• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sean Russell Challenge

near90-fm

Following the recent painting of two Nazi (swastika) flags on the Séan Russell statue in Fairview Park, Near 90 fm is issuing a challenge to the protagonists involved.

To the invisible (anti-fascist) opposition we are offering an opportunity to have your views of Russell heard and perhaps even vindicated.

To the National Graves Association, we are affording an opportunity to demonstrate why Séan Russell should be commerated as a national hero and not villified as a Nazi collaborator.

To the area's public representatives we are offering an opportunity propose solutions to this long-running and increasingly bitter dispute.

If you wish to take up the Near 90 fm Séan Russell challenge, contact Michael FitzGerald on (01)867-1190.

near.ie - Home

near.ie - Seán Russell Challenge

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
What? No one prepared to defend Russell publically? :rolleyes:

Oh look, a tumbleweed...

stewiegriffin

Hindsight is wonderful isnt it ? Who knew the extent of Hitlers 'madness' in 1941 ? DeValera hadnt copped it by 1945 .

Libero

It's a good idea to have a debate on the issue.

But why insist on inviting on-air those who took part in the vandalism?
Why not just invite those who oppose the statue itself - whether or not they condone or took part in the vandalism?

I suppose it's sexier to feature real, actual vandals/righteous defacers. Is that it?

Bakunin

It's a good idea to have a debate on the issue.

But why insist on inviting on-air those who took part in the vandalism?
Why not just invite those who oppose the statue itself - whether or not they condone or took part in the vandalism?

I suppose it's sexier to feature real, actual vandals/righteous defacers. Is that it?
It's certainly more interesting. So let them come and make their case.

The problem is - some bootboys on here have expressed clear ideas of how the 'vandals' should be dealt with, if vandals they be.

If that reflects the general mentality of the supporters of the statue, (not narrowly the NGA, of course) then it's clear that the thing should be blown sky high once and for all.

the shadow

I think that the NEAR FM idea is a good one and would urge the protagonists to take the station up on the offer. It would make for good radio and might stop the never ending threads on the topic.

Bakunin

I think that the NEAR FM idea is a good one and would urge the protagonists to take the station up on the offer. It would make for good radio and might stop the never ending threads on the topic.
I agree it would be good radio. But how would you guarantee the safety of the statue's defacers ? Can't very well feed them to the lions if they've taken a stand on principle.

We have been told here recently by certain people sympathetic to Russell's overall position that Dublin is small, they will/would be found by Republicans, and broken limbs etc etc.

What would Sean Russell say ? His supporters sound worse than his detractors.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
There's an obvious answer here. Demolish the tribute to the nazi collaborator and replace it with one to someone else who was involved in the Anglo-Irish war on the Irish side. Sean Lemass would be a good choice.

mothball

The problem is - some bootboys on here have expressed clear ideas of how the 'vandals' should be dealt with, if vandals they be.

If that reflects the general mentality of the supporters of the statue, (not narrowly the NGA, of course) then it's clear that the thing should be blown sky high once and for all.
:roll: Such stupid reasoning.
So the people who oppose vandalism of a national memorial are the bad guys. Bravo!

I suppose people who suggest that they’d do such and such to a burglar are terrible people and don’t deserve to live peaceably in their own homes.

As for the people vandalising this statue, they must be aware by now that it’s only a matter of time before they’re caught red handed. The Gardaí may look the other way, but many others won’t. I just hope that the people who eventually catch these brain dead criminals do the right thing by obeying the law and don’t resort to forcibly stopping these acts of vandalism. Heavens forbid.

Libero

There's an obvious answer here. Demolish the tribute to the nazi collaborator and replace it with one to someone else who was involved in the Anglo-Irish war on the Irish side. Sean Lemass would be a good choice.
Nice try but that sop to Fianna Fáil would not please supporters of Russell.

I have an idea that should gain the support of both Fianna Fáilers and supporters of Russell: open a book of condolence.

Or have FF developed a sudden aversion to that sort of thing where Nazis are involved?

Bakunin

:roll: Such stupid reasoning.
So the people who oppose vandalism of a national memorial are the bad guys. Bravo!

