Séan O'Rourke chooses Des Peelo to give soft-focus interview on the death of Maureen Haughey

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Hot on the heels of his fawning interview of one Michael Martin to mark another easy-hit, feel-good piece of populism (the new FF blurb on a united Ireland), Sean O'Rourke, old Fianna Fáil's unofficial spokesperson at RTÉ (though he has competition!) saw fit to mark the death of Maureen Haughey (née Lemass) by inviting in none other than the boss's old mucker and accountant Des Peelo on air to discuss her life and legacy.

We've become accustomed to RTÉ's habit of ... ehem ... "not speaking ill of the dead", so one would have been mad to expect a hard-hitting interview with Dessie, yet one might have expected a certain level of equality in that refusal to say negative things about dead people -- and yet Des felt free (and was left free by O'Rourke) to suggest that the other woman in Charlie's life, the late Terry Keane, was less than truthful about the length and intensity of her relationship with Sweetie.

My questions to posters are the following:

1. Should Peelo, as comprehensively disgraced a figure as his late boss, be invited on air to speak on a public service current affairs programme at all, and if so, if he should be used for such soft-focus pieces?
2. Is RTÉ's tradition of marking the passing of public figures with hagiographic pap be revised (I think you can guess my view)?
3. Was Maureen Haughey enough of a public figure to justify an extended piece (about 10 minutes or so)? After all, she was never herself in the public eye, and never sought to be in the public eys, and is chiefly famous for being Sean Lemass's daughter, Charlie Haughey's wife and a wronged woman.

Last edited:

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Hot on the heels of his fawning interview of one Michael Martin to mark another easy-hit, feel-good piece of populism (the new FF blurb on a united Ireland), Sean O'Rourke, old Fianna Fáil's unofficial spokesperson at RTÉ (though he has competition!) saw fit to mark the death of Maureen Haughey (née Lemass) by inviting in none other than the boss's old mucker and accountant Des Peelo on air to discuss her life and legacy.

We've become accustomed to RTÉ's habit of ... ehem ... "not speaking ill of the dead", so one would have been mad to expect a hard-hitting interview with Dessie, yet one might have expected a certain level of equality in that refusal to say negative things about dead people -- and yet Des felt free (and was left free by O'Rourke) to suggest that the other woman in Charlie's life, the late Terry Keane, was less than truthful about the length and intensity of her relationship with Sweetie.

My questions to posters are the following:

1. Should Peelo, as comprehensively disgraced a figure as his late boss, be invited on air to speak on a public service current affairs programme at all, and if so, if he should be used for such soft-focus pieces?
2. Is RTÉ's tradition of marking the passing of public figures with hagiographic pap be revised (I think you can guess my view)?
3. Was Maureen Haughey enough of a public figure to justify an extended piece (about 10 minutes or so)? After all, she was never herself in the public eye, and never sought to be in the public eys, and is chiefly famous for being Sean Lemass's daughter, Charlie Haughey's wife and a wronged woman.
so either she wasn't enough of public figure for a hard hitting piece or if you going to invite Des Peelo on, it has to be hard hitting?

flavirostris

Stream of consciousness garbage. Zoo

Eoin Coir

she seemed a dignified lady and the scut she was married to with his mistress Terri etc. How did she put up with it- I suppose Kinsealy & all the trappings were a help?

Vega1447

she seemed a dignified lady and the scut she was married to with his mistress Terri etc. How did she put up with it- I suppose Kinsealy & all the trappings were a help?
I expect that they were all right.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
so either she wasn't enough of public figure for a hard hitting piece or if you going to invite Des Peelo on, it has to be hard hitting?
Please stop being an eejit.

Maybe she wasn't enough of a public figure for such a long piece (I don't think she was). And maybe Des Peelo shouldn't have been invited on air at all, and certainly not for a soft-focus pap piece.

And they were questions.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Wife of crook dies, and national broadcaster interviews crook's accountant, by way of tribute to wife of crook. Wife who lived off crook's ill-gotten gains, and seemingly never got a visit from the CAB.

Crook's accountant was also accountant to another Taoiseach. This one had his mate running a charity. Crook's/Taoiseach's accountant was also nuts deep in that charity.

Yeah, this is Ireland.

Oh, and on our national holiday, when we're meant to celebrate being Irish.

sic transit

She was 91, long-suffering to her husband's adventures through life and was never a public figure. RIP. At times like this no-one should care who's commenting on someone's life.

sic transit

Wife of crook dies, and national broadcaster interviews crook's accountant, by way of tribute to wife of crook. Wife who lived off crook's ill-gotten gains, and seemingly never got a visit from the CAB.

Crook's accountant was also accountant to another Taoiseach. This one had his mate running a charity. Crook's/Taoiseach's accountant was also nuts deep in that charity.

Yeah, this is Ireland.

Oh, and on our national holiday, when we're meant to celebrate being Irish.
In Ireland some of us also don't speak ill of the dead or do that character by assassination by association.

milipod

Haughey was that your man who used to bite the heads off birds with some french geezer on his private Island.

ShoutingIsLeadership

In Ireland some of us also don't speak ill of the dead or do that character by assassination by association.
Speak ill of the dead, my hole. If speaking the truth is not nice to hear, then maybe that's a reflection of the life lived.

And by the way, how did my post speak ill of Mrs Haughey?

Sister Mercedes

If Radio & Television had been around at the time of the Borgias it would have looked much like Montrose. Except with more balance and not as much nepotism.

sic transit

Speak ill of the dead, my hole. If speaking the truth is not nice to hear, then maybe that's a reflection of the life lived.

And by the way, how did my post speak ill of Mrs Haughey?
Eh, this bit of your own post.

Wife who lived off crook's ill-gotten gains, and seemingly never got a visit from the CAB.
You're clearly in a score settling mood and that's your prerogative. I'll go with RIP.

sic transit

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

Eh, this bit of your own post.

You're clearly in a score settling mood and that's your prerogative. I'll go with RIP.
Score-settling?

OK, if you think that that's speaking ill of the dead, then you either think that it's false, or that it's true and I shouldn't have said it. Which is it?

sic transit

Score-settling?

OK, if you think that that's speaking ill of the dead, then you either think that it's false, or that it's true and I shouldn't have said it. Which is it?
Read the post I responded to. You didn't have a lot of good to say about anyone alive or dead.

Hewson

She was 91, long-suffering to her husband's adventures through life and was never a public figure. RIP. At times like this no-one should care who's commenting on someone's life.
Dragging Maureen Haughey into the glare of Charlie's lousy public image is just another version of visiting the sins of the father on his sons. Charlie was a philandering narcissist, just like Trump, but on a smaller scale and I'm damned if I can see any reason for the vitriole leveled against her. She shunned the limelight, probably suffered silently her husband's duplicity and idiotic vanity in the interests of maintaining a veneer of respectability. She's to be pitied, not ridiculed.

As for a miserable ten minute slot on RTE after nine decades on the planet?

So what?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies