Seanad bill to ban LGBTQ conversion therapies

CookieMonster

The Prohibition of Conversion Therapies Bill 2018 would make it illegal for any person to perform or offer to perform conversion therapy on a person. It would also make it illegal to advertise conversion therapy. A person could be fined up to €5,000 and/or imprisoned for up to six months for either of these.

It would also make it unlawful for a person to remove a person from the State for conversion therapy. A person could be fined up to €10,000 and/or imprisoned for up to 12 months for this.
'A deceptive practice': Seanad passes bill to ban LGBTQ conversion therapies

Having seen documentaries about the practices used in these so called "conversion centres" this is a worthwhile bill.

USER1234

So you are allowed to transition gender, but not sexuality ?

Cyp
Gender transition is a medically valid procedure while conversion theraphy is pseudoscientific bullcrap denounced by all reputable medical, physiological and welfare groups as dangerous to anybody who uses it!

Last edited:

Niall996

I don't know. I'd like to option to psychologically convert to a gay woman some day if I choose. Who's business is it if that's what I want?

Banjo Baker

Some people actually claim that this has worked for them.

It's the same form of cognitive therapy that's given to paedos. Louis Theroux did a great doc on on this subject when he visited a nonce rehabilitation secure facility in the USA.

Dame_Enda

Banning it would protect vulnerable teenagers from religious pressure from parents who want to send them to quacks to "straighten them out".

Its notable that since we voted to save the Seanad, it has been much more active in the legislative process.

On the other hand, what if in future scientists discover the genes for sexual orientation, and an adult wants to either convert to straight or indeed convert to gay or bi. Do we want to criminalise them? Or just to criminalise the providers of this 'service'?

USER1234

Some people actually claim that this has worked for them.

It's the same form of cognitive therapy that's given to paedos. Louis Theroux did a great doc on on this subject when he visited a nonce rehabilitation secure facility in the USA.
What happened to choice?
Again conversion therapy is pseudoscientific bullcrap denounced by all reputable medical, physiological and welfare groups as dangerous to anybody who uses it!

silverharp

I have often thought I might pose as gay, and offer the suggestion to some "conversion centre" that I might respond to intense immersion therapy.
that's a sub plot in some US TV series that I cant remember the name of, the guy in question spends a weekend in a hotel with Christian hookers much to his amusement :D

CatullusV

I don't know. I'd like to option to psychologically convert to a gay woman some day if I choose. Who's business is it if that's what I want?
The act appears to make it illegal in the state as well as illegal to remove someone from the state for that purpose. I'm sure that if you have personal agency you can travel freely for it.

The Field Marshal

More horsemanure from the Irish Seanad.

Gender is genetically determined.
A genetic man can not become a woman or vice versa.

If he /she/ it thinks they are a different gender then they need serious medical treatment.

If that means conversion therapy I am all for it.

Clanrickard

Clanrickard

Again conversion therapy is pseudoscientific bullcrap denounced by all reputable medical, physiological and welfare groups as dangerous to anybody who uses it!
Agreed. As is homeopathy and many things but we don't jail people for using them do we? Or advertising them?

D

Deleted member 45466

99% of alternative medicines and therapies are frequently dismissed by medical professionals. They haven't been banned, have they?

The Field Marshal

It is not worthwhile. People peddle all sorts of mumbo uumbo but we don't jail them. Seantor Warfield has an obsession with LGBT. Is there nothing else for him to be doing?
Who elected this obnoxious twat?

Bill

It is not worthwhile. People peddle all sorts of mumbo uumbo but we don't jail them. Seantor Warfield has an obsession with LGBT. Is there nothing else for him to be doing?
he's a senator, so no

former wesleyan

Careful. He could start singing come-all-ye's !

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies