• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sean Dunne's bankruptcy....surely our government will take action?

Disillusioned democrat

The prospect of Sean Dunne walking away from his debts to the Irish people is such a travesty of capitalism and society that the government would have to respond....maybe by taking away his passport, his citizenship, something?

That Sean Dunne, whose ego drove him onwards to be the caricature of the Irish developer and paying stupid money for property long fare the smart money had gone elsewhere, is likely to walk away leaving somewhere between €500m and €1bn debt behind is beyond the typical joke played on the Irish people by so called capitalism.

He seems to confuse income tax with loan repayment and confuse having to employ people to do his work as philanthropy. He's claiming to be bankrupt while paying €20k a month in rent while people who bought his properties are being lined up by the banks to survive on €30 a week.

Surely our leaders in government would see fit to withdraw his passport and make it necessary to face Irish law as opposed to allowing him seek a better, faster, deal in the US courts....surely they're more interested in the well being of the Irish citizen and tax payer...right?

ShoutingIsLeadership

The Irish State taking on these debts, under FF/Greens, was the travesty to capitalism and any sort of decent society.

What is happening now concerns us only because of that crazy decision by FF/Greens.

commonman

He is renting a house at 20,000 euro a month over in the USA. crazy stuff.

Ryan Tubbs

The prospect of Sean Dunne walking away from his debts to the Irish people is such a travesty of capitalism and society that the government would have to respond....maybe by taking away his passport, his citizenship, something?
I'm all for scum like Dunne and his horrible wife paying a high price for their greed, but I'm afraid I have to draw the line at robbing them of their constitutional rights. I find it really worrying the number of those calling for "justice", fairness, and an end to the elites often call for measures like this. Last week it was barring relatives of TDs from standing for the Dail, this week it's this sort of thing....

niall78

Sean Dunne's bankruptcy....surely our government will take action?

:lol:

Sync

DD what constitutional basis do you think the govt has to remove citizenship from him?

Fr.Ted Crilly

I'm all for scum like Dunne and his horrible wife paying a high price for their greed, but I'm afraid I have to draw the line at robbing them of their constitutional rights. I find it really worrying the number of those calling for "justice", fairness, and an end to the elites often call for measures like this. Last week it was barring relatives of TDs from standing for the Dail, this week it's this sort of thing....
If he had stayed here and faced the consequences of his actions I would agree with you.

However, this rat jumped off the sinking ship and ran away to America to avoid his responsibilities.
His citizenship of Ireland should be revoked and he should be barred from entering the country.

He compares what happened to him to a game of golf FFS, he's laughing at the thick paddies from afar!

Disillusioned democrat

As far as I'm concerned Sean Dunne stopped being Irish when he went to the US to try to dump his gambling debts on the "little people" of Ireland by getting a quickie bankruptcy. You can't be "all for" him paying his debts but ALSO for him using the US to free him from these debts. Ironically the US wouldn't let their citizens seek bankruptcy abroad, so it's really ironic that they a facilitating him doing so.

I DON'T think the constitution was designed to let scumbags like Dunne dump €1bn of debt on the Irish citizens....what about my constitutional rights to NOT have to pay someone else's debts?

Last edited:

Hewson

Why? Every time the government doesn't want to do something they give us the 'unconstitutional' excuse. Like slashing the pension of the army of bums who wrecked the economy and the lives of thousands.

Dunne and his ego-tripping wife should be hounded by the state for every cent they (collectively) own, whether here or in the US.

Losing their passports should be the least of their worries and I'd be wholly in favour of barring either one from ever coming back here.

carlovian

Governments bankruptcy - shouldn't Sean Dunne take action ?

If we're going to take passports because of bankruptcy does that mean everyone in the
country has to hand theirs back.

Dunnes self serving statement only had one sentence of sense.

How come the last government forced us to pick up his tab ?

Sync

I DON'T think the constitution was designed to let scumbags like Dunne dump €1bn of debt on the Irish citizens....what about my constitutional rights to NOT have to pay someone else's debts?
Where's that written in the constitution?

Disillusioned democrat

DD what constitutional basis do you think the govt has to remove citizenship from him?
The Irish constitution was written in simpler times and doesn't really span this kind of scumbaggery....I would have thought the constitution would have protected me from having to pay someone else's gambling debts, but seemingly it doesn't.

Okay, so why don't the government give us a referendum tomorrow to revoke all scumbags passports so there's no confusion.

crossman

How come the last government forced us to pick up his tab ?
I'm not sure we did pick up much of it. A lot of his borrowing came from Ulster Bank and an Icelandic bank, neither of whom were paid back by the government.

Fr.Ted Crilly

The Irish constitution was written in simpler times and doesn't really span this kind of scumbaggery....I would have thought the constitution would have protected me from having to pay someone else's gambling debts, but seemingly it doesn't.

Okay, so why don't the government give us a referendum tomorrow to revoke all scumbags passports so there's no confusion.
I wonder what constitutional basis there is for the people of Ireland to pay this scumbag's debts?

Disillusioned democrat

I'm not sure we did pick up much of it. A lot of his borrowing came from Ulster Bank and an Icelandic bank, neither of whom were paid back by the government.
There's €250m in NAMA that will be unrecoverable in a week if his bankruptcy goes ahead....€250m buys a lot of nurses and teachers.

Hewson

Where's that written in the constitution?
It isn't. But the constitution is an out-of-date document that needs radical revision.

We can set up special courts to deal with people trying to undermine the state, but we can't get a banker or politician before the courts to answer for doing exactly the same thing, but without guns or bombs.

dresden8

There's €250m in NAMA that will be unrecoverable in a week if his bankruptcy goes ahead....€250m buys a lot of nurses and teachers.
Yeah but you're forgetting this is p.ie. Nurses and teachers are the real enemy. Public sector scum the lot of them.

Disillusioned democrat

It isn't. But the constitution is an out-of-date document that needs radical revision.

We can set up special courts to deal with people trying to undermine the state, but we can't get a banker or politician before the courts to answer for doing exactly the same thing, but without guns or bombs.
You'd almost be forgiven for thinking that the people who run the state were closer to the Dunner and his toxic ilk than the people who work, pay taxes and pay their salary....but surely that can't be the case?????

Fr.Ted Crilly

But hey, as long as it's all done legally, the i's dotted and the t's crossed and nobody here gets upset in case it's unconstitutional, it's all fine and dandy!