• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin 63 year RTE career.

topcat4

Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin passed away today, a much loved RTE broadcaster.

A number of RTE radio presenters paid tribute to him today, he seems to have been a very professional and courteous man, and sympathies to his family at this sad time.

In the link below there is a small biography about him, outlining his long career in RTE radio, I have one small bugbear about it, seemingly he retired only two years ago which means RTE employed him until he was 87, that's 23 years past retirement age.

Unemployment at over 14%, how are young presenters ever going to make a breakthrough when this continues.

I have nothing against Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin as I said above, I have heard nothing today only good things about him, but is anyone ever going to take RTE to task over this kind of thing?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gaa-world-mourns-broadcaster-o-ceallachain-585102.html

Last edited:
Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin passed away today, a much love RTE broadcaster.

A number of RTE radio presenters paid tribute to him today, he seems to have been a very professional and courteous man, and sympathies to his family at this sad time.

In the link below there is a small biography about him, outlining his long career in RTE radio, I have one small bugbear about it, seemingly he retired only two years ago which means RTE employed him until he was 87, that's 23 years past retirement age.

Unemployment at over 14%, how are young presenters ever going to make a breakthrough when this continues.

I have nothing against Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin as I said above, I have heard nothing today only good things about him, but is anyone ever going to take RTE to task over this kind of thing?

GAA world mourns broadcaster Ó Ceallacháin | Irish Examiner
He was likely a contractor. His choice as to when he retires.

If he'd retired at 50 no doubt there would be people saying "Waaaaah, Pravda are paying people so much that they can retire early."

Northsideman

Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin was a true gentleman.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

topcat4

He was likely a contractor. His choice as to when he retires.

If he'd retired at 50 no doubt there would be people saying "Waaaaah, Pravda are paying people so much that they can retire early."
Even if he was a contractor, which you are I take it you are only surmising, the point I made stands, can RTE not contract someone younger.

If it wasn't for TG4, there would be no young presenters at all.

I also want to re emphasise the point, he himself seems to have been a true gentlemen, my gripe is with RTE.

Even if he was a contractor, which you are I take it you are only surmising, the point I made stands, can RTE not contract someone younger.

I also want to re emphasise the point, he himself seems to have been a true gentlemen, my gripe is with RTE.
The Equality Act might be invoked.

Northsideman

Almost all of the main Broadcasters at Pravda are contractors, Duffy, Kenny, Finucane etc. There are not PAYE workers.

CookieMonster

Because he was "hugely respected", "well recognised", a "GAA Institution" and other such ************************e.

Seanie Lemass

He did ten minutes every weekend! He was the voice of the GAA for lonely old men in bedsits on the Holloway Road wondering whether TwoMileHouse had beaten Maynooth or Upperchurch-Drombane had beaten Holycross.

But hey, you use his death for something else :roll:

topcat4

He did ten minutes every weekend! He was the voice of the GAA for lonely old men in bedsits on the Holloway Road wondering whether TwoMileHouse had beaten Maynooth or Upperchurch-Drombane had beaten Holycross.

But hey, you use his death for something else :roll:
Not having a go at the man himself, read my posts before you comment please.

irishpancake

I always remember at the end of his broadcasts, he used the phrase...[please do not delete this Sync....I am paying homage to a much loved Irishman]

Sin a bhfuil de cúrsaí spoirt anocht

So Sean Óg joins Eamon De Búitléir...

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamnacha.......Ní bheidh a leithéidí a bheith anseo arís.

Please don't delete Sync......just let me pay my respects to two Gaels.

Seanie Lemass

Can you not address the point I made about RTE, and you are only assuming he was self employed, just because you type something doesn't make it fact!

The man is just dead so fk off. You must have little to be doing now :roll:

sidney waddell

Presumably the OP has the same problem with people like Alistair Cooke who continued presenting the BBC Radio programme "Letter From America" until he was 94, White House correspondent Helen Thomas who worked until 89 and would have gone on longer only for the ridiculous sensitivity of the Israeli propagnda brigade, and Micheal O'Muircheartaigh who commentated until 80 - and to quote one an earlier, ignorant, post, yes indeed - "hugely respected", "well recognised", and a "GAA Institution"! How about Dan Maskell who commentated on Winbledon until the age of 84?

The things people get upset about on this forum get ever more bizarre.

topcat4

Because he was "hugely respected", "well recognised", a "GAA Institution" and other such ************************e.
Hey Cookie, there is no need to have a go at the man, that's not what the thread is about.

Larry76

I used to listen to him myself on 567MW and 252LW when on the coaster's.

topcat4

The man is just dead so fk off. You must have little to be doing now :roll:
If you have a problem with my posts, please report them, also numbnuts read the actual posts before you comment on them.

Thats all this site needs another tool, with delusions of being a moderator.