• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Searching for "Jew" on google

The Caped Cod

It doesn't do that for google.fr
Google

It is odd. Anti Defamation League perhaps.

flamez911

Notifying people that they don't support disgusting anti-semitism is "PC gone too far"? Then what is PC not gone too far? Accepting people shouting racist epithets on the streets? I agree that sometimes there is overcensorship based on political correctness but notifying people that you don't support a horrible anti-semitic site called "Jew Watch" is okay in my books.

Aj1990

I try typing in racial slurs,but there is no warning for them.

advertismo

It only looks like a way of warning people about the content they might find under that search. If someone enters a deliberate term of abuse, they know what to expect.
I wasn't aware that 'Jew', as opposed to 'Jewish' was more likely to be used derogatorily.

rhonda15

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo"]YouTube - Borat - Throw the Jew Down the Well!![/ame]

Aj1990

but when i type in black man,there is no warning for that.

Rocky

The question is do you get racist sites if you type in Black Man or whatever? If so you have an argument, if not then you don't.

Didimus

The disclaimer is based on the search results. After wikipedia the next result is for an obviously racist website, then after Borat there is a link to a racist book. If the word Irish prompted similiar crap to come in at the top of the search list would you object then to Google having some sort of explanation printed next to the results?

flamez911

The reason there's no warning for "black man" is because racists are more likely to use a different term for a black person, specifically one beginning with "n".

However- someone searching for "jew" is likely to get both Jewish sites and racist sites, as the differences are less evident (the only real linguistic one is that racists use "Jew" as both a singular and a collective noun ("the Jew" as a plural)).

Obviously if someone searched a racial slur then they would expect racist websites, but if someone searches for a word, only looking for the religion of Judaism as opposed to a number of nutjobs, racists, and conspiracy theorists.

martino

I just typed in '******************************', and there was no warning from Google.

mazzington

I just typed in '******************************', and there was no warning from Google.
The presence of a warning isn't based on the perceived offensiveness of the search term, it's based on the search results. Were the search results returned of a racist nature?

Didimus

As a matter of interest what prompted a one word google search on the word Jew?

Derrida

I tried 'IslamoFascism' - no problem. In fact, google is very helpful in showing you how Islam is basically a fascist doctrine.

I read a Forbes list of the most powerful lobbies and the Jewish lobby was second behind the National Gun Club or whatever you call those eejits. But that list was never repeated, appearantly the AIPAC didn't like it !!

I once heard Alan Derschowitz call Matt Cooper anti-semitic because Matt framed a question referencing a high level of Jewish influence on American public life.

The rule is: if Jews don't like it, it's anti-semitism.

reknaw

I can't figure out why anyone other than a rank beginner or near computer-illiterate would type in such a vague term as "Jew" in a Google search. I just did it here Google and got 14,200,000 results - and no warning.:rolleyes:

This is one of the pictures I got when I did a Google picture search.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies