Sean Power questions whether Cowen is best to lead FF

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
According to David McCullough on RTE News Sean Power asked if Brian Cowen was the right person to lead FF in the next election.

It was made at a Fianna Fail parliamentary party meeting tonight.

Sean Power was a member of the infamous "gang of four" which moved in 1991 against then-Taoiseach Charlie Haughey, it led to Haughey's resignation and election of Albert Reynolds as Taoiseach.

jmcc

Regime Change In Progress?

Regards...jmcc

DCon

Step up Johnny Gormley. Now is your chance!

dalywise

But FF then gave Cowen an ovation. Those FF boys really are hoots.

carlovian

According to David McCullough on RTE News Sean Power asked if Brian Cowen was the right person to lead FF in the next election.

Any idea of the answer or is there a Colm Mc Carthy led taskforce to come up with the reply ?

Tomas Mor

Leave him there, somebody else who has no baggage might revive their fortunes .

Effin Effer!!!

Power's not a known Cowen supporter, to put it mildly.

His comments don't appear to have recieved any support at the meeting.

Me thinks Sean has one eye on keeping his seat while making this statement?

dalywise

Who in the party of Haughey, Lawlor, Burke, Ahern, Foley, Collins, etc etc has no baggage? I'd confidently predict nobody.

neiphin

beautiful
mccoulough says
" sean power also questioned brian lenehans....(pause stutter i meant) ) brian cowens"s ability to lead ff into next election"

bmw1

+1
he finished off the rest of the country so we might aswell give the plick a fair chance to finish off fina fall

borntorum

How did the exchange go?

Power: I don't know if you're the man to lead us, Taoiseach.

Cowen: I am yeah.

Power: Grand so.

CookieMonster

How did the exchange go?

More along the lines:

Cowen: I am yeah, and all these gombeen men beside me think so to. I'm the Taoiseach... who are you?

It at least shows the Power has enough balls to stand up in front of the man and his party colleagues and say what he thinks. It shows some degree of conviction over deciding to sneak about behind his back issuing "mutterings" or whatever it was before the Enda heave. He's also never been a "Cowen man" nor was he a "Bertie man" either. I think he judgement on leaders have been pretty sound. Fair play to him.

borntorum

More along the lines:

Cowen: I am yeah, and all these gombeen men beside me think so to. I'm the Taoiseach... who are you?

It at least shows the Power has enough balls to stand up in front of the man and his party colleagues and say what he thinks. It shows some degree of conviction over deciding to sneak about behind his back issuing "mutterings" or whatever it was before the Enda heave. He's also never been a "Cowen man" nor was he a "Bertie man" either. I think he judgement on leaders have been pretty sound. Fair play to him.
Fair enough. But if he's not a 'Bertie man' and he's not a 'Cowen man', whose man is he? FF doesn't need another malcontent like John McGuinness, forever sniping from the backbenches but never actually taking a stand

sport02

How did the exchange go?

Power: So what are you having to drink.

Cowen: My usual, oh better not, got an interview in the morning.

Last edited:

CookieMonster

Fair enough. But if he's not a 'Bertie man' and he's not a 'Cowen man', whose man is he? FF doesn't need another malcontent like John McGuinness, forever sniping from the backbenches but never actually taking a stand
But what can one or two men do. Bringing down the govt and sending in into hand hands of Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee isn't exactly in their interests either, is it?

theoutsider

Until one of these back benchers walk the walk and talk the talk all it is is them trying to distance themselves for individual electoral gain

CookieMonster

Until one of these back benchers walk the walk and talk the talk all it is is them trying to distance themselves for individual electoral gain
That's rather silly to expect them to do that. They are still members of Fianna Fail and it's not like they want to gift power over to Fine Gael and/or Labour just because they're unhappy with Cowen. Cowen is prob less popular than Nixon was when he ran from office, it's hardly surprising that people in the party are unhappy with him... Lord knows the rest of us are.

morbro

Is it time for the likes of Power, McGuiness & one or two others from FF to do the decent thing and cross the floor and join with FG or Lab.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies