Seanad quango to be replaced by democratic body

Lúidín

Taoiseach says electing people from Northern Ireland will give the Seanad an 'all-island dimension'

Today's statement seems to imply that the Seanad may become a democratic institution replacing the present unelected quango.

Among the recommendations to be explored, according to a report in The Journal.ie, is the idea of allowing Irish citizens living abroad the right to vote in Seanad elections. This could lead to the situation where Irish citizens, living in Ireland, could go to England to vote in a house of the Irish parliament.

midlander12

Taoiseach says electing people from Northern Ireland will give the Seanad an 'all-island dimension'

Today's statement seems to imply that the Seanad may become a democratic institution replacing the present unelected quango.

Among the recommendations to be explored, according to a report in The Journal.ie, is the idea of allowing Irish citizens living abroad the right to vote in Seanad elections. This could lead to the situation where Irish citizens, living in Ireland, could go to England to vote in a house of the Irish parliament.
So people living here would not have a vote for the Seanad but people living abroad would. Right so, ultra-democratic!

We had our chance to abolish this pointless talking shop and we flunked it. I suppose we deserve it, really.

Analyzer

Leo the Useless, is making a fool of himself, on this.

Apart altogether that the media oligopoly that is owned by three tax non dom billionaires, are the basis of his power, because that media conglomerate rallied behind his candidature of the FG leadership.

And it continues to give him support - as exemplified by the numerous scandals involving his former Tanaiste, who is a hapless idiot.

paddycomeback

The first idea is bonkers. The Senators elect Unionists to Seanad Eireann. Will they have to swear loyalty to the Republic? What nation would deliberately bring an enemy into its legislature?
And the diaspora. We go to the expense of maintaining a register of hundreds of thousands of Irish abroad to elect what? Four or five waffle-merchants?
And all graduates to be allowed to elect Senators. So we go backwards from universal suffrage.
Varadkar is crazy.

Analyzer

The danger is that Unionists loyal to the Old Empire might be elected to the Seanad, and that they might prove more likely to sabaotage the country than the nEU Empire loyalists.

gijoe

Feck sake they are going to give the riff raff IT graduates a Seanad vote now! Is nothing sacred?? :p

SPN

How is the Seanad a quango?
It's not, but that assertion, like the rest of the OP, is complete bóllix.

Key phrase: "Among the recommendations to be explored".

But let's not get bogged down in the facts when we can be shyting on with nonsense.

wexfordman

How is the Seanad a quango?
Whatever, there is something distinctly unsavoury and elitist about only allowing "educated" citizens to vote for seanad candidates. Can't understand how yhsta allowed to continue in this day and age.

cricket

I voted for the abolition of the senate and the latest proposals being considered make me think I was right.

Finbar10

Fair dues to Varadkar if he actually does this. Sounds like a reasonable way to revamp it within the current parameters of the constitution (vocational panels open to voting by all; one combined university panel; less seats voted on by councillors). I'd wonder if even this limited reform will ever actually happen though. Too tempting to have the Seanad there as an emergency lifeboat for those who fail to get elected or re-elected to the Dáil. I notice that it's mentioned that these measures will be introduced for the Seanad after next. A bit like Augustine's prayer: "make me pure, but just not yet" :) , perhaps we'll get around to some limited reform someday (just maybe not too soon! :) ).

Last edited:

sadmal

I voted for the abolition of the senate and the latest proposals being considered make me think I was right.
Me too and everything I've read or heard about them since then has confirmed I was right.

A expensive debating society for the privileged elite.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Fair dues to Varadkar if he actually does this. Sounds like a reasonable way to revamp it within the current parameters of the constitution (vocational panels open to voting by all; one combined university panel; less seats voted on by councillors). I'd wonder if even this limited reform will ever actually happen though. Too tempting to have the Seanad there as an emergency lifeboat for those who fail to get elected or re-elected to the Dáil. I notice that it's mentioned that these measures will be introduced for the Seanad after next. A bit like Augustine's prayer: "make me pure, but just not yet" :) , perhaps we'll get around to some limited reform someday (just maybe not too soon! :) ).
he let the Enda Kenny plan of a Manning Report implementation group hang about for another year and now has come up with setting up a committee to report on another committee report

Last edited:

Windowshopper

I think replacing the Seanad with something like the Citizen's Assembly would be a good idea.

Aquilius

Not sure if my understanding is correct, but from what I can gather is that there's a suggestion that Irish citizens not resident in the state be they living up North or elsewhere around the world would have a vote in future Seanad elections, but citizens living with the Republic would not?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies