• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

SDLP's Mark Durkan wins Westminster "wit of the year" award.

factual

BBC News - Foyle MP Mark Durkan is Westminster 'Wit of the Year'

Mr Durkan was presented with a framed caricature on the night depicting him reading from a book of 'Durkanisms'.
Mr Durkan jokingly said: "Natural Irish sense is what passes for wit in a British Parliament."
The Annual Alternative Parliamentary Awards organised by GovNet Communications and held in the House of Lords.
The spirit behind the Wit of the Year award is as much about a parliamentarian's jocular nature and style in the tea-rooms and corridors of Westminster as much as in the House of Commons chamber itself.
Well done Mark. I have always thought him an impressive orator, whose speeches in the Commons are interesting to listen to, as well as, in places, quite witty. He deserves the prize!

former wesleyan

His .... " X knows the road to Damascus better than a Syrian taxi driver " is a minor classic.

Glaucon

Paisley had great wit too when he put his mind to it. A pity the DUP is now represented by automatons like Nigel Dodds, Londongregory and the Singing Loyalist Reverend.

cricket

Durcan came up with the highly apt and amusing " Sunningdale for slow learners " when describing the GFA, even though Seamus Mallon was the first to use it publicly.

factual

He introduced a lot of terms. He coined the term "ugly scaffolding" . This referred to all the safeguarding mechanisms in the Assembly's voting, including the designation into nationalist and unionist. It is quite apt, because the idea is that something is being built, there is scaffolding, that hopefully, one day, can be taken away.

Truth.ie

Boris Johnson....surely.
Guy's as sharp as a tack.
Durkan has some good lines but lacks delivery.

J

Johnny Boy

Durcan came up with the highly apt and amusing " Sunningdale for slow learners " when describing the GFA, even though Seamus Mallon was the first to use it publicly.
Never knew that. For me, that is probably the best witty quote of the troubles, by a mile! I'd always assumed that it came from Mallon's background as a schoolteacher.

J

Johnny Boy

Boris Johnson....surely.
Boris works the crowd with his pretend buffoonery.................... but because he is very smart, he is also transparent to other smart people. He's just a right wing conman.

Portadown madman

Paisley had great wit too when he put his mind to it.
Our ancestors cut a civilisation out of the bogs and meadows of this country while Mr Haughey's ancestors were wearing pig skins and living in caves."

Dr. Ian Kyle Paisley, Omagh 1981.

petunia

Caused a bit of a stir, I think.

Northsideman

Boris Johnson....surely.
Boris ain't in the Commons.

RedCloud

No Durkan quip concerning pira playgrounds ? :)

J

Johnny Boy

If he stood in ROI he would be teashop in an instant . Just for the craic.
Whereas if he stood in NI.................................some loyalist winoboy with an accompanying cider problem would send him a death threat for the crime of being moderately civilised............:)

Mickeymac

Whereas if he stood in NI.................................some loyalist winoboy with an accompanying cider problem would send him a death threat for the crime of being moderately civilised............:)

Wino loyalist boys do that sorta stuff on a daily basis unfortunately.

Ren84

I think our friend Boris would rather be parachuted into the Chorley Conservative party office than have to stand in any part of our wee island.

Truth.ie

Never knew that. For me, that is probably the best witty quote of the troubles, by a mile! I'd always assumed that it came from Mallon's background as a schoolteacher.
The "I can't believe it's not the IRA" quip came from me in a public forum, about 6 years ago.
A few months later I heard Paddy Kielty use in in his gig.
Thats my claim to fame anyway.:-(

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies