Scottish Independence: Ireland's Nightmare?

orathaic

If Scotland votes for independence, and given English nationalism being on the rise, Northern Ireland is likely to be left as an independent nation. with security issues being the one problem.

The most useful solution for NI (supportable by, I think, all sides) Is an expansion of the powers and responsibilities of the British-Irish council Isles.

With London, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast and Cardiff represented, thus avoiding the need for a costly civil war in Ireland. Though since we are all European now it is possible to look to that higher authority for resolution of any issues.

Or we could all kill each other...

bogtrotter

Insider2007 said:
toxic avenger said:
drbob1972 said:
[quote="toxic avenger":nf7rrr17] It was suggested to me by a fairly intelligent observer 15 years ago that Scottish Independence would lead to civil war in Ireland, is that hyperbole or does it have any substance?
i'd be interested in getting the logic behind that theory if you can remember same
As far as I remember this observer (fairly intelligent and not given to overstatement) believed that it would provoke a unionist or loyalist crisis, that the connection with Scotland was the real link with the Union, and London meant little in comparison. He believed that it would provoke UDI by the Unionists along the same lines as Ian Smith in Rhodesia, and after that a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" to shore up the new state. It struck me as based on too much supposition but still plausible at that time, though that was back in 1992 and much has obviously changed.
Absolute nonsense. NI Unionists owe their allegiance to the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom would continue to exist even if Scotland left it. It continued to exist after Ireland left it.[/quote:nf7rrr17]

Really...when did ireland leave?....

forest

1922 ireland left and northern ireland stayed
don't you remeber your history classes

bogtrotter

forest said:
1922 ireland left and northern ireland stayed
don't you remeber your history classes

I don't remember that one, I thought part of Ireland was still under British rule so how could ireland have left, your teacher must have been telling you fairy tales.....

timhorgan

Nobody has asked the big question - what will Prince Phillip be Duke of if the vote is yes?

New Threads

Most Replies