School Reunions

gerhard dengler

Does your school/former school mates organise school reunions?
If so do you attend them? Or do you choose not to attend?

The school that I attended have a past pupils union and every year it organises a school reunion. It is usually confined to the year in which you and the rest of your year did the Leaving Certificate.

When the first few reunions were organised I attended them, but these reunions turned in to former classmates trying to sell you something such as life insurance, or looking for business. I stopped attending them for the past past of a decade.
But recently I attended a reunion and it was great craic altogether. Fellas lives had moved on a lot since the last reunion I attended.

So do you attend your school reunion? What are your views on them?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Attended one. Ended up in the sack with an old girfriend. Didn't recognise some guy who kept outlining what a great time we had at school and telling anecdotes about events I have no memory of.

Wouldn't do it again.

Never go back. Never even look back. The memories are warmer than the current reality.

razorblade

No and even if it did I wouldn't go anyway that part of my life is behind me and I wish to leave it there.

Glenshane4

The school that I attended have a past pupils union and every year it organises a school reunion. It is usually confined to the year in which you and the rest of your year did the Leaving Certificate.

When the first few reunions were organised I attended them, but these reunions turned in to former classmates trying to sell you something such as life insurance, or looking for business. I stopped attending them for the past past of a decade.
But recently I attended a reunion and it was great craic altogether. Fellas lives had moved on a lot since the last reunion I attended.

No. I never did. My schooldays were extremely unpleasant. The main culprit, a priest, died earlier this week. It will be a great pity if hell does not exist.

gerhard dengler

No. I never did. My schooldays were extremely unpleasant. The main culprit, a priest, died earlier this week. It will be a great pity if hell does not exist.
If your school days are very pleasant, I can understand why you'd take a raincheck.

I was fortunate because school was really a great time.

However I notice since I started attending these reunions again, the number of blokes from my school year who've died. Out of our year of 120 pupils, apparently 32 fellas have died since.

nationalsday

If your school days are very pleasant, I can understand why you'd take a raincheck.

However I notice since I started attending these reunions again, the number of blokes from my school year who've died. Out of our year of 120 pupils, apparently 32 fellas have died since.
32 out of 120 - farking 'ell.. What kind of age group, if you don't mind me asking?

Betson

Never went to a school reunion but had a reunion when of sorts a couple of years ago when a chap I was good friends with at school died , met a lot of lads at the funeral that I was very pally with but had not met in many many years.

It was good catching up with them and interesting to see how different peoples lives turned out etc , lads who were messers and lazy at school now running successful companies etc , it is amazing the amount of things you forget in your life and then a few stories jolts all the memories back.

nationalsday

I was in a country boarding school and in the final two years there was a schism between the two separate dormitories in which the year was divided and which turned very violent. That rancour still persists over thirty years later and as a result only six or seven ever show up at reunions.

Apparently, also, a vicious fight broke out in a pub in London ten years ago when two small parties from each of the two factions coincidentally ended up in the same place

Cruimh

Flights from Brazil are not cheap ....

Round tower

Never had a reunion, it has being talked about many times over the years, i would love if there was one, some i have not met for along time, out 40 their is 2 dead, RIP

between the bridges

Went wance twas just like auld times moi got a report card and detention...

publicrealm

Went to one in September - the 45th. Not a school reunion, but similar.

It was the best so far (there have been 6 or 7) because we have all moved beyond our various insecurities/dickwaving and are more open and relaxed.

There are still 32 out of the original 33.

Have never been to a school reunion and would have zero interest in one.

Ireniall

He was probably a frustrated transgender-a Prod born into a priests body!:)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That's what happens when innocent catholics are made sit on Calvinist school-chairs.

Gin Soaked

How many years are you out?

I think around 6 of my class have died over the 25+ years out of around 130. I went to a few reunions. The decent guys are still decent, most of the tosser are still tosser. Less than 30 showed up last time.

Will sit out the next one...

gerhard dengler

32 out of 120 - farking 'ell.. What kind of age group, if you don't mind me asking?
The last one that I attended the age range was between 47-49. Quite a few fellas had died from terminal illnesses. Others had passed away through traffic accidents/industrial accidents. Others had died by suicide.

nationalsday

The last one that I attended the age range was between 47-49. Quite a few fellas had died from terminal illnesses. Others had passed away through traffic accidents/industrial accidents. Others had died by suicide.
That is a shocking percentage for that age group. The conditions in this country owing to bad government in the past few decades really took their toll on males who left school in the eighties and nineties in the form of cancer and suicide. The whole thing is conveniently kept quiet. I wonder if there is equivalence for similar women's age grouping - I doubt it, though.

The Financial Times weekend section had a very good article today about the effects which decades of recession has had upon the mental and physical health of the general population in the town of Blackpool in England. The town doctors mentioned in the article describe the condition as "Sh/t Life Syndrome". We had plenty of that here too.

I was in boarding school in the eighties and in my final year a two/three year old festering schism (mainly over bullying) erupted violently between the two dormitories into which the year had been split into throughout our school years. That lasted for thirty years after we left and hence hardly anybody ever turns up to reunions. I went to one general school reunion a few years ago and there was only about six people from my year at it - and they were the type of nerds who nobody ever noticed during school years. I had asked some of my own school friends to go and they all refused - still feeling bitter about the final years at the school and not wanting to ever see anyone from the other dorm again. Apparently fifteen years ago two small separate groups of the factions who were separately meeting each other coincidentally bumped into each other in the same pub in London and a violent fight erupted - exactly as if they were still in school. Daft but true..

New Threads

Most Replies