Sean's show is over...Sean Hughes, Comedian, dead at 51

Brenny

if true, its another reason we all need to talk about booze. Sean had a beautiful mind, tragically snatched away from us before his time.
We are all talking about booze.................and mental health and obesity. Some people drink and it messes them up, some people drive and get themselves killed. I don't think we should ban drink or cars. The ironic tragedy is that some of the brightest people out there are the ones that hurt themselves the most with drink and drugs. White western rock stars abused drink and drugs throughout the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and since they cleaned up their act the quality of music has been shíte. Some people aren't designed to be in bed by 10pm every night and taking everything in moderation, those people are often the ones with the most colourful lives. Sean Hughes often hinted that he didn't want a long live, I hope that he got to live the life he wanted:

In a 2014 interview with the Irish Times, the funnyman described how his life of "extreme" hedonism had taken its toll on his body - and how he would hate to grow too old.

"The dream is that, one day, people will live forever," he told the publication.

"Well, I don't want to live forever. I can think of nothing worse. I'm aiming for 75 to 80. I don't want to be in a nursing home aged 120, and the nurse coming over and saying: 'Are you enjoying your 120th birthday, Mr Hughes? Blink if you are'.

"How many blinks for 'turn off this machine'? And who is Mr Hughes?"
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/sean-hughes-dead-late-comedian-11350209

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Plenty on YouTube to get a good laugh from a good irish guy. He was an original taste in comedy. RIP.

L'Chaim

Never rated him highly. He was a bit too grumpy for my liking. He also came across as quite bitter about the success of other comedians. I remember, in one case, he was quite scathing about Bob Hope saying Hope wasn't a comedian because he didn't write his own jokes. If we'd held others to that standard there's have been no Rock 'n' Roll as we know it because Elvis never wrote his own songs either. I found Sean Hughes to be a whinger and a bore

willow68

I saw him in the Mick Lally Theatre in Galway there a few years back. He was very dry and funny. A few young lads heckled him, the eejits. His humour was lost on the millennials. Afterwards he signed a book for us, and he was a perfect gentleman. Full of sadness though, I thought. Vale Sean. You went too soon.

monsieur chat

Never rated him highly. He was a bit too grumpy for my liking. He also came across as quite bitter about the success of other comedians. I remember, in one case, he was quite scathing about Bob Hope saying Hope wasn't a comedian because he didn't write his own jokes. If we'd held others to that standard there's have been no Rock 'n' Roll as we know it because Elvis never wrote his own songs either. I found Sean Hughes to be a whinger and a bore
Well. You can piss off.

Angler

I'm sure it's of some comfort to him that his untimely death comes as a relief to you .

redneck

RIP Seán, a really funny man.

Travis Bickle

One of the few funny Irish comedians. Met him at a gig once. Very down to earth.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I liked him. There was something sad about him but that seems to be the case with a lot of original comedians.

I got the sense he was trying to cheer himself up as well as an audience. Loved Sean's Show with the conversations with Beckett.

He wouldn't be the first comedian to attempt to exorcise demons or make sense out of life by interacting with an audience.

I think I'd have liked him if I met him sitting on the stool next to mine in a sheltered establishment.

And there's not many I can say that about.

Boy M5

Only really knew him from Never Mind the Buzzcocks - RIP
I thought for you fellas pop music stopped with Max Bygraves and Ruby Murray.

Boy M5

Bigtime---for some reason, he didn't maintain that initial rock star status-sensed he was too intelligent for comedy
Our paths crossed a few times.

He didn't regard himself as a rock star.

He was intelligent, gentle and vulnerable. Which also meant he was defensive & sharp tongued.

He didn't play thebstadiums like Baddiel and pals.

He had a career but not the career his intellect and talent deserved.

I'm so sorry he turned to drink - he folded inwards.

Socratus O' Pericles

I liked him. There was something sad about him but that seems to be the case with a lot of original comedians.

I got the sense he was trying to cheer himself up as well as an audience. Loved Sean's Show with the conversations with Beckett.

He wouldn't be the first comedian to attempt to exorcise demons or make sense out of life by interacting with an audience.

I think I'd have liked him if I met him sitting on the stool next to mine in a sheltered establishment.

And there's not many I can say that about.
he may have tried to exorcise his demons with more than an audience. Funny and existentialist- my kind of comedian.

L'Chaim

I'm sure it's of some comfort to him that his untimely death comes as a relief to you .
Now how did you come to that conclusion. Talk about misleading

Most Replies

Top Bottom