I suppose people who suggest that they’d do such and such to a burglar are terrible people and don’t deserve to live peaceably in their own homes.

As for the people vandalising this statue, they must be aware by now that it’s only a matter of time before they’re caught red handed. The Gardaí may look the other way, but many others won’t. I just hope that the people who eventually catch these brain dead criminals do the right thing by obeying the law and don’t resort to forcibly stopping these acts of vandalism. Heavens forbid.
Opposing vandalism is not the same as advocating the vandals have their limbs broken, in a knowing kind of way. Get a grip. It's only a statue, of a dead guy, who had a dubious relationship with dubious people, and some of whose admirers are just bootboys. No great loss.

You call it a national memorial - other people have pointed out in other threads that it is put there on private ground, by the NGA. I couldn't say one way or another. In any case, a national memorial it certainly is not, in any meaningful sense.

Secondly, it's totally crap reasoning for you to blithely equate private individuals protecting their own homes and property, with the public display of a contentious eyesore as the statue in question.

Even with all that said - if you put a statue of Hitler or Stalin (I'm not equating SR with them, before you start) in your front garden, what then ? You might think it's ok, just because it's your property, but you'll deserve all the vandalism you will rightfully get for that.

Vandalism is in the eye of the beholder. It wouldn't be my way of doing things, but I have no problem as such with it being destroyed.

Your last sentence - I don't know what you're trying to say, but I have the feeling you haven't the balls to say it.

Last edited:

Cael

I imagine the imperialist gobsh1tes who did this wouldnt be able to explain why they did it anyway - beyond the fact that they love painting Nazi flags.

mothball

The ones who are in the Real IRA are yes. They have no mandate to police my community or any other community.
Why did you quote my post in order to write that? I have nothing to do with the cokes, nor did I even mention them in any way shape or form. :|
I'm not sure what they have to do with this statue.

SevenStars

I imagine the imperialist gobsh1tes who did this wouldnt be able to explain why they did it anyway - beyond the fact that they love painting Nazi flags.
It was probably Anarchokidists who generally hate Republicans and not Imperialist gobsh!tes.

mothball

Even with all that said - if you put a statue of Hitler or Stalin (I'm not equating SR with them, before you start) in your front garden, what then ? You might think it's ok, just because it's your property, but you'll deserve all the vandalism you will rightfully get for that.
Why are you promoting crime? I wouldn't like to see someone putting up a statue of those men, but what harm is it if it's on their own property.

Vandalism is in the eye of the beholder. It wouldn't be my way of doing things, but I have no problem as such with it being destroyed.
Vandalism is vandalism. It's not in the eye of the beholder. It's a crime and as simple as that. Certain acts mightn’t elicit an open condemnation from me, but I would have no part in anything I would regard as vandalism.

Your last sentence - I don't know what you're trying to say, but I have the feeling you haven't the balls to say it.
Say what? I basically said that I oppose violence to vandals. I'd much prefer them to be handed over to the Gardaí. You and I know what will happen to them if certain people catch them. These people don't have be involved with any particular group.

The OD

Whilst its debatable as to what people knew about the death camps and the final solution back in 1940, it was well established that the Nazi regime was without a doubt, an evil regime.

I for one am sick and tired of being painted as being some sort of imperialist just because I find the legacy of Russell as being, at best, distasteful, more probably, shameful.

Both him and DeValera were well aware of the capabilities of the Nazis even before World War 2 and for all those who cheerlead his activities, remember, he had no problem treating with the people who invaded Poland in 1939, the same type of imperialist power that oppressed us for so long.

But that was OK - imperialist oppressors are only bad if they oppress us. The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy, simple as that.

Russell was willing to accept the support of a widely established racist, sectarian, aggressive, expansionist, bloodthirst tyrant.

I can see no reason to have a statue of such a man in this country.

This issue seems to divide people into those who are willing to look beyond blind nationalistic fervour to the real issue and those who couldnt give a damn as long as it involves giving the Brits and their legacy the two fingered salute. Sad really.