• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Scores killed in Chinese protests

Dios

From the Beebs...
Violence in China's restive western region of Xinjiang has left at least 140 people dead and more than 800 people injured, state media say.

Several hundred people were arrested after a protest, in the city of Urumqi on Sunday, turned violent.

Beijing says Uighurs went on the rampage but one exiled Uighur leader says police fired on students.

The protest was reportedly prompted by a deadly fight between Uighurs and Han Chinese in southern China last month.

The BBC's Chris Hogg in Shanghai says this is one of the most serious clashes between the authorities and demonstrators in China since Tiananmen Square in 1989.
Its been fairly apparent for a while now that the "benevolent dictatorship" of the Chinese state has only been sustainable as long as there was continued economic growth, and with the global downturn it was only a matter of time before the sparks hit the tinder.

Will the People's Republic survive another ten years in its current configuration?

zakalwe1

not a peep from the leftwing crusaders about gross human rights abuses amongst a population of 1bn people.

sandar

the people of that region have been quietlky protesting for years. China has opressed the people of Tibvet for as long as Israel has oppressed the palestinians, and are holding onto this region for its mineral welath and stragtigc importance, similar to the west in the middle east, but where are the left with their protests

Dios

the people of that region have been quietlky protesting for years. China has opressed the people of Tibvet for as long as Israel has oppressed the palestinians, and are holding onto this region for its mineral welath and stragtigc importance, similar to the west in the middle east, but where are the left with their protests
The original protests were in south China. China is comprised of dozens of smaller ethnic groups, who at the best of times are only loosely held together by the state, and even then only by the dangling carrot of economic betterment. Now the carrot is gone, the stick comes out, and it remains to be seen just how well their totalitarian model holds up. My guess is, it won't.

Nodin

From the Beebs...

Its been fairly apparent for a while now that the "benevolent dictatorship" of the Chinese state has only been sustainable as long as there was continued economic growth, and with the global downturn it was only a matter of time before the sparks hit the tinder.

Will the People's Republic survive another ten years in its current configuration?
The Uighurs have been looking for independence for a long time. Its really not indicative of the attitude of Chinese generally.

The poor bastards will probably be slaughtered.....

Clanrickard

not a peep from the leftwing crusaders about gross human rights abuses amongst a population of 1bn people.
Why would there be? There own heroes like Trotsky, lenin, Stalin, Mao, Minh all slaughtered people it is what communists do.

The OD

The Uighurs have been looking for independence for a long time. Its really not indicative of the attitude of Chinese generally.

The poor bastards will probably be slaughtered.....
Whilst I would like to see the current inhuman regime destroyed utterly, the loss of life to accomplish this would be appalling.

I can only hope that the death toll by government mass murder isnt too high, that I am afraid, is the only thing we can realistically hope for.

sandar

its more a case that the left stopped being economics years ago, they havent had a thinker in economics in the twentieth century who could develop their ideology to cope with the changes which the twentieth cnetury brought, but they do have a lot of cultural critics, so become cultural marxists, and the culture they dislike is the west,. so they will always criticise rthe west and ignore anything else...

X-ray

I visted it in recent years and I can honestly say it is the most sinister I have ever been. It reflected very badly on us ("the west") that we put up with it just to get a few cheap barbies made.

Peole would not buy wine from south africa a few years ago(which I agree was the correct thing to do) and yet we buy everything and export our jobs to this moral cesspit. It is truely the worst of all worlds, peole die on the street there because it is the most ultra capitalist system going. At least in the USA a charity might give you a bowl of soup etc, China will come back to haunt us. There is no good economics that ignores morality, surely we dont need to learn that lesson again.
China will finish the USA yet.

sandar

china has nuclear weapons. There are thoseof us in the west who dont wish to put up with it, but governments do, and the left who criticse the governments do.

Ecoguy

David Horgan(spokesperson for big oil in Ireland ie. Irish Offshore operators) said on Newstalk last year that he admired the way the Chinese deal with any form of decent when discussing Shell in Mayo. I take it the same scumbag approves of this horror in China.:mad:

sandar

so ecoguy........thats not far off slander, and a gross exageration to compare shannon to china.

grassroots

Is there an Irish peace boat heading to China. Where is the SF peace delgation when you need them. What has Joe Higgins got to say on this issue or Denis Halliday.

Trampas

The Uighurs have been looking for independence for a long time.

Of course they are looking for independence. They are Muslims after all and that is what Muslims do. Thailand, Philippines wherever.
I don't fancy their chances but I dare say the jihad will go on.

Nodin

Whilst I would like to see the current inhuman regime destroyed utterly, the loss of life to accomplish this would be appalling.

I can only hope that the death toll by government mass murder isnt too high, that I am afraid, is the only thing we can realistically hope for.

Mass arrests, lots of beatings, good bit of torture, string up the leaders....standard colonial practice, really, regardless of what "ism" they allegedly follow.

Ecoguy

so ecoguy........thats not far off slander, and a gross exageration to compare shannon to china.
Excuse me - those were his exact words if you'd like to check with newstalk - the other guests on the programme were rightly appalled!!

I make no apology for pointing out what a scumbag Horgan and his fellow travellers are:)

zakalwe1

will IAWM (irish anti-war movement) organise demos outside the dail for this?

or the kidnapping of GOAL workers in Darfur?

The OD

will IAWM (irish anti-war movement) organise demos outside the dail for this?

or the kidnapping of GOAL workers in Darfur?
C'mon Zak, protesting Chinese injustices is just soooo 80's.....

Get with the anti US/UK programme, duuuude....

:?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies