SDLP MLA says 95 Wrightbus job losses a 'devastating blow'

McSlaggart

The last job loss announcement was blamed by management on the loss of sales to Transport for London and the protracted delay in new orders from Translink. Unite has previously challenged the inexcusable betrayal of Northern Ireland workers by those in government in London who transferred the TfL contracts to China and Egypt," said Mr Brash.

In a statement, Chairman of Wrights Group Mark Nodder OBE said: "There is a good deal of continuing uncertainty - specifically in the UK market - at present, which is causing private and public bus operators alike to delay or postpone their vehicle investment programmes.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/jobs/sdlp-mla-says-95-wrightbus-job-losses-a-devastating-blow-36980015.html

In light of Brexit should the UK government implement protectionism in the purchase of goods and services? The last buses purchased for Belfast was not manufactured in the UK.

mac tíre

In a statement, Chairman of Wrights Group Mark Nodder OBE said: "There is a good deal of continuing uncertainty - specifically in the UK market - at present, which is causing private and public bus operators alike to delay or postpone their vehicle investment programmes.
Meh. The owner of Wrightbus was a vocal and influential Brexit supporter. The uncertainties in the UK are down to Brexit. The owner of Wrightbus will not have to live with any difficulties which arise.

McSlaggart

Meh. The owner of Wrightbus was a vocal and influential Brexit supporter. The uncertainties in the UK are down to Brexit. The owner of Wrightbus will not have to live with any difficulties which arise.
Brexit will impact on his business but he must have thought it would have a longer term positive impact on his business. What I do not see is what he thought it would be other than getting the uk to buy his buses?

Robo

The last job loss announcement was blamed by management on the loss of sales to Transport for London and the protracted delay in new orders from Translink. Unite has previously challenged the inexcusable betrayal of Northern Ireland workers by those in government in London who transferred the TfL contracts to China and Egypt," said Mr Brash.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/jobs/sdlp-mla-says-95-wrightbus-job-losses-a-devastating-blow-36980015.html

In light of Brexit should the UK government implement protectionism in the purchase of goods and services? The last buses purchased for Belfast was not manufactured in the UK.
All public services contracts should be to UK own businesses only, protectionism yes. The only agruement against protectionism is that is stops you gaining business outside of the UK. Which is very true if your trying to sell a substandard product at above standard price, by protecting UK businesses you are maintaining UK business which may sell above standard product at above standard price.

vivabrigada

All public services contracts should be to UK own businesses only, protectionism yes. The only agruement against protectionism is that is stops you gaining business outside of the UK. Which is very true if your trying to sell a substandard product at above standard price, by protecting UK businesses you are maintaining UK business which may sell above standard product at above standard price.
Wrighbus are avowedly pro Brexit.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-35752575
They are shedding jobs as a result.
They have a factory in India.
Join the dots.

Mickeymac

Maybe he is planning to join Lawson/Farage and many other Brexiteers for a new life in the EU.:lol:

Newrybhoy

The world trade war sparked by trump is only getting going. Who knows how it will pan out.

CastleRay

Brexit will impact on his business but he must have thought it would have a longer term positive impact on his business. What I do not see is what he thought it would be other than getting the uk to buy his buses?
There are many reasons why someone would wish the UK to leave the EU, not just economic.

If you are seeing that leaving the EU would only be good for Wrightbus specifically if the internal bus market was the future reliance of the company, then you aren’t really looking very hard. Poor analysis from you.

vivabrigada

There are many reasons why someone would wish the UK to leave the EU, not just economic.

If you are seeing that leaving the EU would only be good for Wrightbus specifically if the internal bus market was the future reliance of the company, then you aren’t really looking very hard. Poor analysis from you.
Hey, Ray, you never did get back to me on this:

The British are spitting fury over top Tory and chair of Brexit Lawson doing a runner to France. He told them brexit would be good for Britan now their kids are losing the right to live and work in the EU while he is free roam 27 EU countries.

Here's a few of the milder ones.

"Marcus Chown
@marcuschown
3h
Nigel Lawson applying for French citizenship. Nigel Farage applying for German citizenship... Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking about sinking ships? #Brexit
Peter Stefanovic
@PeterStefanovi2
For once even I’m lost for words! You literally could not make this up! (link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-lord-12626452) mirror.co.uk/news/politics/…"
Seems to be a few reasons for brexiteers to have EU citizenship
You staying British!

Mickeymac

The British are spitting fury over top Tory and chair of Brexit Lawson doing a runner to France. He told them brexit would be good for Britan now their kids are losing the right to live and work in the EU while he is free roam 27 EU countries.

"Marcus Chown
@marcuschown
3h
Nigel Lawson applying for French citizenship. Nigel Farage applying for German citizenship... Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking about sinking ships? #Brexit
Peter Stefanovic
@PeterStefanovi2
For once even I’m lost for words! You literally could not make this up! (link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-lord-12626452) mirror.co.uk/news/politics/…"
You staying British!

Have you noticed sir that every onionist on here has ignored this story since it broke?

More unionist denial.....again?

hollandia

So... a major DUP donor is one of the first hit by the outworkings of Brexit, eh?

Who'da thunk it?

CastleRay

"Marcus Chown
@marcuschown
3h
Peter Stefanovic
@PeterStefanovi2
You staying British!
What’s to get back on? It’s up to Lawson where he lives, not me. I don’t think he has anything but the UK’s interests at heart with his involvement in the Leave campaign. He’s been in favour of the UK leaving the EU for years regardless of his residence.

vivabrigada

Have you noticed sir that every onionist on here has ignored this story since it broke?

More unionist denial.....again?
Yip.

Hey, Ray, you never did get back to me on this.

"Marcus Chown
@marcuschown
3h
Peter Stefanovic
@PeterStefanovi2
You'd nearly think they are ashamed of something.

Mickeymac

Yip.

Hey, Ray, you never did get back to me on this.

"Marcus Chown
@marcuschown
3h
Peter Stefanovic
@PeterStefanovi2
You'd nearly think they are ashamed of something.

Beats me as to why he won't answer Viva.:D.........unless I am correct in what I said earlier............more onionist denial

vivabrigada

Beats me as to why he won't answer Viva.:D.........unless I am correct in what I said earlier............more onionist denial
They seem reluctant^^^^^^

New Threads

Most Replies