Scientific evidence: Dieting loses most weight,exercise only a little weight

SamVimesBoots

Ummmm, muscle is heavier than fat....so with properly planned exercise you'll burn off the fat and build muscle, so you could end up much trimmer but actually weighing more.

DCon

Ummmm, muscle is heavier than fat....so with properly planned exercise you'll burn off the fat and build muscle, so you could end up much trimmer but actually weighing more.
not to mention healthier

Yes, food accounts for about 80% of weight control - this is news why? It still doesn't mean that an exercise regime won't help - as SVB says having more muscle mass results in more burn off of calorific intake. It is why BMI is debunked as a method for measuring leanness - most athelete's BMi is way above the level considered healthy on this scale.

theghost

I used a combination of diet and strenuous exercise to lose weight but, having got the weight back under control I rely more on diet to keep it that way. I do exercise - albeit gently - by walking the dogs for a 2 or 3 hours every day. However, as we all know, exercise with dogs tends to be a stop/start affair - we go at a brisk pace until human is jolted backwards by 3 dogs eagerly sniffing at a scent on the lamppost :p

Interista

Actually, experts have long been aware that exercise is, at the very least, an inefficient way to lose weight.

[quoteThe problem, as he and his contemporaries saw it, is that light exercise burns an insignificant number of calories - amounts that are undone by comparatively effortless changes in diet. In 1942, Louis Newburgh of the University of Michigan calculated that a 17st man expends only three calories climbing a flight of stairs - the equivalent of depriving himself of a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar or 100th of an ounce of butter. 'He will have to climb 20 flights of stairs to rid himself of the energy contained in one slice of bread,' Newburgh observed. So why not skip the stairs, skip the bread, and call it a day?][/quote]

Gary Taubes questions the relationship between physical activity and losing weight | Life and style | The Observer

However, health boards in the US and elsewhere still tout the idea of exercise as an important weight loss aid, even though they know it isn't true. This is because they also know that, whatever they may say, many people who exercise do so mainly because they think it will help them lose weight, not because of the various other health benefits which regular exercise undoubtedly brings. If it were publicly admitted that exercise is good for your health in all sorts of ways but it's not going to make you thin, chances are the gyms would empty overnight.

cactusflower

See Exercise? A fat lot of good that is for weight loss - Times Online

Quote:

"...aggressive intervention is needed to stop children from eating too much,from babyhood."

But that would reduce the profits of the fast foods, sugary foods and fizzy drinks corporations,hence most people will be obese in another generation.
Although, it is important to note, few people can stop themselves getting fatter over time unless they are active.
There was a reputable study that showed that exercise alone was a more successful long term weight loss strategy than exercise and dieting.

There are a lot of fallacies repeated in that report. Some of them are covered in the comments under the article.

Nobody who eats a normal healthy diet and takes plenty of exercise is fat.

I used a combination of diet and strenuous exercise to lose weight but, having got the weight back under control I rely more on diet to keep it that way. I do exercise - albeit gently - by walking the dogs for a 2 or 3 hours every day. However, as we all know, exercise with dogs tends to be a stop/start affair - we go at a brisk pace until human is jolted backwards by 3 dogs eagerly sniffing at a scent on the lamppost :p
More Dog Whisperer for you now!

greenbacks

Anyone dieting this New Year or have you already broken your resolution?

I've just started the gym not because I am over weight but only because I missed it alot.

Still,I am going to quit the likes of fizzy drinks and cut down on the fast food.

Victor Meldrew

I've just started the gym not because I am over weight but only because I missed it alot.

Still,I am going to quit the likes of fizzy drinks and cut down on the fast food.

Cutting carbs at lunch and eating less in the evening....

alloverbartheshouting

Eating less, moving more and paying very little attention to the commonly-accepted food pyramid and paying more attention to what I know works well for me.

As an aside, how many here load up on fruit as part of the supposed five-a-day? Nothing is easier than making a smoothie to get it in fast in a tasty way, but boy, do bananas and strawberries pack a sugary punch.

Bea C

Eating less, moving more and paying very little attention to the commonly-accepted food pyramid and paying more attention to what I know works well for me.

As an aside, how many here load up on fruit as part of the supposed five-a-day? Nothing is easier than making a smoothie to get it in fast in a tasty way, but boy, do bananas and strawberries pack a sugary punch.
I'd focus more on vegetables.
Having said that, I'd still have four-five portions of fruit a day.
My daily minimum is ten.
I usually have about thirteen portions, but on occassions it can soar up to seventeen!
Everybody laughs at me, but I am never sick (well, bar chronic conditions and orthopaedic injuries...).
In the past decade I have been on anti-biotics twice: for an eye infection (God bless my eyes, in spite of the fact I'd been using that contact lense solution for years, for some reason they decided to become allergic to it: they got very badly infected then) and wisdom teeth.
You'd listen to the sh1te women carry on with regard to food: don't get me wrong, I'm all fat-obsessed too, but I'd insist on the natural way. In other words, I'd regard diet ranges as toxic.
I was arguing with a woman a January or two ago about desserts, she couldn't fathom how I regarded fresh strawberries and cream as a healthier option than one of those processed, pre-packed expiry-date-eighteen-months-away products.

Dame_Enda

I have lost around 6-7 lbs in Month 1 of a diet drawn up for me by my dietician. I have done scarcely any exercise. So I agree with these findings. Anyway exercise just makes me more hungry and I tend to binge. I have 2 stone to go.

alloverbartheshouting

I'd focus more on vegetables.
Having said that, I'd still have four-five portions of fruit a day.
My daily minimum is ten.
I usually have about thirteen portions, but on occassions it can soar up to seventeen!
Everybody laughs at me, but I am never sick (well, bar chronic conditions and orthopaedic injuries...).
In the past decade I have been on anti-biotics twice: for an eye infection (God bless my eyes, in spite of the fact I'd been using that contact lense solution for years, for some reason they decided to become allergic to it: they got very badly infected then) and wisdom teeth.
You'd listen to the sh1te women carry on with regard to food: don't get me wrong, I'm all fat-obsessed too, but I'd insist on the natural way. In other words, I'd regard diet ranges as toxic.
I was arguing with a woman a January or two ago about desserts, she couldn't fathom how I regarded fresh strawberries and cream as a healthier option than one of those processed, pre-packed expiry-date-eighteen-months-away products.
I'm with you on that - if I can't confidently read aloud, never mind recognise, the ingredients on the back of a wrapper or package, I don't eat it. Not because I'm a food snob but because they taste so plastic and fake that I'd rather have a little bit of full-fat this or that and actually enjoy the experience.

gerhard dengler

Running between 25km and 30km per week is what works for me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies