• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sean Fitzpatrick to be tried for financial misdeclarations

Sync

Six of the charges relate to Mr FitzPatrick knowingly excluding or failing to disclose the true amount of borrowings to him or persons close to him in statements to the bank’s auditors Ernst & Young. He was also charged with six counts of failing to disclose an arrangement between Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide Building Society under which the building society loaned him money between 2002 and 2007.
FitzPatrick sent forward for trial over Anglo-INBS loans - The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 01, 2013

He's been served with the first book of evidence today. Next court date is March 22nd, bail has been continued. Hopefuly the trial phase of this will be swift on the part of the DPP, they've certainly had the time to investigate it.

Verhofstadt

Website

Asparagus

Are there any sentencing guidelines for these charges?
Old Boys Sentencing instruction for cases involving old boys that can't be avoided.
"Drag out the sentancing until the accused is too old and / or infirm to serve time."

anewbeginning

Let's all just deal with facts and be careful what we say..we don't want to give his lawyers cause to claim he can't get a fair trial etc.

Sync

Are there any sentencing guidelines for these charges?
The maximum sentence for someone convicted of this would be 5 years I believe.

Samell

Isn't he bankrupt? is he on legal aid?

And his punishment if found guilty?

Fine? he is bankrupt, so he claims, so how could he pay that?
Imprisonment? hardly fits the crime really, but due to his age it would be short and or suspended.

So really it is a waste of time and money, can we not just exile him to Inishvickillane and sink the boat?

Ribeye

Silly sideshow to satisfy the bloodlust of the proles,

Keep them distracted from the stuff that is going on as we speak, which is much more serious!

RichardDeClare

5 Years is nothing for someone like him.

A long time ago, in a more civilised society, someone who had failed at his job so miserably as Sean Fitzpatrick would have thrown himself on his sword!

Clanrickard

Let's all just deal with facts and be careful what we say..we don't want to give his lawyers cause to claim he can't get a fair trial etc.
This country bugs me with the total shut down of comments on trials. In other common law system people comment on trials all the time and it isn't a problem. This serves to protect the wealthy and the powerful. Apart from this case of which I know little Fitzy should be charged with reckless trading as should many directors of Irish banks. And don't get me started on the auditors who have got Scot free from this.

Vega1447

A serious question not specifically related to S Fitzpatrick

The late CJH had the case against him suspended following allegedly prejudicial comments by Mary Harney.

The logic of this is that if I am about to be tried and can (not suggesting this happened in CJH case) "induce" a prominent person to make a prejudicial comment my case will be at least delayed?

More generally on the question of a fair trial & jury prejudice; if I gun down a room full of pols live on the 6 O'Clock news does not the pre-trial publicity guarantee that it will be impossible to find an impartial jury? And so I get off?

Extreme cases but what would happen?

Ribeye

H.R. Haldeman

What I don't understand is how the former Chairman of Anglo has now been interviewed, investigated, charged and sent for trial...and yet the former CEO hasn't even been spoken to.

Now, David Drumm might have no charges to answer at all, but the disconnect between one guy being all the way up to the point of trial, and the other not even being worthy of even talking to just seems so odd. I don't understand the massive blue water between the two.

At the very least, in the matter of serious criminal charges the likes of which Fitzpatrick will be tried for, one would have thought that Drumm would have been spoken to at least as a witness or to provide background information.

Don't get it.

Grumpy Jack

What I don't understand is how the former Chairman of Anglo has now been interviewed, investigated, charged and sent for trial...and yet the former CEO hasn't even been spoken to.

Now, David Drumm might have no charges to answer at all, but the disconnect between one guy being all the way up to the point of trial, and the other not even being worthy of even talking to just seems so odd. I don't understand the massive blue water between the two.

At the very least, in the matter of serious criminal charges the likes of which Fitzpatrick will be tried for, one would have thought that Drumm would have been spoken to at least as a witness or to provide background information.

Don't get it.
Drumm is in the United States and therefore beyond the reach of the authorities in this state.

He won't make himself available for interview either here or in the US - nor can he be made to.

And he can't be extradited to face questioning under Irish law. He can only be extradited to face charges.

Victor Meldrew

Is there not a concept of being "Libel proof", where one's entitlement to one's "good name" is moot as you don't have one?

tigerben

I'm sure Sean Fitz won't be a hero and take the fall to save anyones skin.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies