• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Scotland rules the waves

RasherHash

Under the UN Convention for the Law of the Sea, an uninhabited rock cannot have an economic zone, Scotland.
Didn't some sas w@nker camp out on it years back, to claim it for the empire?

John Scotus

If this is true then Ireland has no claim.
I think Ireland's point is that Rockall is not habitable (which isn't) and is such a tiny rock that it shouldn't really count when it comes to EEZ and stuff.

Not sure what the international legalities are as regards such uninhabitable rocklets.

But I don't think Ireland is making any claim on the basis of proximity,

cytex

I think Ireland's point is that Rockall is not habitable (which isn't) and is such a tiny rock that it shouldn't really count when it comes to EEZ and stuff.

Not sure what the international legalities are as regards such uninhabitable rocklets.

But I don't think Ireland is making any claim on the basis of proximity,
It doesnt that is the point . What scotland and the UK done is against the UN convention . Unhinhabitable rocks have no bearing on EEZ that is Irelands dispute UK have absoultley no legal standing to claim 12 nautical miles around it or to board Irish vessels for fishing illegally as they arent under EU law and International Law.

Sweet Darling

Leave the 'Scum' out, if you wouldn't mind.

It might be the sort of thing you're used to at home, but this is a friendly country we're talking about.

Let's see what they're about and test it rather than calling them names.
Some of the biggest cu4ts sent up north were the scot regiments.

Sweet Darling

They are just dipping their toe in the water to see how this goes down, you know, a national pride thing.
Nothing will come of this.
Yea everybody needs to calm down. It's just the Bucky talking.
Remember this thing about governing themselves is new to them, they'll learn.
When they lose on this one they'll just go home and take it out on the wife.

WayOutWest

What is the importance of Rockall, I hear the people mention the fishing rights and the oil and gas. We already have fish, oil and gas in our own undisputed waters and and it seems everybody else can have without any benefit to us. We might as well give it to the Scots and demand they give us a barrel of oil and a jar of gas every year and that might be worth more than we presently get from companies operating in our own waters.

Sweet Darling

What is the importance of Rockall, I hear the people mention the fishing rights and the oil and gas. We already have fish, oil and gas in our own undisputed waters and and it seems everybody else can have without any benefit to us. We might as well give it to the Scots and demand they give us a barrel of oil and a jar of gas every year and that might be worth more than we presently get from companies operating in our own waters.
May want to read up on the stuff you are complaining about

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
So..will the Wolfe Tones modify "Rock on Rockall" to.....
"Oh rock on Rockall you'll never fall
For Scotland's greedy hands" and
"Two hundred miles from Donegal, there's a place that's called Rockall
And the groping hands of Edinburgh
are grabbing at its walls "

Doesn't quite have the same ring, does it?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wouldn't go giving away any rights for nothing. There is an obvious solution available that covers all bases.

Dublin and Holyrood could easily sit down and negotiate (a) an equitable fishing agreement within all EU regulations, (b) negotiate a division of profits from any mineral rights in the area and be generous in drawing the joint box around Rockall.

It would be a far harder and expensive process to go through face-offs between trawlers, navy patrols in too small an area, and ultimately confusing the puffins with them hearing two different styles of Gaelic yelled at them from time to time.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The challenge is; we're neighbouring countries. The solution is; we're neighbouring countries.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Seems to me that if Dublin and Holyrood were to come up with a precautionary framework for Rockall and the surrounding area which encompasses fishing and any mineral rights then it would be far easier to see off jointly much fainter claims from Scandinavia.

Sweet Darling

So..will the Wolfe Tones modify "Rock on Rockall" to.....
"Oh rock on Rockall you'll never fall
For Scotland's greedy hands" and
"Two hundred miles from Donegal, there's a place that's called Rockall
And the groping hands of Edinburgh
are grabbing at its walls "

Doesn't quite have the same ring, does it?
If there's money in it to keep them in their millionaire lifestyle they would sing any oul sh1t.

rainmaker

Administrator
It doesnt that is the point . What scotland and the UK done is against the UN convention . Unhinhabitable rocks have no bearing on EEZ that is Irelands dispute UK have absoultley no legal standing to claim 12 nautical miles around it or to board Irish vessels for fishing illegally as they arent under EU law and International Law.
The Irish government do not recognize British sovereignty or that it can have its own 12 mile territorial limit.

However they do recognize that it falls within the British exclusive economic zone.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies