• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

SDLP Meltdown on Nolan

blokesbloke

Perhaps if they could offer the right inducements my Joanie could go up there and take over as leader and sort them out?

Glaucon

The SDLP put forward another dud in FST at the last election. It's sad to see, the party is in dire straits - and a dominant SF left completely unchallenged is not good for Irish nationalism.

CastleRay

The SDLP put forward another dud in FST at the last election. It's sad to see, the party is in dire straits - and a dominant SF left completely unchallenged is not good for Irish nationalism.
Do you think the quality of Sinn Fein candidates is any better?

devonish

The quality of candidates in all the parties is very low.
I think it's a mixed bag, all of the parties have some decent candidates, there's just no enough of them. It's quite embarrassing when you see some MLAs standing up in Stormont and being barely able to read a question that someone else has prepared for them.

Just Jack

Sinn Féin's candidates in the twenty-six counties tend to be of a significantly higher capability than those in the six.

With the exceptions of Uncle Marty, Gerry Kelly, Michelle Gildernew (and a few others here and there) SF is nowhere near as impressive in the six counties.

devonish

Sinn Féin's candidates in the twenty-six counties tend to be of a significantly higher capability than those in the six.

With the exceptions of Uncle Marty, Gerry Kelly, Michelle Gildernew (and a few others here and there) SF is nowhere near as impressive in the six counties.
I suspect that in NI more of the reps are there as a result of their "contribution to the armed struggle".

theloner

I suspect that in NI more of the reps are there as a result of their "contribution to the armed struggle".
Incidentally all five of SF's candidates in west Belfast are former political prisoners. Feeling the heat from the new Gerry about the west...

McSlaggart

How would that make them "weak" candidates? The fact that one was prepared to die for one believed in is normally taken as a positive attribute in a candidate.

devonish

How would that make them "weak" candidates? The fact that one was prepared to die for one believed in is normally taken as a positive attribute in a candidate.
Being prepared to kill or die for a cause doesn't translate into having the ability to act as a politician, personally I think that the ability to do the job should be of more importance in selecting candidates but each to their own.

Mickeymac

Being prepared to kill or die for a cause doesn't translate into having the ability to act as a politician, personally I think that the ability to do the job should be of more importance in selecting candidates but each to their own.

Have you expressed such views to Barney and Jeff?

automaticforthepeople

Have you ever met Dessie Ellis or Martin Kenny? Holy Moly if these are more capable than the B team up north then it looks likely that the children who were graduating from school when the Good Friday Agreement was being signed were in the special needs unit on campus.

hollandia

There are a fair proportion of SF reps who are in the position they are in because of, for want of a better phrase, "time served". This is holding back better candidates, but it's probably really no different to any other party in that respect - it's extremely difficult to unseat an incumbent from within the party, particularly if those reps are people who carried the torch when your party was much less popular than it is now.

McSlaggart

It is only one attribute but an important one. I grant you their are others but at the very least you do want your politician to have conviction.

Just Jack

It just so happens that those involved in armed struggle tend to be more impressive generally.

Gerry Kelly tends to run rings around his opponents (and sometimes it's 5 on 1) on whatever show he happens to be on.

Irish-Rationalist

It just so happens that those involved in armed struggle tend to be more impressive generally.

Gerry Kelly tends to run rings around his opponents (and sometimes it's 5 on 1) on whatever show he happens to be on.
Gerry Kelly is just very predisposed to circumlocution, with a predilection to tautology seldom found in other politicians. I'm convinced he knows what he's talking about 70% of the time, and the other 30% of the time he just confuses other's by saying far more than is required, and in a more complex manner.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies