• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

School timetable designed for 19th century agricultural economy,Gove urges move to Asian model of longer school days & years

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
School timetable designed for 19th century agricultural economy,Gove urges move to Asian model of longer school days & years

In Asia school days of 8am -6pm are not uncommon, also Summer holidays are much shorter, Michael Gove the UK Education Secretary thinks the UK should move that way, Ireland ?

Michael Gove proposes longer school day and shorter holidays | Politics | guardian.co.uk
British schools will soon need to change from a timetable designed for a 19th century agricultural economy to a more family friendly, flexible schedule, Michael Gove, the secretary of state for education, has told a conference.

Pupils are handicapped in comparison with their peers in other countries
I also think it's going to be family friendly," Gove said....

In his speech, Gove held out the example of successful education systems in east Asia that demanded higher standards of their students.

cYp

henryhill

Interesting idea.

But there is something to be said for the idea of letting kids enjoy their childhood. 10 hour days with very limited time off would severely restrict that.

Samell

Less time on the computer shooting people and stealing cars though.

D

Dylan2010

my eldest has more than 10 hours per week of outside school activities. 9-6 would kill all that so while it can be an option I wouldnt see it as the ideal model

Fall Girl

I always felt that complaints about the length of the school day and year only really came to the fore once we hit the situation where there were no permanent stay at home parents. Schools etc these day can be seen as a convenient way to 'mind' the children.

eoghanacht

It'd remove the problem of pre and after school child minding for parents.

stopdoingstuff

I don't know about the hours but we in the West definitely have to aim higher. We have been in dumbing-down mode for decades. This is fine if you want shelf-stackers and beauticians, but if you want to invent new drugs and advanced weapons systems, we need to aim higher. I don't think people are generally aware of how badly we compare to the advanced nations.

Last edited:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
my eldest has more than 10 hours per week of outside school activities. 9-6 would kill all that so while it can be an option I wouldnt see it as the ideal model
Cut length of school holidays, says Michael Gove - Telegraph
Some of the Government’s flagship academies – state schools run independent of local council controls – are using their independence to reform the school day, he said.
Some open at 8.30am and expect children to remain until at least 4.30pm to undertake sport, music and other extra-curricular activities, it emerged.

D

Deleted member 17573

And if the kids are in school morning, noon and night why can't the parents work longer hours? And we'll all be good little units of production.
I notice that Gove doesn't actually advance any sound educational reasons.

dancl2000

In Asia school days of 8am -6pm are not uncommon, also Summer holidays are much shorter, Michael Gove the UK Education Secretary thinks the UK should move that way, Ireland ?

Michael Gove proposes longer school day and shorter holidays | Politics | guardian.co.uk
cYp
makes sense, plus the whole childcare thing is a very high expense (eur1000/one child). keeping the kids in school longer means
- time for more depth in the kids normal subjects
- time for additional activities such as music, sport, other special interests
- state provided childcare saving huge sums for families with kids
- childcare industry disappears, but childcare / child supervisor jobs are created in the the schools
- schools will need etra funding as they take on more social responsibility

Childcare costing more than mortgage bills, survey finds - Independent.ie

ShoutingIsLeadership

Childhood is the time when children get to be children. I hate being baked up in the office for most of the day, and I don't want that misery visited on children.

Fall Girl

I don't know about the hours but we in the West definitely have to aim higher. We have been in dumbing-down mode for decades. This is fine if you want self-stackers and beauticians, but if you want to invent new drugs and advanced weapons systems, we need to aim higher. I don't think people are generally aware of how badly we compare to the advanced nations.
I once gave informal English lessons to a 10 year old Korean boy who was visiting relatives here during the summer. He told me of how regimented the system is over there and how every part of the day is programmed.
My function (as organised by his parents) was to play English board games with him and do informal grammar lessons for 30 mins each day for three weeks. I was required to record each lesson and email it to his father to ensure that there wasn't too much emphasis on the 'fun' aspect of the lessons.
Now that's what I call serious erosion of a child's childhood!

RobertW

Schools are places of learning and education . . . . Not centres of babysitting.

Its a great idea if you can't be arsed minding your own kids.

It's an irrelevant thread as the money isn't there to fund schools open all morning/day/evening.

Brenny

Brenny

And if the kids are in school morning, noon and night why can't the parents work longer hours? And we'll all be good little units of production.
I notice that Gove doesn't actually advance any sound educational reasons.
Yes, it is most important of all that we are productive and contribute to economic growth.

RobertW

It also refers to Summer holidays, they could be shortened with teachers making up the slack
This is ignorance on such a grand grand scale that I don't know where to begin.

It ain't gonna happen.

Next you'll be proposing that teachers arrive home with your kids to do their homework for them.