Seanad Elections 2020

Baron von Biffo

Lets not get hung up on labels.
You're the one using a label for which you can cite no support.

If there was no difference between his status and that of a Taoiseach elected by Dail Eireann,
Varadkar is a Taoiseach elected by Dail Eireann. It's not possible to become Taoiseach in any other way.

the CC wouldnt have needed to say what he did about how legislation can't be passed after Sunday without an elected Taoiseach.
The CC has offered an opinion on a matter of constitutional interpretation. Others have offered the contrary view.

Dame_Enda

You're the one using a label for which you can cite no support.

Varadkar is a Taoiseach elected by Dail Eireann. It's not possible to become Taoiseach in any other way.

The CC has offered an opinion on a matter of constitutional interpretation. Others have offered the contrary view.
Varadkar was rejected in the vote for Taoiseach by the current Dail.

Round tower

Varadkar was rejected in the vote for Taoiseach by the current Dail.
Yes but the votes for Mary Lou and Martin as Taoiseach was also rejected so Leo was the last nominaation for Taaoiseach was agreed sso he is the Taoiseach till the Dail elects a new Taoiseach.

Fullforward

Seanad count will be in Dublin Castle next week.

fifilawe

Nero played his thingamajig while Rome went up in flames and Our Dear Politicos play silly games with each other while the country is in an Emergency not seen in generations.I'd be very happy if all TDs just for 12 months got a grip and put the Nation first not their political egos which are almost on a par with Little Rocket Man Kim Jung Un.

shiel

Nero played his thingamajig while Rome went up in flames and Our Dear Politicos play silly games with each other while the country is in an Emergency not seen in generations.I'd be very happy if all TDs just for 12 months got a grip and put the Nation first not their political egos which are almost on a par with Little Rocket Man Kim Jung Un.
Using the Seanad which should have been got rid of to undermine the anti-corona virus efforts is some shite.

shiel

At the best of times the Seanad is a complete waste of space.

Now it almost seems obscene.
It is incredible that the superfluous Seanad is being used by the insider elite to undermine the current anti-virus programme.

Mercurial

I've just sent off my ballot, first time voting in the Seanad election (on the NUI panel). It's a shit institution but as long as we're stuck with it I figure I might as well have a say. I ended up giving everyone a preference except Ronán Mullen.

MOSS1

It's a seriously wacky line-up for the NUI panel; that's always the case but it seems especially so this time. I really do wonder why some of these candidates are running, is it that they're lonely and in need of the publicity? Some of the pitches read like the 'what I want to be when I grow up' essay from a fourth class pupil. It's so bad that not alone did I give Michael McDowell a first preference, I didn't even have to think about it! I wouldn't be a traditional supporter of his and would disagree with him as often as I would agree but at least he understands the role and I think in the current climate with the unelected government pushing through some questionable legislation someone who can give that bit of scrutiny is necessary.

Finbar10

It's a seriously wacky line-up for the NUI panel; that's always the case but it seems especially so this time. I really do wonder why some of these candidates are running, is it that they're lonely and in need of the publicity? Some of the pitches read like the 'what I want to be when I grow up' essay from a fourth class pupil. It's so bad that not alone did I give Michael McDowell a first preference, I didn't even have to think about it! I wouldn't be a traditional supporter of his and would disagree with him as often as I would agree but at least he understands the role and I think in the current climate with the unelected government pushing through some questionable legislation someone who can give that bit of scrutiny is necessary.
Yes, there were a fair few randomers running (posted my ballot off last week). Only got to about 10 preferences before I gave up. There was an academic with a specialization in housing policy (can't recall the name) who sounded like he might be useful in the body. Actually gave McDowell a relatively high preference (would have been far from being a PD voter back when they still existed, but in fairness he'd probably be a bit more useful than most of the other candidates in the Seanad).

MOSS1

It's often been said that the NUI electorate isn't very representative of the electorate as a whole or at least of how they behave in other contests. When you look at the 3 outgoing Senators there certainly seems to be an element of truth in that. Two of them have in recent years contested European elections and fared abysmally. McDowell in fairness has a reasonable electoral record even if he has yo-yoed in and out of the Dail.

Popular Threads

Most Replies