Sean Garland RIP

SuirView

A failed effort at political show trial, prosecuted by Progressive Democrat, Michael McDowell.

Thankfully sense prevailed and De Rossa won.

Shameful episode in Irish politics
Probably wouldn't have reached court today!
Disagree?

Verhofstadt

Website
Do you have similar kind words for Ceausescu, Hoxha and Kim Il Sung?
I didn't know any of them personally in the same way I knew Sean Garland, the first and last no kind words come to mind.

Hoxha had his moments but essentially did more bad than good.

To equate The Workers Party to the worst elements of totalitarian communist regimes does them a disservice in my understanding of the history of the party.

It may appear to be a somewhat nuanced view but in Ireland politics have rarely been without nuance.

Catalpast

A failed effort at political show trial, prosecuted by Progressive Democrat, Michael McDowell.

GUBU

Obviously one is limited in what can one say

But I bet you a Fiver there is a lot yet to be said....:cool2:

Levellers

How was it a show trial? De Rossa brought the action.

Brian Lynch, the disappearing man, was a brother of Bernard Lynch, the Labour Party member convicted of murdering Larry white. He is also the husband of defeated Labour Party TD Kathleen Lynch. A thoroughly disreputable bunch of forgers, racketeers, tax evaders, gangsters.

Verhofstadt

Website
How was it a show trial? De Rossa brought the action.

Brian Lynch, the disappearing man, was a brother of Bernard Lynch, the Labour Party member convicted of murdering Larry white. He is also the husband of defeated Labour Party TD Kathleen Lynch. A thoroughly disreputable bunch of forgers, racketeers, tax evaders, gangsters.
Dunphy's article in the Sindo was designed to leave De Rossa no choice but to defend his good name,

The Sindo and McDowell then used the proceedings to unleash every accusation under the protection of the courts.

Of course De Rossa won, but the powers that be were able to spread their muck anyhow.

Verhofstadt

Website
You omit to mention that Lynch was acquitted upon appeal.

That's some ommision.

Finbar10

You omit to mention that Lynch was acquitted upon appeal.

That's some ommision.
Acquitted on a legal technicality wasn't it? The key convicting witness statement turned out to been taken after the legal detention period of the witness had expired? Of course, yes, legally innocent after the original conviction was overturned on appeal.

SuirView

Does poor "Toland" remember Brian Lynch?

roryconnor

The Legacy of the Workers Party

Former Workers Party leader and IRA man Garland has died after a long illness, He was 84. His legacy strikes me as being somewhat mixed, to say the least.

Former Workers' Party president Sean Garland dies aged 84
Telstar 62

Border campaign, North Korea, Soviet Union, Ceaucescu, bank robberies,
counterfeit money.....

And still, he was a saint compared to the murdering Provo scumbags.....
His legacy is definitely mixed.

I once spoke to a priest from Northern Ireland about the Workers Party and the Catholic Church. I understood that the WP were VERY anti-clerical but both condemned the Provisional IRA. I wondered how that worked out on the ground.

He told me that Workers Party indeed hated the Church but for tribal reasons(!) they toned it down during the Provo campaign and let it rip later. This would tie in with former WP man Pat Rabbitte bringing down the Reynolds government in November 1994 with bogus allegations of complicity between Cardinal Daly and Attorney General Harry Whelehan to protect Fr Brendan Smyth. This was VERY shortly after the first Provo ceasefire agreement.

BUT the Rabbitte had split from the Workers Party and joined Democratic Left by then. And DL was supposed to have dropped their hard line support for Marxism and the Soviet Union. Was Rabbitte regarded as a traitor by the Workers Party? But he continued their hate-filled legacy. And the man who ignited an idiot episode of child abuse hysteria is now head of the child protection agency Tusla!

The Workers Party may not have much DIRECT influence now but it left a powerful legacy!