• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

SDLP calls for immediate talks to restore NI powersharing

Newrybhoy

M
Carmen and around that part of Tyrone their is a high density. Most of the main towns would have a speaking population.
Some townland in Carrickmore?

lol.

A "speaking population"?

2 men and a dog?

The GCSE class?

I have never, ever heard someone have a conversation in any town in Tyrone.

Not once in decades.

raetsel

M

lol.

A "speaking population"?

2 men and a dog?

The GCSE class?

Not once in decades.
That's because it's a recreational and adult education activity. It is spoken within groups to gather to engage in it at agreed venues, parish halls, GAA clubs, bunscoileanna, anywhere the organisers can get suitable facilities.

McSlaggart

M

lol.

A "speaking population"?

2 men and a dog?

The GCSE class?

Not once in decades.

I already said that they do not normally speak it in places people may get offended by it.

Newrybhoy

That's because it's a recreational and adult education activity. It is spoken within groups to gather to engage in it at agreed venues, parish halls, GAA clubs, bunscoileanna, anywhere the organisers can get suitable facilities.
It's a hobby, a pastime.

I'm well aware of that. Trying to imply it is spoken in everyday discourse in the towns of Tyrone is simply disengenuous.

raetsel

It's a hobby, a pastime.

I'm well aware of that. Trying to imply it is spoken in everyday discourse in the towns of Tyrone is simply disengenuous.
Within families it is spoken in the home. It isn't a language of business. Nobody is claiming that.

McSlaggart

It's a hobby, a pastime.

If a large section of the population wish their money to be spent in the language then that is what is going to occur.

Mickeymac

If a large section of the population wish their money to be spent in the language then that is what is going to occur.

In other words, onionists need to accept justice and equality and realise “croppy lie down” is something from the distant past.

Mickeymac

Within families it is spoken in the home. It isn't a language of business. Nobody is claiming that.
No explanations or excuses should be expressed to sectarian bigots, London claims jurisdiction in the six counties, Scotland and Wales, same rules should apply for ALL regarding language legislation.

death or glory

That's one hell of a mighty big "if".

If they wanted it in Chinese would that occur also.

death or glory

In truth its about protecting native languages. FYI : Chinese is not classified as a native European language.
How does forcing a language on people who don't want it, protect it?

redneck

Have you figures for your " ethnic majority" in Liverpool ?

A language relatively no one speaks yet receives countless millions in funding already.

I'll happily have a free vote on the gay marriage.
How many people speak "Ulster scots". Which Loyalists and Unionists demand funding for?
Hoo meny puple spake Ulster Scooots, laddae?

redneck

Unionists in N.I demand "ulster scots" be on road signs, yet most people know it is just a Ballymena accent or dialect.
And then Newry and DoG complain about an Teanga Gaeilge.
Cén fáth?

Newrybhoy

What unionists have asked for a Ulster Scots to be on road signs?

I assume if they did it was some sort of quid pro quo for Irish to be in them.

I've an idea, let's stick with English and everyone will know what they are for.

McSlaggart

M

lol.

A "speaking population"?

2 men and a dog?

The GCSE class?

Not once in decades.
FYI : "Carmen" is associated with a much greater area than Carrickmore. If it was just Carrickmore I would have used the towns name.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies