks, politicians, nutritionists and celebrity chefs.

Meals be it breakfast, lunch or dinner must now be 'Junk free' an interesting definition of this term by the powers that be is high fat, salt and sugar foods, all of which will no longer be paid for under the school meals program.

School meals must be junk-free zones under new rules - Independent.ie

"Schools get 60c per child for a breakfast of cereal, toast, scone fruit, yogurt or milk. Two items must be provided.

The allocation for lunch is €1.40 and this can include a filled sandwich, or soup and roll, or salad plus milk, fruit and a yogurt.

Dinner allowance is €1.90 per child a day and this can include meat, potatoes and vegetables, chicken curry or spaghetti bolognese. Children must also be offered milk or water with their meal"

To me, and I may be prejudice on two accounts, my granny was the cook at my primary school and being a vegan the whole milk thing makes me vomit a bit however, each to their own. But this makes sad reading surely a child who is need of breakfast club should have a good feed to start the day - most cereals been high in sugar and not much else unless it is added as a chemical afterthought. Toast, from the cotton wool and elastic type of bread that the fills our shop shelves is hardly healthy or filling. It all sounds cold and limited nutritionally, to me.

Lunch - as a growing teenager I would have starved to death on this, sandwich or soup and roll or salad. Who is that going to feed, not a teenager I know.

Dinner - not sure where this comes in to the school day maybe someone can help me out? Meat and two veg - yep kids like that NOT, with chicken curry or spag bol. Well I was a veggie from the age of 10 so there's me with no dinner. None sounds appetizing or interesting but at least it is hot, is there a desert?

What is to be done about school meals and who loved them and who hated them.

Fritzbox

School meals are an ongoing point of discussion with children, parents, school cooks, politicians, nutritionists and celebrity chefs.

Meals be it breakfast, lunch or dinner must now be 'Junk free' an interesting definition of this term by the powers that be is high fat, salt and sugar foods, all of which will no longer be paid for under the school meals program.

"Schools get 60c per child for a breakfast of cereal, toast, scone fruit, yogurt or milk. Two items must be provided.

The allocation for lunch is €1.40 and this can include a filled sandwich, or soup and roll, or salad plus milk, fruit and a yogurt.

Dinner allowance is €1.90 per child a day and this can include meat, potatoes and vegetables, chicken curry or spaghetti bolognese. Children must also be offered milk or water with their meal"

To me, and I may be prejudice on two accounts, my granny was the cook at my primary school and being a vegan the whole milk thing makes me vomit a bit however, each to their own. But this makes sad reading surely a child who is need of breakfast club should have a good feed to start the day - most cereals been high in sugar and not much else unless it is added as a chemical afterthought. Toast, from the cotton wool and elastic type of bread that the fills our shop shelves is hardly healthy or filling. It all sounds cold and limited nutritionally, to me.

Lunch - as a growing teenager I would have starved to death on this, sandwich or soup and roll or salad. Who is that going to feed, not a teenager I know.

Dinner - not sure where this comes in to the school day maybe someone can help me out? Meat and two veg - yep kids like that NOT, with chicken curry or spag bol. Well I was a veggie from the age of 10 so there's me with no dinner. None sounds appetizing or interesting but at least it is hot, is there a desert?

Do many schools in Ireland provide proper school meals? When I went to school in the 1980s you got chips and sausages.

GDPR

Awful, they will starve.

And what calories they get sound nutritionally sub-standard.

You could feed kids a wonderful veggie curry for lunch, with masses of second helpings, for less than the cost of that bloody breakfast cereal which will cause them to have a huge sugar crash mid-morning.

Porridge, with jam and dried fruit for breakfast, cheaper and more wholesome.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
Do many schools in Ireland provide proper school meals? When I went to school in the 1980s you got chips and sausages.
While I never went to school in Ireland, my son did; he came home and the first thing he did was open the fridge and then ask what was for tea (Yorkshire word for dinner). In senior school it was sandwiches only or money for the takeaway.

eoghanacht

While I never went to school in Ireland, my son did; he came home and the first thing he did was open the fridge and then ask what was for tea (Yorkshire word for dinner). In senior school it was sandwiches only or money for the takeaway.
FWIW , Tea over here would mean your supper, not just a cuppa.

Accidental sock

All we got was a carton of milk.

ruserious

Less than €4 a day for food. Sounds good to me.

Accidental sock

A free carton of milk was only provided during "little break". "Big break" was every man for himself.

I was fortunate enough to live close enough to my school to go home for lunch.

It was a magical time of culinary discovery.

-Mashed egg in a cup.

-Findus crispy pancakes (turns out the vital ingredient is nostalgia....you can never go back)

-Microwaveable pizzas (dough, cheeze, and some orangey tomato like stuff)

-Fish fingers

I turned out fine.

Apart from the scurvy.

JimmyFoley

My parents fed me.

Mad, I know.

ger12

brughahaha

We got soup ..from powder ...more e numbers than ingredients ......

Have to say I find the whole state health promotions thing to be jobs for the boys and girls boll0x ....if they want to promote nutrition , have cookery lessons in furnished kitchens in school not an ad campaign :roll:

The Irish curse of being seen to be doing something while knowing , you're not really

JimmyFoley

Were they both working outside the home?
At different times my Mam was at home.

Breakfast-porridge with All Bran.

Lunch- sandwich and an apple.

Dinner- whatever. Maybe a biscuit after.

Hardly beyond the capability of any parent to provide such a diet.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
FWIW , Tea over here would mean your supper, not just a cuppa.
We'd get supper after tea, there was a lot of feeding to us back then. These young ones don't seem able to take the grub like we did.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
My parents fed me.

Mad, I know.
I don't know of any kid in my primary school who went home for lunch we all paid our £0.06p or sixpence a week and got 5 squares a week. Senior school was 26 miles away and no public transport so it was a case of take it or leave it, we all took it, and seconds.

JimmyFoley

I don't know of any kid in my primary school who went home for lunch we all paid our £0.06p or sixpence a week and got 5 squares a week. Senior school was 26 miles away and no public transport so it was a case of take it or leave it, we all took it, and seconds.
You travelled 26 miles to school every day?

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
We got soup ..from powder ...more e numbers than ingredients ......

Have to say I find the whole state health promotions thing to be jobs for the boys and girls boll0x ....if they want to promote nutrition , have cookery lessons in furnished kitchens in school not an ad campaign :roll:

The Irish curse of being seen to be doing something while knowing , you're not really
Did you see the "new" food pyramid, its swaps carbs and veggies around. Seriously, just standing here you can see the weight dropping off folk. Home economics we learned nutrition, to cook, clean and personal hygiene - or at least those whose parents couldn't be bothered to show them learned. By then I was a latch door kid and could put up a Sunday dinner for 4 and the local scavengers would be at the door looking for a feed after school.

Bertie's Hat

Seriously, what parent can't afford or doesn't have time to feed their child breakfast, even a bowl of cereal or a slice of toast?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Gin Soaked

We always had a decent breakfast and , at secondary, I used to go home, do poached eggs or beans on toast or grilled cheese. Mum worked, so we did our own thing. In the evening, there was stew (made the night before and thrown into the oven before we went back to school . Or cottage pie. Or some other thing in a pot.

Lots of decent food. Never pigged out and no junk.

We are wealthier now and our own kids are being weaned off frozen rubbish as they get older.

But there is a whole cohort of parents who can't cook and are very bad at the whole food thing.

Breakfast clubs are a good thing and the more intervention at school, the better. We are where we are with a lot of parents and kids out there.

Think I need to "channel" my mother's skills a bit more. And start making stew. And getting my kids to eat it. I was not a fussy eater. But my sister was a nightmare with food. So it is not always the parent's fault when good food is rejected.

fergal1790

The milkman at our school left the milk at around dawn and usually left a few days milk up against the gable wall beside the door of the national school where the hot morning sun used to sour it by about 8:30am.

New Threads

Most Replies