• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Science Deniers

CptSternn

I used this as an example in another thread. It's not a joke, it's from a real book. Noe just a real book, but a book put out by a conservative group that publishes books that 'dispel' the 'lies' of science.

Worst part, they not only have traction in America, they are supported by many GOP members and other conservatives.

Here is a link to the actual book. You can check out some of the other titles by the same author and publishing group.

Dinosaurs of Eden: Tracing the Mystery Through History: Ken Ham, Earl Snellenberger, Bonnie Snellenberger: 9780890513408: Amazon.com: Books

This would be funny if it were not deadly serious and supported by a large chunk of America.

Can we start calling these people 'science-deniers'? I mean, clearly that's what they are sure.

EvotingMachine0197

All part of the standard creationist twaddle. Some of them think the Great Flood made the Grand Canyon. It's looney religious stuff, nothing will change their minds.

LDF

That's mad stuff. Everyone knows there's no such thing as "dinosaurs".

anationoceagain

I used this as an example in another thread. It's not a joke, it's from a real book. Noe just a real book, but a book put out by a conservative group that publishes books that 'dispel' the 'lies' of science.

Worst part, they not only have traction in America, they are supported by many GOP members and other conservatives.

Here is a link to the actual book. You can check out some of the other titles by the same author and publishing group.

Dinosaurs of Eden: Tracing the Mystery Through History: Ken Ham, Earl Snellenberger, Bonnie Snellenberger: 9780890513408: Amazon.com: Books

This would be funny if it were not deadly serious and supported by a large chunk of America.

Can we start calling these people 'science-deniers'? I mean, clearly that's what they are sure.
Looks like a party political manifesto from circa 2007

olli rehn

That's mad stuff. Everyone knows there's no such thing as "dinosaurs".
Wrong wrong wrong....watch this :
[video=youtube;xIk-FpQTht0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIk-FpQTht0[/video]

Mackers

Believed mostly by US Redneck bible thumpers and some of the DUP and most of the Free Presbyterians. Not too sure if the Flat Earth Society are all on board though.:?

sethjem7

"their incredible strength to turns lemons into delicious, fresh lemonade" Really?

owedtojoy

I opened a thread on this before and got attacked by every science denier on the site, who emerged from whatever hole they had been hiding in. http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/195896-denial-science-history-increasing-modern-phenomenon-50.html

Science denial is real, and is present in

• climate change denial ("climate change is not happening")
  • vaccination denial (the "vaccination causes autism" thing, putting kids' lives at risk)
  • AIDS-HIV denial (e.g. Thabo Mbeki in South Africa refused retroviral drugs to AIDS patients)
  • Every loony conspiracy theory demands rejection of scientific evidence in some form (e.g. the Apollo landings were faked)
As I explained, the denier clings to a personal belief or ideology that it would cause distress or "dissonance" if one had to give it up e.g. free market ideology in the case of climate change deniers, clearly religious faith in the case of an "evolution denier".

http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/195896-denial-science-history-increasing-modern-phenomenon-50.html

It is easy to reject Creationists & Holocaust Deniers (but you need lots of energy), lesseasy to expend the energy to find out more about the others. You will be surprised how many faux-science "experts" there are out there.

anationoceagain

I open a thread on this before and got attacked by every science denier on the site, who emerged from whatever hole they had been hiding in. http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/195896-denial-science-history-increasing-modern-phenomenon-50.html

• vaccination denial (the "vaccination causes autism" thing, putting kids' lives at risk)
  • AIDS-HIV denial (e.g. Thabo Mbeki in South Africa refused retrovirial drugs)
  • Every loony conspiracy theory demands rejection of scientific evidence in some form (e.g. the Apollo landings were faked)
As I explained, the denier clings to a personal belief or ideology that it would cause distress or "dissonance" if one had to give it up e.g. free market ideology in the case of a climate change deniers, clearly religious faith in the case of an "evolution denier".

http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/195896-denial-science-history-increasing-modern-phenomenon-50.html

It is easy to reject Creationists & Holocaust Deniers (but you need lots of energy), lesseasy to expend the energy to find out more about the others. You will be surprised how many faux-science "experts" there are out there.
Ah jaysus Owed...keep it light

DeTroika

There was a guy on the radio the other day talking about this, he pointed out that when he talked to people who believed the moon landing was faked, they usually believe that only the first mission was faked - weird!

I open a thread on this before and got attacked by every science denier on the site, who emerged from whatever hole they had been hiding in. http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/195896-denial-science-history-increasing-modern-phenomenon-50.html

• AIDS-HIV denial (e.g. Thabo Mbeki in South Africa refused retroviral drugs to AIDS patients)
As I explained, the denier clings to a personal belief or ideology that it would cause distress or "dissonance" if one had to give it up e.g. free market ideology in the case of climate change deniers, clearly religious faith in the case of an "evolution denier".

I think you're being somewhat naive here.

The Scientific Method relies on denial at its core.

Science does not do proof and it never claims to have done so, and its greatest revelations depend on overturning previously held tenets.

So Science continually rejects and rebuts its own findings. Einstein rejected Newton; yes, you can claim that Newton works in our frame of reference at low speeds, but that's crap. There's still a relativistic effect if I'm travelling at 1mm per hour.

The great thrill and the best benefit of science is that it is a self-correcting method; tomorrow it could demonstrate that black is white and further research could overturn that the next day. This is good.

The scientific method involves challenging its own findings and scientists daily take up that challenge.

It's a fantastic system and it's likely the best system possible for making sense of our observations of the universe in which we live.

Don't make a God of it, though. It has its failings. Lots of them.

anationoceagain

I opened a thread on this before and got attacked by every science denier on the site, who emerged from whatever hole they had been hiding in. http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/195896-denial-science-history-increasing-modern-phenomenon-50.html

At the risk of repeating myself from other threads....Your post is complete nonsense. You continually link anyone who remotely disagrees with your stance on global warming with any obvious crackpot bunkum you can describe...thereby tainting your opponents by association with nonsense such as Holocaust Denial and now dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden. This is a fundamentally totalitarian mindset, that attempts to scare anyone who might adhere to any of the many other positions on the issue of manmade global warming from expressing a differing opinion. In essence then, you are the real denier, a denier of free speech and debate.

PlanetBertie

If people can believe in their version of a God, you can't be surprised at what other nonsense they might be peddling.

CptSternn

I'm not surprised at all. This site is chock full of right-wing conservatives, more so than actual Irish society. We get lots of them from around the globe who come here to try and appear like they are part of our society, but sure, spend one day in Ireland and you know they must be from part unknown.

I take their views with a grain of salt. These are the same people who spent the last two years telling us how Obama was going to lose in a landslide (and that he is a Kenyan Muslim). I pity these people more than anything.

They remind me of that episode of 30 Rock when the CEO decided to support a political candidate because of his conservative views and then listens to his other views and find out he's a nutter. Many of the people on this site who are science deniers are like this. They think they are swaying people towards their views, then support something like the aforementioned photo and show their true colours. I think it should be encouraged. Great craĆ­c! ;)

Brooklyn Without Limits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Con Gallagher

If people can believe in their version of a God, you can't be surprised at what other nonsense they might be peddling.
The reviews are worth a look. This is my favorite:
" Perfect for any child who loves dinosaurs and believes God's word is true
December 15, 2008 By IIJuan12
When my 3 year old son told me dinosaurs weren't around at the same time as people, I explained to him (again) that God created the dinosaurs the same time as all the other animals. Many died during the flood. There were dinosaurs on the ark. Probably many dinosaurs that came off the ark were killed off by knights. He replied, "Well then why are there never people in the pictures with the dinosaurs?" It was then I that I decided I needed to buy this book. My son was mesmerized by the pictures and looked through it over and over again. He would even sit through me reading the pages (which are a bit wordy for such a young child). My son is now 6 and he still loves the book. He still doesn't read much of it himself, but he loves for me to read it to him. We also purchased "Dinosaurs By Design" and "When Dragon's Hearts Were Good" both of which I would also recommend. "The Amazing Story of Creation" might be good for when he's older. It still doesn't keep his attention.

7 out of 22 found this helpful "
Does Amazon not have obligations under consumer law not to mislead its customers about its products:

Filled with stunning artwork, this fun family book will transport you on a breathtaking journey through the "time-gate" of the Bible, the true history book of the universe!

This captivating adventure by popular writer Ken Ham projects you back to the Garden of Eden and to the real world inhabited by dinosaurs - and to the exciting days of Noah's flood and the Tower of Babel. You'll be there watching...traveling through the centuries...learning the true history of the earth, and along the way discovering the very meaning and purpose of life!

Dinosaurs of Eden: Tracing the Mystery Through History:Amazon:Books

CptSternn

There was a guy on the radio the other day talking about this, he pointed out that when he talked to people who believed the moon landing was faked, they usually believe that only the first mission was faked - weird!
I lived in the states for many years. You have to mind those parts where they think the moon landing is fake and wrestling is real.

Also known as red states.

owedtojoy

At the risk of repeating myself from other threads....Your post is complete nonsense. You continually link anyone who remotely disagrees with your stance on global warming with any obvious crackpot bunkum you can describe...thereby tainting your opponents by association with nonsense such as Holocaust Denial and now dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden. This is a fundamentally totalitarian mindset, that attempts to scare anyone who might adhere to any of the many other positions on the issue of manmade global warming from expressing a differing opinion. In essence then, you are the real denier, a denier of free speech and debate.
Lat week the American Geophysical Society held its annual fall meeting in San Francisco. It is the largest gathering of geophysicists and atmospheric scientists in the world with up to 20,000 or so attendees at several simultaneous meetings.

Here is the program. Kindly examine it and find out how many talks denied global warming or contradicted the ever-gathering amount of evidence for it. You will find that precisely 0 did so.

Scientific Program - AGU Fall Meeting 2012

As I said, climate change denial is now primarily a political ideology for right wing US Republicans, many of whom are also Creationists.

And, by the way, I welcome debate. But have you ever debated with a Creationist? I have, and you will find that no matter what evidence or logic you use, they will refuse to accept it, and ultimately claim the evidence is faked by Darwinists. You will find exactly the same tactics used by climate change deniers. I find it hard to maintain patience with blatant dishonesty, and I will not apologise for that.

Mackers

The problem with the Creationist's bunk is how they can intimidate Government bodies into putting their c rap into the likes of the Giants Causeway Centre as fact.

Thomaso12

America seems to be crawling with these creationist nutters. No suprise their that strong when no one deals with them.