• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Seanad by-election for Agricultural Panel

Breanainn

Will almost certainly be required if Grace O'Sullivan takes the fourth Ireland South seat, rather than the Brexit berth. On the last occasion, O'Sullivan took the final seat on the inside panel of the Agricultural Panel, edging out Jennifer Whitmore of the Social Democrats - given both share a Dáil grouping, and the parties will have over 60 councillors to serve as electors, will the Greens come to a gentleman's agreement, giving the Soc Dems a free run on this occasion?

jmcc

Hard to say. The Greens certainly benefited most from the LEs and the Euros but would there be any electoral benefit (DE) in not running a candidate or voting for the SocDem candidate?

Breanainn

Hard to say. The Greens certainly benefited most from the LEs and the Euros but would there be any electoral benefit (DE) in not running a candidate or voting for the SocDem candidate?
Would be a stopgap measure, given a GE will almost certainly be held by this time next year, when both parties could fend for themselves.

jmcc

Would be a stopgap measure, given a GE will almost certainly be held by this time next year, when both parties could fend for themselves.
Ryan has already been in the news talking about six TDs. If the current anti-FG vibe keeps up, it could get more. It always helps to have allies so it is possible that the Greens could give the SocDems a free run. It is not exactly a vote transfer deal yet but it would give the SocDems a bit of a leg up in the Seanad. Think that the voter demographics for the two parties, apart from age, may be quite different so it would be a bit of a pincer movement against FF/FG/Lab/SF.

gijoe

I'm open to correction but I think it's just Oireachtas members have a vote in a Seanad by-election, no vote for Cllrs.

jackryan

I'm open to correction but I think it's just Oireachtas members have a vote in a Seanad by-election, no vote for Cllrs.
Yes that is correct. Defo hard to predict in the current Oireachtas.

gijoe

My bet is that it will be another Independent with SF/left leaning support will make it over the line ahead of an FF or FG candidate.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Will almost certainly be required if Grace O'Sullivan takes the fourth Ireland South seat, rather than the Brexit berth. On the last occasion, O'Sullivan took the final seat on the inside panel of the Agricultural Panel, edging out Jennifer Whitmore of the Social Democrats - given both share a Dáil grouping, and the parties will have over 60 councillors to serve as electors, will the Greens come to a gentleman's agreement, giving the Soc Dems a free run on this occasion?
does the 6 month limit for Dail bye-elections apply to the Seanad? does the gov have so much control over that

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies